open note to DCI

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drum Corps is more than winning. I think the kids of Pioneer should be proud of belonging to a classy organization.

Love you guys!

I don't think Pioneer being 10 points behind the competition necessarily means they are doing something wrong. I think this year's Pioneer show is the best I have ever seen. It is just that the other 19 corps happen to be on a different level talent wise. I truly don't think the kids that march at Pioneer ever expect to place in the midst of the other corps... yes, they may strive for that, and that's great.... but they probably are not that disappointed at their scores. It's not like they are not getting any kids to march for them. In spite of their consecutive last place finishes, they have survived, while many corps that were stronger have not... They must be doing something right. There are even 2 corps (Magic and Cascades) that were finalists within the past 6 years.... Pioneer is sure scoring better than them this year.

random note out of curiousity hunting down when the last time pio beat another div 1 corps: July 31, 2002, Sioux Falls, SD

random note out of curiousity hunting down when the last time pio beat another div 1 corps: July 31, 2002, Sioux Falls, SD

Pio placed higher than Kiwanis Kavaliers in 2005

Pio placed higher than Kiwanis Kavaliers in 2005

######...this is what happens when i hit corpsreps after midnight

Its cool

I had the great opportunity last year because of my announcing responsibilities for DCI-Pacific and DCI to meet Pioneer and to meet their director, the famous Roman Blenski at the Long Beach Kingsmen Family Night show. I too have spent many years equating scores and placements with the term success, and rarely could I see past that equation. But I will tell you this. And this is from someone who is about as removed from the Pioneer organization as I can be--I live in Southern California, I never see Pioneer at shows, I don't know anyone there, I think I only know one person in the entire state of Wisconsin, etc, etc. But what I saw last year that came out on the field to perform an unpaid exhibition to the crowd was a corps that had a TREMENDOUS amount of pride and family and esprit de corps. It DID NOT MATTER ONE WHIT what scores and placements were, because I could see success in the faces and attitudes of those kids and their very enthusiastic (and young--or I'm just freakin' gettin' too dang old) staff. Mr. Blenski gave me a copy of their corps "handbook" as a small gift as I sort of created a script for them right on the track, and this is a corps that honors their history, their traditions and their values. Can a kid get that kind of training from any other corps. Perhaps, but Pioneer makes sure it gets taught and internalized and bammo. What do you get every year? It may not be the most difficult, trend creating, outside of the box thinking, progressive and innovative show you ever saw. Heck, it may not even be clean.

But I can guarandamntee you those kids are getting a great experience from an awesome organization that teaches the RIGHT things, and I bet those kids are better for it.

I think DCI judges could give them a -35.9 and have them in last place until DCI fizzles, and it wouldn't matter. Because I bet ya Pioneer will STILL exist and will STILL....BE....SUCCESSFUL.

I don't speak for them officially, but I think it's safe to say they don't want any freakin' pity points, thank you very much.

Well said, Ryan. As usual. :offtopic:

Edited by skajerk

I don't know that they would really be pity points. I truly don't believe they are being fairly judged. I think people who have a hard time with the theme of the shows need to look in the mirrors. I think Blue Knights have used up the dark theme. I think Cadets have used up the narration theme. I think SCV has used up its classical theme, I think Cavies have used up the park and blow, drop on the ground, get up run like olympic athletes and park and blow again theme, etc. That is a cop out. Judge them fairly and they can still place last. Judgement is ALL GUESSWORK ( not how clean you do it, tics are gone ). So guess BETTER. Give the kids the reason to keep working. I wasn't asking for pity, I just don't like the way this is heading. 19 corps, and I am betting there will be a few less next year