Did I hear correctly, no more cancer for Cadets?

Actually, I marched in the 2002 Cadets. I had been in the Marine Corps since March of 2001. In February of 2003 I was sent to Kuwait. On March 21st I invaded Iraq with the 1st Marine Division. I stayed in Iraq (Diwaniyah and Babylon) for 6 months. 2002 was my last memory of drum corps until 2005 when I let myself get back into it again.

Is that relatable enough?

Thank you.

Really, thank you for risking your life for us.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I marched in the 2002 Cadets. I had been in the Marine Corps since March of 2001. In February of 2003 I was sent to Kuwait. On March 21st I invaded Iraq with the 1st Marine Division. I stayed in Iraq (Diwaniyah and Babylon) for 6 months. 2002 was my last memory of drum corps until 2005 when I let myself get back into it again.

Is that relatable enough?

I have every respect for the members of our armed forces and I believe that the way our country treats its veterans is a disgrace. I thank you for your service.

But I stand by my point, which was that the MAJORITY (vast majority, I might add) of marching members today do not and will not serve. Your honorable service puts you in the minority, do you disagree?

Thank you.

Really, thank you for risking your life for us.

I second that emotion.

..........still trying to hold my tongue still trying to hold my tongue still trying to hold my tongue............

I have every respect for the members of our armed forces and I believe that the way our country treats its veterans is a disgrace. I thank you for your service.

But I stand by my point, which was that the MAJORITY (vast majority, I might add) of marching members today do not and will not serve. Your honorable service puts you in the minority, do you disagree?

I am in the minority in that regard, but there are a lot of things that people don't take into account regarding Cadet shows. Hoppy does a lot of open-forum type discussions with the members during the year. During those discussions, he says his stuff about life lessons and personal improvement and how it all ties into drum corps. He also listens to what the members are saying.

I think that is what has really been influencing the shows for the last couple of years. You never know. Sometimes we look at other peoples lives and it inspires us. It is easy for us all to say that Hop is just preaching to the audience, but maybe he is just inspired by the lives of the members? I am sure that many Cadet alumni can attest to the fact that not as many members as you might think are privileged by any means . . .

Yes the narration has been rewritten. Sarah has changed her name to Sara. She spent years of her adult life pursuing American society's version of the American dream. She worked too many hours, spent all her money buying things for herself, trying to make herself happy. She went from one short term relationship to another, with men who were similarly pursuing their own happiness. Finally, burned out and sadder than ever, she chucked it all and move to a smaller city.

There, she took a job paying 1/3 of what she had made in the big city. She could afford fewer things. She got by. She worked fewer hours. She started getting involved in the community. She joined the church choir. There she met a man who's life priorities did not include self-satisfaction at the top of the list. They got married. She delivered meals for new moms and the elderly. She helped at the food bank. She had a few children of her own.... Then she realized ..... she was happy.

Then, the light bulb moment occurred - the big truth:

She didn't become happy trying to make herself happy. In fact, that only made her miserable. No, she became happy by doing things for others, by not putting herself first. She learned that, in service to others, you find happiness. It was right there, all the time.

THE END

maybe your 2nd paragraph on will be The Cadets in 2009 with Sara's "Pursuit of Hoppyness ..Part Deux "

But right now, it's all about HER and HIM..... in the Living Room in the Mansion waxing on about Life's choices while looking for true " Happiness ".

Another DCP exclusive!!!

You heard it here first folks...Sarah Jones is a tramp :unsure:

Well, with the cancer out of the storyline we don't need to feel guilty about throwing beads at her :devil:

Edited by Phillygwm

Well, I am waaaaaaay behind in that department coming from your camp. So you can keep your thumbs down. Is anything I said untrue?

From your point of view? Probably not. Keep on hating TX. It does make things interesting.

From your point of view? Probably not. Keep on hating TX. It does make things interesting.

Dude you're probably the biggest hater on this board.

JUst because your hate is directed towards the Cadets does not make you a better person than TX.

Sarah gets a great job and has kids.

She gets obsessed with overworking??? This is a really common problem for many people . . .

Maybe she regrets losing that time with her kids?

I feel a "Cats in the Cradle" closer coming on!