Alaskan Heat

Does anyone know anything about them other than 80 members and sister corps to Surf?

I'm really interested to hear about them.

Anyone have pictures or video or anything?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i assume this is just a joke. its obviously impossible to read sarcasm on threads. it would be sick though if the state of alaska managed to put out a competitive open class corps. 80ish members sounds realistic if they have a VERY good recruiting program. i doubt there are many marching bands up there so that would be the biggest task at hand most likely. that and getting an experienced staff from the local region.

I have a friend who was a band director in Alaska for 3 years before he moved back to the states in the early 2000's. I asked if he had heard of them and he actually had. :bluedevil: It was just a group he had heard of in passing.

He is not a drum corps or marching band person at all. After I described the activity to him he laughed and said that they might benefit from the SUN NEVER GOING DOWN in the summer for a time - holy s###! He said that people draw all their shades to make some assemblance of night.

Again - not a confirmed sighting. Maybe they're a parade corps or something?

When I was at Surf I remember Bob Jacobs mentioning something like a sister corps or like a sponsorship program of sorts from somewhere far away, but I don't recall if Alaskan Heat is them.

i assume this is just a joke. its obviously impossible to read sarcasm on threads. it would be sick though if the state of alaska managed to put out a competitive open class corps. 80ish members sounds realistic if they have a VERY good recruiting program. i doubt there are many marching bands up there so that would be the biggest task at hand most likely. that and getting an experienced staff from the local region.

Colony High School has the only marching band in Alaska (that I have seen or heard of, anyway). At one time I think they claimed to be the only one in the state.

The only Alaskan drum corps listed on CorpsReps.com is the Corps of the North from Fairbanks.

I heard that Alaskan Heat just bought Atanta Corpsvets old drums and has already taken delivery.

Interesting article on Alaskan band participating in National parade in Washington DC.

"Burton said he tried to prepare the students for that by making them march outside this summer along the streets near Colony in their winter coats.

"But every time we did, it rained," he said.

On parade day, he did the next best thing: He loaded them with water.

Each student was required to drink a liter before the parade started, Burton said. And they carried two liters of water in backpacks as they marched. Drinking tubes extended from the backpacks to their mouths so they could get a quick sip when they needed one. When the marchers reached the end, they were given more water or Gatorade."

Anchorage Daily News aritcle.

Edited by jonnyboy