UMass Instructors

I got the honor to play in a concert band that George was conducting last year. It was an honor to work with him, and he will be missed by all...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you everyone for your kind words. As an alumnus of the band, it was/is completely shocking to get the news from current members. Mr. Parks was an amazing man that defined the word passion and was so many things to so many people. I can't even begin to imagine what the current members of the band are going through. Mr. Parks will live on through his students and his teachings and anyone that came into contact with him.

I hear ya. I hope so, too.

I'm a Michigan football fan... but I will be rooting for the UMass band more than anything at that game.

To me, it seemed like there was an invisible force occasionally messing with the football early in the game whenever Michigan had possession. I too had hoped for a half time or post game performance on TV, I believe UMASS and UMICHIGAN Bands played together.

I was fortunate enough to see both home game performances by the UMASS BAND. Pregame, half time, and post game, it does not get any better than that.

Mike Killion

59091_707457537467_20600915_39624531_1684147_n.jpg

My family and I marched in Reading for many yrs. George was an inspirational person, he was a good man. I have many memories of when we marched with George, but the memory I will never forget was when my dad passed away, George called everybody in my family and wept with us. My dad's name was George, he died from a heart attack, He was 57. Today I weep yet again for a man named George R.I.P.

my deepest sympathy to his family. Donna S.

I saw this in the other thread about George in DCA.

Weirdly, there are a lot of coincidence's going on with the number 57. George passed at 57, the Buccaneers were founded in 1957. The corps last win was number 57 in a row at championships and at the Buccaneer gathering today, there were 57 people in attendance singing the corps song for George.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. As an alumnus of the band, it was/is completely shocking to get the news from current members. Mr. Parks was an amazing man that defined the word passion and was so many things to so many people. I can't even begin to imagine what the current members of the band are going through. Mr. Parks will live on through his students and his teachings and anyone that came into contact with him.

What he said. We lost a great man this weekend -- not just here at UMass or even in the whole marching activity, but everyone did. I'm proud to have spent two marching seasons with him (2007-2008) and only wish I had the time to spend more. He left us too soon.