The San Antonio Ice House - Pre and post show discussion.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can take that show FAR once it's clean!

Competitively, I don't know that they can. Look who's on top of them, and it's hard to say who they can pick off in the 8th-6th range.

Ok, so top four today?

BK

BS

Glassmen

...and I'm thinking Crossmen. I don't love the show, but it's visually and thematically more cohesive than either Spirit or Madison, and the guard is several steps up over Madison.

Edited by mobrien

Regarding the Colts.

In terms of design, this is a step back from last season.

Brass - the impact in the ballad was the highlight of the show. Bueatifully done. There were numerous intonation issues throughout the show, but I question the arranging of the music too.

Seemd to be alot of overplaying in big impact sections which took away from the impact.

Visually speaking -- Drill was muddy with different marching styles across the board. Again, I am not a fan of the design. Transitions, particularly in the opener were making me uncomfortable for the kids.

Guard - Great work and really sold the show.

Overall, The show needs alot of cleaning, but I am not with some of the naysayers. I think this corps can make a run to stay in the top 12, but some redesign needs to take place.

Great job Colts!

I agree with you - but some design changes need to take place and fast.

The opener is the weakest part of the show - especially visually. There is very little movement (drill wise) and the hornline seems to only have 2 dynamic levels. BIG opening brass and colour guard statement, but staging and the fact that they aren't moving is hurting them.

For the remainder of the show, they put in transitions for the sake of transitions. None of which fit into the show or are smooth.

Colourguard wise - lose the 2 or 3 skirt changes - they are distracting and hide the guards legs. Form,body and equipment are needed by the guard (seriously it is what the judges have on their sheets) and the skirts are hiding the body work, and creating muddy form and work.

The new ending drill - I like it - just clean it up.

One of my fav BK shows in recent history. I love how they embrace how different they are and keep on going. This was not their best show, that might hurt them. Blue Stars may not pass, but they could possibly be much closer.

Great job Blue Knights!

I don't see much of any difference from anyone else. Unless you count the little horse kick and that they can't get away from the words dark and knight.

Edited by jblamb1401

The hand-painted are a big tradition with BK... they've been using them since the mid 90s. I like them.

That said, the ill-fitting part I agree with, with a few of the performers...

If you think that you need to go back to ear training 101. Not even close unless you count "they had articulation."

I just really thought I remember hearing those last three notes from them sometime in the past.