Battle for 12th Spot

I think Glassmen could still be knocked out of finals. Early in the season, Colts were on top of Glassmen. From what I've heard, the Colts designed a show that was a bit too difficult for them to perform, dated or not. At first it was scoring high because the judges liked the ideas and were giving them as much credit as the other corps because EVERYONE is dirty in June. Unfortunately, other corps began cleaning their shows while the Colts couldn't get theirs clean. The colts have been making serious changes, and the changes aren't done. They're already closing the spread that was created a couple of weeks ago when they dropped from 9th to 14th. Don't count the colts out. Their hornline was incredible last year, and the hornline may have to carry the corps again this year. Lord knows their drumline won't. Another Line that Jeff Queen has taken to the gutter. Anyone remember when Crown's drumline was scoring considerably lower than the corps proper? That was around '05. Queen has been with the Colts for a couple of years now and the same thing has happened... In '05 the colts had a Top 12 drumline and the corps was 13th. Last year the corps was 10th and the drumline was out of the top 12.

Has anyone else noticed or am I alone?

Sometimes players shouldn't be teachers...Can you imagine if Barry Bonds was a skipper??? In all fairness to Jeff, he is an unbelievable player and even has the skills to do it, but there could be several issues; such as how he relates to the kids, his planning and organizing with his staff, or even how his staff teaches the book.

...Could be a multitude of things that may even keep some players away. Guys like Scott Johnson, Jim Campbell, Tom Aungst, Ralph Hardimon, Marty Hurley, and Tom Float from years ago had kids follow them or go to where they taught because of how dynamic they were, and still are.

Now...dudes like Mike McIntosh, Paul Rennick, Shane Gwaltney, and Brian Mason have started to get their own following.

Edited by jsualumnus

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing Madison and the Colts early on this year I'm curious how people would not see that show as 'old school' Madison. Which I find to be an odd (somewhat insulting)statement in itself.

Old School Madison is not in and of itself insulting apart from the fact that nowadays old school may as well mean not making finals. Certain programming regardless of well it is or isnt executed doesnt get credit. Colts are performing their show very well but since their visual program isnt deemed to be challenging enough, they are finding their fortunes sliding.

For what it's worth...

Will the Scouts make finals, YES

Will the Crossmen, MAYBE

In my opinion there are a few shows that do not have the legs to make that final push and sustain through August.

IMHO, I think the Colts and Spirit are done. I also think that the Cadets are done-I am not saying they will fall out of finals, obviously, but I would say 5-6 is their range.

I also believe the Bluecoats have peaked-as they did last year.

As far as the corps in the 9-12 range-after San Antonio-I think the Blue Stars are done-that show can't go any further, Boston is done, although they may be able to sustain.

Glassmen are also done. I think both Glassmen and Blue Stars will actually fall out of finals contention, and that Madison will pick up 11th and Crossmen 12th.

Just my opinion after watching these shows.

Not to say these corps are not great or doing well, I just don't feel that the shows have enough to clean to give them that push. Considering the fact that all the corps I listed are already performing great, corps like Madison and Crossmen who have been making strides, still have more they can do with their program that will give them the push.

Just my thoughts.

Well, I guess you just saved all of those corps some money, since they're done. Thanks.

For what it's worth...

Will the Crossmen, MAYBE

In my opinion there are a few shows that do not have the legs to make that final push and sustain through August.

IMHO, I think the Colts and Spirit are done. I also think that the Cadets are done-I am not saying they will fall out of finals, obviously, but I would say 5-6 is their range.

As far as the corps in the 9-12 range-after San Antonio-I think the Blue Stars are done-that show can't go any further, Boston is done, although they may be able to sustain.

Glassmen are also done. I think both Glassmen and Blue Stars will actually fall out of finals contention, and that Madison will pick up 11th and Crossmen 12th.

Not to say these corps are not great or doing well, I just don't feel that the shows have enough to clean to give them that push. Considering the fact that all the corps I listed are already performing great, corps like Madison and Crossmen who have been making strides, still have more they can do with their program that will give them the push.

Just my thoughts.

If Colts, Blue Stars, Spirit and Glassmen are all 'done' and fall out of Finals contention and Madison and Crossmen make it in, who is the last corps you see making Finals? There is room for one other. Troopers or PC?

...Could be a multitude of things that may even keep some players away. Guys like Scott Johnson, Jim Campbell, Tom Aungst, Ralph Hardimon, Marty Hurley, and Tom Float from years ago had kids follow them or go to where they taught because of how dynamic they were, and still are.

Now...dudes like Mike McIntosh, Paul Rennick, Shane Gwaltney, and Brian Mason have started to get their own following.

Don't forget Lee Beddis for that list

if I was a percussionist, I'd latch on to him wherever he went

For what it's worth...

Will the Crossmen, MAYBE

Just my thoughts.

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN

Sometimes players shouldn't be teachers...Can you imagine if Barry Bonds was a skipper??? In all fairness to Jeff, he is an unbelievable player and even has the skills to do it, but there could be several issues; such as how he relates to the kids, his planning and organizing with his staff, or even how his staff teaches the book.

I certainly wouldn't count Colts out just yet. Different shows, but I believe they jumped ahead of the Scouts in scores tonight and are breathing down the neck of Glassmen.

I certainly wouldn't count Colts out just yet. Different shows, but I believe they jumped ahead of the Scouts in scores tonight and are breathing down the neck of Glassmen.

Agreed. If only the percussion score was higher... I've noticed they've switched drum caption heads every year since Ryan Thomas left after the '05 season. Hard to build a program when you change it up that much.

For what it's worth...

Will the Crossmen, MAYBE

Just my thoughts.

lol