Never had this happen before

I'm sitting up in the press box in San Antonio. Blue Devils just finished performing. I was taking a sip from a bottle of water while the horns were especially searing and I felt something really strange, as if my bottle of water was my cell phone vibrating. I realized the sound from BD's horns was making the water ripple and the bottle vibrate. The bottle was still vibrating when I set it down on the counter top. Now THAT'S power.

BD's invisible Kool Aid. I see they got you drinking it also ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK...aren't you being a little hard on Boo? I would be drinking if a corps was literally blowing the house down.... :music:

ACTUALLY....there are structural designs that take into effect sonic resonance and the potential for it to destroy a structure (i.e., skyscrapers and bridges); and it has been proven that a sound with a certain harmonic resonance can destroy structures. Especially if there is a group with the power of BD that is playing an open chord so well in tune that is creating a mass of sympathetic harmonics...It is very likely that IT DID HAPPEN.

There is legend (and I suspect it may be more than that...) that there was an episode in the 60's where Ohio State played a certain song (Sloopy...of all things!!!) during a game; and the press box started to vibrate. It actually spooked the Athletic Dept. so much that they did tests in the stadium with the band; and actually for a time used the band to check the structural integrity of the Horseshoe before each season.

Michael, you are fine. I wouldn't stop seeing your therapist, though... :thumbup:

(p.s....Wish I could have been there....)

Edited by prodigal bari

I'm sitting up in the press box in San Antonio. Blue Devils just finished performing. I was taking a sip from a bottle of water while the horns were especially searing and I felt something really strange, as if my bottle of water was my cell phone vibrating. I realized the sound from BD's horns was making the water ripple and the bottle vibrate. The bottle was still vibrating when I set it down on the counter top. Now THAT'S power.

That's awesome! BD's brass is really powerful this year.

Michael I too was drinking last night, during Crossmen, Glassmen, Blue Knights, Boston Crusaders.......

I felt the same feeling after Blue Devils.... :thumbup:

In 1986, BD made my ears ring at Whitewater. I was in the 26th row! :thumbup:

that just means your water bottle was tuned to whatever note they were playing.

i remember the first time i found out that "stuff" had a musical frequency. my private instructor was holding his coffee while playing something on the marimba, and he turns to me and says something to the effect of, "... hey, my coffee is tuned to an a!" so then he hands me the cup, and he starts hitting the a, and his coffee starts shaking in my hand like it was a cell phone. that was pretty trippy :thumbup:

This is interesting.

I recall that in 1987, when the contra basses entered at the beginning of the show, they played piano and back field, yet I could feel my chest vibrating. Sadly, that quality was not reproduced on the CD.

I'm sitting up in the press box in San Antonio. Blue Devils just finished performing. ...... I realized the sound from BD's horns was making the water ripple and the bottle vibrate.

Sorry, I find that story hard to believe, too.

They let you sit in the press box??? :thumbup:

Edited by wvu80

Reminds me of a certain pressbox window that was cracked in 1980 by a certain loud corps from down south....

Gawd I loved Spirit Of Atlanta that year! :thumbup:

It really was painful to be sitting in row 15 with Jim Ott's Spirit hornline cranking. I have some permanent hearing damage from those guys. It wasn't just legend. But what a way to go.

Michael Boo's story reminds me of one of my favorite moments from Jurassic Park, when the T-Rex is laying down some heavy steps and the theater/home sound system subwoofer is playing it back, and the coffee in the cup in the film is visibly reacting, building tension in the scene.

It's not inconceivable at all. I just normally don't have a bottle of water in my hands when a corps is performing.

hmmmm...

:thumbup:

So... For those non-believers out there. If this was coming from anyone else I'd call "shenanigans!". Since it's coming from Mike, I don't doubt it one bit.