First year out of finals. Blue Stars 1980

Which is why I actually stopped short of saying it in the thread title.

don't let buzzkill dissuade your excitement or enthusiasm... just roll with it!! Blue Stars is one of the great stories of 2007, 2008 (so far) and probably 2009 because I ALREADY have heard a kid say he was going to check out Blue Stars for 2009...

A good portion of the M&M staff was in the stands near me when the score was announced at prelims. If I recall, the Blue Stars were one of the last corps on that afternoon. I'll never forget the shocked look on the faces of those staff members. It was obvious they thought the corps was a lock to get into finals.

Like many others, I can only congratulate those members who kept the faith in the years that followed. The Blue Stars had made such a selling point of being one of two corps to make finals up to that point that I was very concerned the whole organization would fall apart like a house of cards when they finished 13th. Obviously, they were hanging their helmets on more than a number. Whether they make it in this year or not, the entire Blue Star community has a lot to be proud of.

A good portion of the M&M staff was in the stands near me when the score was announced at prelims. If I recall, the Blue Stars were one of the last corps on that afternoon. I'll never forget the shocked look on the faces of those staff members. It was obvious they thought the corps was a lock to get into finals.

Like many others, I can only congratulate those members who kept the faith in the years that followed. The Blue Stars had made such a selling point of being one of two corps to make finals up to that point that I was very concerned the whole organization would fall apart like a house of cards when they finished 13th. Obviously, they were hanging their helmets on more than a number. Whether they make it in this year or not, the entire Blue Star community has a lot to be proud of.

We went on last in prelims in 1980. Right after 27th Lancers. It was HOT that day.

Something only those associated with the corps would know - we gave one last full uniform performance later that night in Talledaga for the staff and anyone else hanging around. The members did not want a somewhat lackluster show being the final performance in 1980. With a thunderstorm rolling in from the west (and the temps much cooler), the 1980 Blue Stars finished the year in a very emotional way. I would love to hear (or see) the show we put on a few hours after placing 13th.

Edited by mcjordansc

don't let buzzkill dissuade your excitement or enthusiasm... just roll with it!! Blue Stars is one of the great stories of 2007, 2008 (so far) and probably 2009 because I ALREADY have heard a kid say he was going to check out Blue Stars for 2009...

Buzz_(150_x_255).jpg

I am proud, not just of these kids, but to all that kept us going. Thank you to all. This corps has more heart than any other.

FCO

I too give much credit to the Blue Stars organization. I have exactly zero ties to said org, and even I got a little misty watching the FN clip of your director and your kids. I know (as much as one can know on a message board) Rachael, who marched there what, 10 years?!?! and aged out last year. If you guys make the show... she is one of the people that I will be thinking of.

Congrats on a great year so far, now BRING IT HOME!

Anyone who has been around corps long enough knows when a corps has it's MOJO going and Blue Stars have it this year. They will be in finals with NO doubt. And it's going to be well deserved and when they come on the field you will hear one of the LOUDEST crowd reactions in DCI history. Nuff said.