Can someone please explain GE to me?

I think the largest problem sometimes is that many fans forget that the "E" doesn't stand for "entertainment." An effect is something altogether different.

Some effects are intrinsically easier to "connect with the crowd" on an emotional level than others, but it doesn't necessarily make them more important, IMO.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's obvious that none of the DCI judges has a clue what GE is. Can we all get on the same page? Can someone from DCI explain it? My impression was that its supposed to be about connecting with the crowd... but the corps that are winning GE aren't connecting with me at all.

20 years in this activity, and I really have had it with the judging system. Can we please just hand the trophy to BD so we can go on with our lives... sheesh.

Hmmm... sounds like you may have more issue with an "outcome" than you do with the "judging system"

GE is about design and the effectiveness of the marching members to pull of that design // their "show"

It is not about which show gets the most applause // never has been

Perhaps your idea of what is "Good GE" doesn't agree with mine / doesn't agree with the judges

I am not a big BD guy (last year I felt Cadets should have won) - but this year's BD program is extreme GE - and with their performance levels it's probably unlikely they will get beat.

Hmmm... sounds like you may have more issue with an "outcome" than you do with the "judging system"

GE is about design and the effectiveness of the marching members to pull of that design // their "show"

It is not about which show gets the most applause // never has been

Perhaps your idea of what is "Good GE" doesn't agree with mine / doesn't agree with the judges

I am not a big BD guy (last year I felt Cadets should have won) - but this year's BD program is extreme GE - and with their performance levels it's probably unlikely they will get beat.

Winner.

You beat me to it. My question is what corps are you a fan of (Newseditor) that you think should be scoring higher and is getting "screwed by the judges"? I could take a guess and probably be right, but I would rather hear it from his/her own mouth.

Here is the link to the DCI judging criteria...its suppsed to explain everything.

Remember, GE is VERY subjective.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=d...ac-24b3dd384d25

Can't we just quit complaining about scoring, and just enjoy DCI?

I'm really getting tired of people pitching about the BD winning all the time, or Cadets using narration (not that I like it much) but come on, DCI is supposed to be entertaining! Its not a sport. Yes, its much more rigorous and physically demanding than most sports, but its entertainment. And I love it! I dont really care who wins, I just like to watch the fancy drills and leave with bleeding ears. Thats all I ask for. :wub:

IF DCI is not supposed to be a sport (or, I'm assuming you mean 'competitive'), we should do away with competition completely. not only will it end all of the debates, but it will save us waisted money as well.

Winner.

You beat me to it. My question is what corps are you a fan of (Newseditor) that you think should be scoring higher and is getting "screwed by the judges"? I could take a guess and probably be right, but I would rather hear it from his/her own mouth.

But I would like to know why entertainment value for the fans is not factored into the equation. If I understand what you are saying, there is no consideration given in this department. Which leads to a very interesting question, do we design the show for the judges, or the fans?

Also, isn't it odd how quite a few comments on the board this past year year talked about how their favorite shows were placed 3-7 in 2007, and of those, most did not care for Cavi's and BD? Does this mean that in order to win, you have to give up a little of the audience connect (not all, just a little)... becuase I see the same thing happening this year.

By the way, I'm waiting for you to take a guess at the corps I don't like. ;) Why does it matter which corps I like/dislike? Actually, its not about the corps, but the shows. I love BD, great organization, one of my all time favorite corps, but I really don't care for their show this year.

Edited by Newseditor44

Also, isn't it odd how quite a few comments on the board this past year year talked about how their favorite shows were placed 3-7 in 2007, and of those, most did not care for Cavi's and BD? Does this mean that in order to win, you have to give up a little of the audience connect (not all, just a little)... becuase I see the same thing happening this year.

You can like a show better than another one...doesn't mean it was executed as well.

Its not cut and dry like so many people seem to think. You can have an effective show and not perform it as well as someone with maybe a slightly less effective show. Its not just about effect, there are other captions. Just because a show is effective or well-liked doesn't mean it was performed at a high enough level to win.

Here is the Box 5 language from the 2006 sheets...

Visual Effect - Repertoire

Program always displays quality substance. Concept is always understood, successfully and effectively developed. Imagination/creativity are constantly woven into the program. Integration and pacing are highly successful in generating effect. Performers always exhibit a superior understanding of the intent, delivering its message in superior fashion. Coordination of all elements is superior over time. Entertainment from effect options is superior.

Visual Effect - Showmanship

Performers demonstrate a superior level of communication. Their involvement is effortlessly displayed throughout the program. Emotional efforts are genuinely displayed by the performers while they are being asked to develop a wide range of responsibilities and roles. A superior performance level is demonstrated while creating a dynamic engagement with the audience. Precision is superior.

Music Effect - Repertoire

The repertoire constantly produces an optimum effect maintaining the highest levels of audience intrigue and aesthetic appeal. The superlative blending of all audio/visual elements with an absolute command of the principles of artistry and continuity. Climaxes are demonstrated in a superior fashion. Entertainment from the various options in effect is superior.

Music Effect - Showmanship

Superlative achievement by the performers in the communication of emotional involvement and intensity. The audience is constantly captivated, engaged and intrigued by the ability of the performers to infuse the written program with the appropriate and desired feeling, aesthetic qualities and intensities. The highest demonstration of professionalism and excellence is constantly present.

In my experience, I can usually match the visual language up to the scores given pretty easily. I have a harder time with the music scores. I suspect part of my disconnect is that the language on the music sheet is "tainted" by requiring the judge to evaluate visual elements as part of the music caption.

You can like a show better than another one...doesn't mean it was executed as well.

Its not cut and dry like so many people seem to think. You can have an effective show and not perform it as well as someone with maybe a slightly less effective show. Its not just about effect, there are other captions. Just because a show is effective or well-liked doesn't mean it was performed at a high enough level to win.

Which leads me to my next question... how do you judge GE? Isn't it subjective? On any given night, could you and I disagree who might win the battle in the GE department? If it is that subjective, doesn't anyone else see where this might cause problems?

I think DCI should go to a vote system. Let the audience vote. kind of like Dancing With the Stars. Oh wait, that would make it a popularity contest. Never mind. <w>