It's not narration that's the problem, it's Cadets' pr

I think the Cadets narration would probably be more successful had they created the script around the music and not the music around the script. Bluecoats did just that and most corps that use narration probably do. Cadets seem to develop a story, write the script and then plan the show. And another example would be the use of narration in Crowns 2007 show. It gives you a chance to see if it'll work or not instead of it being embedded into the show and, to remove it, would mean to change the show entirely.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair TX, you must be conflicted as well as it will be hard for some of you to simply stereotype him as just another "hater".

For me it is not a surprise to read another FMM of The Cadets feels this way. Many I have spoken to in person have said some of the same things.

Not at all. Some people are actually able to express their concerns for a corps in a respectful and tasteful way, and I respect that a lot, no matter the corps or the person typing. Heck, I share some of his concerns. There is a big difference between this guy and how some of you have expressed your "concern" for The Cadets and their designs over the past few years.

I disagree with the subject line. Yes, the problem is the narration... You have a talented unit playing a great book , and it takes second seat to a narrated story that is just plain BAD!!

The narration is poorly written , badly performed, and adds nothing to the show. It actually makes you squirm in your seat at times.

Also,, am I the only one who is bothered, that even after all the changes in this show, The show still ends with narration, not music!! why guarantee that the crowd will be sitting on their hands when the show ends.

No, the problem is not the bad PR.. it is the insipid narration.

I disagree with the subject line. Yes, the problem is the narration... You have a talented unit playing a great book , and it takes second seat to a narrated story that is just plain BAD!!

The narration is poorly written , badly performed, and adds nothing to the show. It actually makes you squirm in your seat at times.

Also,, am I the only one who is bothered, that even after all the changes in this show, The show still ends with narration, not music!! why guarantee that the crowd will be sitting on their hands when the show ends.

No, the problem is not the bad PR.. it is the insipid narration.

You just basically said that it's the Cadets problem. Not the narration.

Edited by amjn

As one who has been against amplification from day one, it's time for a concession: Narration can work in a drum corps show. The Bluecoats and Carolina Crown proved it last year, and Bloo is proving it again this year. But in those cases, narration is used as an accent. (In Crown's case, the effect of the narration, a last-minute addition to an already wildly successful and popular show, was probably negligible; I don't know that it had an impact one way or the other.) Contrast that with the Cadets, who are bent upon turning the football field into a pulpit to preach to the congregation. Look, if the Cadets had simply shut up last year, they likely would have won. The problem this year is that they don't quite have the hornline they did last year; the loss of that firepower and its attendant ability to compensate for the narration is killing their GE.