BD Show Concept

I agree with Plan9's comments above. I remember as a kid seeing a guy doing a buffoon version of Olympic style gymnastics -- "missing" the bar and then catching it with his ankles, tumbling "out of control" and ending up in a funny position, etc. -- and I said to my parents something like "funny how he got a job doing something he's so bad at", to which my parents explained that it takes so much more skill sometimes to be the clown at it than to do it normally because you have to know how to do it right first before you can make it seem like you're doing it wrong.

I never forgot that -- and I think it applies terrifically to BD's show this year ....

I think (hope!!) the judges can tell the difference between TRUE absurdity (or in the other example earlier, mediocrity) and carefully planned and executed appearance of same ... :grouphug:

Edited by Liam

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha...neat idea.

Maybe next year a few corps should entitle their show "Excellence in Mediocrity", then when judges comment that they aren't maxing out the performance captions or when there is a question in the quality of the design of the show, the corps can proudly announce that they are selling their show theme very well, in that they have indeed achieved "mediocrity" and thus should be scoring in Box 5.

Oh man....where was THIS when so MANY corps were on the field?

I've always wanted to see a show called simply "Abstraction!"

Then I realized that most corps in the decade have already been doing this one, usually by slightly different names.

How about "Silence & Maximum Entropy?"

I've always wanted to see a show called simply "Abstraction!"

Then I realized that most corps in the decade have already been doing this one, usually by slightly different names.

How about "Silence & Maximum Entropy?"

Musical selection: 4:33 by Cage....

ACtually, I think BD has quite the cohesive show this year. There are definitely some crazy moments but the underlying story and theme are very visible.

If anything, SCV has less of a cohesive show than BD.

Edited by NeutralNovice

You very much misqouted the statement in the OP, which talked about how staffs go into critique with a frown and says they should have gotten higher numbers, whereas the winning team applauds the judges. I haven't seen BD's show, but a judge would know a mistake from something absurd.

You very much misqouted the statement in the OP, which talked about how staffs go into critique with a frown and says they should have gotten higher numbers, whereas the winning team applauds the judges. I haven't seen BD's show, but a judge would know a mistake from something absurd.

Oh.. oops.

People said the same thing in '83 when the Cadets didn't make or hold a form for more than a couple of counts.

Many wondered how the tick system was able to keep up with something that looked very much like it was designed to beat it.

Do you think those drummers want to walk like Charlie Chaplin?

YES, Doug...At least some of them do. They talked to Scott Johnson on the DCI FieldPass a few weeks ago. Scott explained how this came about. Basically, a drummer said "watch this" (famous last words). When asked "Isn't it hard to do that AND play?" he said "Hell yeah".

"Okay, then...It's in."

You see on the field that these guys have totally bought into the concept. It actually LOOKS like they are having fun out there.

Any judge worth their salt will know a true error when they see it, as opposed to being in thematic character. Remember, the show theme is Constantly Risking Absurdity, not Constantly Achieving Absurdity.

Absurdly boring, and silly.