Drum Corps and Religion

....this is a topic that has been of some interest to me since I first saw drum corps in 1998. I have often wondered what effect drum corps has on one's religion, especially for those who have marched drum corps. For instance, did drum corps help you to appreciate your faith background even more? Did it push you away from your faith? I know for myself that the lessons I learned in drum corps helped me to appreciate my faith even more (I must say, however, that I am some what biased seeing that I marched corps in the midst of my seminary formation). I can't help but see many ties between religion and the drum corps activity: regimented life-style (to some degree), respect for others (and the activity), perseverence, common bond (brotherhood/sisterhood), etc.

Lastly, I am wondering, if it were possible (and I understand it was like this in the past for some corps), to have religious chaplains in the activity. What I mean is, could it be of some advantage to drum corps participants if there were chaplains available for members to talk to during the season?

What are your thoughts.....?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, in general, drum corps helps individuals discover themselves and solidify their self-perceptions. If one is inclined towards religion, I could absolutely see them becoming more appreciative of their faith. Myself, having been agnostic for years before touring (despite a Catholic upbringing), found comfort in my beliefs by being exposed to many different people with diverse values and schools of thought.

Not speaking from my personal experiences, since I'm Agnostic, but I know most corps make a sincere effort to accomodate members' religious practices. Sometimes, it's going to be impractical (I'm not aware of any Chassidic Jews marching anywhere, for instance, and don't know that it would be practical for any corps to have a "Sandy Koufax rule.") but if it's just a matter of setting aside an hour on Sunday, most corps I'm familiar with have tried to accomodate.

With few if any corps still overtly affiliated with religious organizations, I'm unaware of corps who proactively advocate going to a specific church or synagogue. Nor am I aware of any corps having bible study etc. while on tour. Would be interesting to learn that I'm wrong there!

As for a corps chaplain, I think a few corps have/had affiliated religious (generally RC priests) who have held services etc. but again, I'm not aware of any clergy on full tour with a corps. I know that existed in the days when corps were sponsored by churches but then "tour" was different then. But just like corps have doctors and nurses who were alums and come back to assist with camp physicals, I'd imagine if you wanted to volunteer as chaplain for a corps, many organizations would be happy to have you.

a corps chaplain is lamest thing Ive ever heard of...its not practical....corps dont even have a medic, why have something way far, down, down the priority list as a chaplain, taking up room on a coach, slurping up the food, etc? maybe he could be a souvie/fix it/ pit crew type of guy who calls himself "chaplain"...or "charlie"... :bluedevil:

With few if any corps still overtly affiliated with religious organizations, I'm unaware of corps who proactively advocate going to a specific church or synagogue. Nor am I aware of any corps having bible study etc. while on tour. Would be interesting to learn that I'm wrong there!

I think there was a thread about Pioneer attending church as a group while on tour.

My faith in Christ was quite often the subject of conversation with several of my neighboring bus seat pals. They loved to "test" me on different things, to see if I would "give in". I had lots of opportunites to share the Gospel and unfortunately, lots of opportunities to sin. I learned a lot about myself from corps... about how vital my faith was to me, about how weak my flesh is apart from the power of the Holy Spirit... and how it is possible, never perfectly... but striving to be like Christ, to live a life for Him in drum corps.

My faith in Christ was quite often the subject of conversation with several of my neighboring bus seat pals. They loved to "test" me on different things, to see if I would "give in". I had lots of opportunites to share the Gospel and unfortunately, lots of opportunities to sin. I learned a lot about myself from corps... about how vital my faith was to me, about how weak my flesh is apart from the power of the Holy Spirit... and how it is possible, never perfectly... but striving to be like Christ, to live a life for Him in drum corps.

I too think that this is one of the greatest thing about drum corps - exposing young people to new people that they might not otherwise have met. It gives them the opportunity to see outside themselves, to learn how others live, and to really grow in their faith and learn how it can help (or hinder) them in their lives.

As far as chaplains go, I don't think they're needed. In this day and age, a person's pastor is only a phone call away. But please take this with a grain of salt, as I never marched and am a certified "heathen" by any religious standard.

a corps chaplain is lamest thing Ive ever heard of...its not practical....corps dont even have a medic, why have something way far, down, down the priority list as a chaplain, taking up room on a coach, slurping up the food, etc? maybe he could be a souvie/fix it/ pit crew type of guy who calls himself "chaplain"...or "charlie"... :bluedevil:

We had one. Even though I'm not a Christian, he was wonderful to have around. He was a soft, stabilizing force. I disagree with you.

I think there was a thread about Pioneer attending church as a group while on tour.

Oh man... That's pretty cool.