It's not narration that's the problem, it's Cadets' pr

I'm not sure that is productive either.

It may lower your blood pressure but not have any real impact on this "situation".

I'm genuinely curious what George sees that no one else does at this point.

I'm not really sure what he sees. I'll I know is what he posts on his blogs and on the website. I have not really talked to him personally about his new vision. God knows I wish he would end this. It's just giving people another reason to hate Cadets. But I do know that he is not a man who gives up easily. And I do respect him for that.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what has happened here is that people (myself included) have become entrenched in their positions without having any real understanding of the interests that are driving those positions.

It might be helpful if George would clearly articulate from the 10,000 foot level, if you will, what he hopes to accomplish with regard to the activity by pursuing this path.

It is divisive.

Those of us that oppose narration do not see what George does.

I do not think he understands how polarizing this is or more disturbing may enjoy the controversy.

I am not uniformly against narration, but I am against anything done poorly on the field. We have only seen a few instances of this done well so far. Bluecoats 2007 is one. I will have to think hard about another.

I think both The Cadets and Bluecoats have rather second class efforts this year. The Bluecoats effort fits, but really distracts when it is not needed at times. The Cadets is required to tell the story, but it is told in a manner that would cause me to reach over and change radio stations, not due to the topic, but rather the self-absorbed manner and how badly the topic of personal happiness is being dealt with. If Sarah Jones is real, I hope I never meet her. She needs her priorities refocused. I get my happiness (most often) by making others happy around me.

What really surprises me is that I have always known The Cadets for their uncompromising quality. They never put absolute trash out there. Some ideas do not get the best treatment (Jethro Tull?), but they are really careful about what goes out there. This has not been the case on narration.

I would have expected that the staff would have been sure to get it right. They are not putting their best foot out there. Why? I really can't answer this one. Was their first effort with The Zone and a championship too easy? I think not. But I am at a total loss to explain the half-hearted effort. I know there are many out there that love this show, but do you really believe that this narration is the very best The Cadets are capable of? I think they can do much better. Is a total rewrite admitting fault? The egos are very big in this activity. I can't explain it, only surmise.

Thanks a lot. :thumbup: I sure do miss those days.

IT's amazing what the first valve on the trumpet can do lol :-) Tekk I miss hearing you give the starting pitch to Holy Name

EAST!!!

I think what has happened here is that people (myself included) have become entrenched in their positions without having any real understanding of the interests that are driving those positions.

It might be helpful if George would clearly articulate from the 10,000 foot level, if you will, what he hopes to accomplish with regard to the activity by pursuing this path.

It is divisive.

I do not think he understands how polarizing this is or more disturbing may enjoy the controversy.

Here's George's 2002 Amps propsal. It was linked recently on another thread.

I don't know whether this reflects his current views, but he certainly lays out the rationale he had at the time for incorporating marching band elements in that document. There are 20K high school bands with 2M members. He wants to make those people drum corps fans, and he thinks the way to do it is to be something of a (in his words) "rock star for bands".

I do think on some level George must enjoy the controversy around himself and the Cadets. He has a far larger public presence than any other DCI director or official and that's what makes him the lightning rod for the criticisms people have. I mean, BD got their share of criticism for "Yowza", but it's not like Dave Gibbs was writing a blog or posting on DCP to defend the show. They took their lumps, moved on, and everyone seems to pretty well have forgotten about it by now.

Ive seen this show a couple times this season... and I too, have

to agree, that narration IS NOT needed to tell a story......

The Cadets show has very many wonderful musical moments..

Their drill design is up to par for them, and generally, it appears

that the members are doing a good job in selling the show...

What bothers me is that this show is almost a second-hand

issue to some "Ozzie and Harriet" 50's TV show that is taking

place on the 50 in the middle of the field....!

Why can't this specific corps, not come out and do a show that

will move the croud to appreciate the show for it's musical and

movement/design elements, AS THEY DID THRU THE 80's and

into the 90's ???

When they did "when kings go off to war", we didnt have to hear

about James, one of the knights.. that went off to take care of

the business at hand... 2008's show is great WITHOUT the

narration, but why must we hear about all the issues of her

health problems....? Just do a drum and bugle corps show..!!

Thats all the fans of this organization care about !

Whats up for next year... The dealings with colon cancer ?

:thumbup:

Mike

Edited by AmmerMP

WARNING: GH compliment ahead. Move on to the next posting if your constitution can't take it:

I saw GH in Madison three weeks ago. Got me wondering: Do all corps directors travel for the whole 6 week (give or take) summer tour? Is that the norm?

I must confess that once I spotted GH - and it wasn't hard, as he walked up the stairs and watched the show from just a couple rows in front of me - I spent about half the time watching him watching the Cadets (madscotty - maybe it's watching "his" watching the Cadets - sorry for the grammatical error). His body language - he was so into the show. I could tell his loves "his" kids. He was clapping and cheering the horn and percussion licks, right along with the crowd (and then some). He cupped his hands behind his ears to concentrate on the more demanding parts - he knew, obviously, the parts the corps was working hard to clean. Well, anyway, it put a human face on the "master of evil". AND, being about my age, he appears to have NO gray hair. What's the deal with that??

I guess there's no point to this post except to say I was impressed to see a corps director 1000 miles from home in JUNE at a little competition in the midwest. So I ask again, is this what all corps directors do today?? It sure wasn't the case back in my day..

It is divisive.

Why would he do that when all people would say is that he's narrating the narration?

IT's amazing what the first valve on the trumpet can do lol :-) Tekk I miss hearing you give the starting pitch to Holy Name

EAST!!!

Lol...yeah it was amazing lol...I still remember the opening pitch too. :thumbup:

Which tuba are you anyway?