Crown will not win it All!

I think what most of you are failing to realize is that this activity is judged based on someone's OPINION and SUBJECTIVITY.

You can inform me of the validity of judges and their experience all day. Or how complex and layered the DCI rules and judging has become. It still does not invalidate the argument that the judging is practically "fixed".

Should we parallel sports/champions and the DCI champions?

We could parallel figure skating's judging, which is a joke. Most athletes and the general public believe that fact, just take a look at the polls if you do not believe me.

I played competitive hockey for 25 years and I can tell you, no one decided who was a champion except the players themselves.

Figure skating or DCI cannot claim that, thus there will always been an argument who is really the champion from year to year.

Many of you also fail to recognize that the DCI board and the head offices are run by folks who are in the top 4-5 corps. They have an interest in rules, judging and the way the activity is run to the point they usually tilt the playing field in their favor (wouldn't you?). If you owned a top 3 corps, most of you would not care if a small corps folded or was having trouble with a rule.

Therefore....as I have stated before in another blog, DCI's activity only favors 4-5 corps, and if your not in that elite group, your screwed.

And no, I am not wrong "FieldofBlueDreams".

You... like most other "fans", buy into the argument, judging or virtual propaganda.... that the judging and officiating is fair and right. And you cannot go through history to make a point, because it just supports the flawed system (4-5 elite corps).

How many corps were just amazing, and they got screwed because they weren't apart of the elite's 4-5 corps?

The system is flawed, not the kids/members. Most shows are fairly entertaining. Crown is just another amazing corps that will get screwed because of DCI politics and judging.

Maybe what should happen... is there should not be judging any more. Maybe they should just perform, because that is why Drum Corps started to begin with. After all, you can't judge in the current DCI system and not have a controversy.

Actually,

I tend to agree with "Field of blue" here.

This is just another case of "My favorite corps didnt win, so now the system sucks".

If the system "Favors" only a few "elite" corps, why arent the Scouts still on top? Why didnt Star win again after 91? why didnt Phantom win again after 96? If the Kingsmen come back to tommorow, would DCI "Favor" them since they were the first "elite" DCI corps?

No...

This is a common reaction from fans who dont understand all of the technical process or judged criteria.

I went through this earlier this year with the Indoor line i direct.

We definetly had the "Funnest" show out there in our circuit according to most and an online judging poll.

People always came up to me to compliment the kids and tell me how we got "Screwed", or "Robbed" becuase we landed in 5th place.

I was personally VERY happy despite a "losing" season because the audience reaction was fantastic and our kids truly felt like "Pop Stars" as was our theme. But i knew going in to the season that we were very young (14 rookies out of 22) competing in the world class, and would land near the bottom. We were just glad to make finals.

But still, at show after show after show, I would just say "Thanks so much! The kids are having a great time". I decided not to try to explain the judged criteria.

I would just tell people to keep coming to shows and cheer those kids on.

So if you hate DCI judges and the placements and the system, then just watch the show, enjoy, and get out of there before they read the scores! Its easier to get out of the lot anyway!

Tony

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually agree with most of what RobH says and there is no doubt that when human judging is used to determine a winner it becomes very subjective. Whether it be personal taste or personal favor it will always come through and how easier to control the outcome than by making the default majority based on GE. Talk about an area that can not be pin pointed!!

As for why Star did not win after '91. We were as disliked by DCI as we were by drum corps and many fans.

I can tell you why their drumline's where it is.

It's because they aren't staggering around like a bunch of drunks while they're playing their show! :tongue:

:tongue: LOL. good one.

Back on topic, crown is great! just not championship material just yet. If you can honestly say that every section in Crown's corps is better in every caption than Cavies/BD, thats the day they will have a shot.

Just a shot? Is there some reason for the hesitance to say that they will win if the afformentioned is achieved?

Wonder what that is? We know.

Just a shot? Is there some reason for the hesitance to say that they will win if the afformentioned is achieved?

Wonder what that is? We know.

Yup. Its because even if crown is better than those 2 corps, they still have to beat about 17 other corps to win. CLEARLY thats what he was getting at.

(youve gotta admit...with crown losing to cadets, and having not seen scv and or pr, that they have more to worry about then beating bd and cavies. But keep on dreamin if it makes you happy)

Edited by salad315

Yup. Its because even if crown is better than those 2 corps, they still have to beat about 17 other corps to win. CLEARLY thats what he was getting at.

(youve gotta admit...with crown losing to cadets, and having not seen scv and or pr, that they have more to worry about then beating bd and cavies. But keep on dreamin if it makes you happy)

But keep on dreaming if it makes me happy hu? You seem a little worried about something.

To be honest... MOST of crown could care less about a title, its ALL about the crowd response!

To be honest... MOST of crown could care less about a title, its ALL about the crowd response!

Agreed. Sometimes I think judging should be cut all together. Hell, based on that, crown would have been at least 2nd if not first last year lol.

Posted this in the Houston thread last night...

So, is it safe to say that the Crown wins over The Cadets were similar to last summer's Bluecoats win(s) over BD and The Cavaliers? The spreads might be different, but I think the situations are similar.

I still think Crown will be in the top 5.

But keep on dreaming if it makes me happy hu? You seem a little worried about something.

Dude...its drum corps. The only things to be worried about are corps folding / getting thousands of dollars stolen. Since we took care of that one, I'd say its a pretty smooth sailing day for me :tongue: