VK return to World Class?

I understand the OP's point though. Not about the World Class thing, though it would be very cool to see VK back in there someday, but the part about VK and Impulse merging. Don't get me wrong, I don't actually see merging as the ideal decision for two corps that are both doing fine, but ever since VK came back and started making strides I've been scratching my head as to where Impulse stands on this.

Everything I've ever heard or read about the birth of Impulse has always credited VK in some way, be it staff, wacky design, the SoCal vibe, the baseball caps, etc. Yes, they are a separate corps, but I was always under the impression that Impulse was the resurrected VK, and with an actual VK out and about now I'm wondering where Impulse stands on the whole thing.

yeah what he said

:tongue:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the OP's point though. Not about the World Class thing, though it would be very cool to see VK back in there someday, but the part about VK and Impulse merging. Don't get me wrong, I don't actually see merging as the ideal decision for two corps that are both doing fine, but ever since VK came back and started making strides I've been scratching my head as to where Impulse stands on this.

Everything I've ever heard or read about the birth of Impulse has always credited VK in some way, be it staff, wacky design, the SoCal vibe, the baseball caps, etc. Yes, they are a separate corps, but I was always under the impression that Impulse was the resurrected VK, and with an actual VK out and about now I'm wondering where Impulse stands on the whole thing.

Impulse was never to be considered the "resurrected" anything. They are there own corps that have roots with VK because of heavy involvement by alumni. One of the goals of Impulse when it was formed in 1999 was to "aid in the proliferation of drum corps' in the southern California area". They more than lived up to that goal, and on top of that, have had instructors and performers in its history that have gone on to great heights in the pageantry world. Yes--there was the "wacky design", but as of late, Impulse has been charting their OWN course, and while I am not in an official capacity to talk FOR them, only ABOUT them, I applaud their efforts to shed the "wackiness" and look for other ways to design their shows (with all due respect about wackiness to the current VK...no offense intended). Impulse is Impulse--they aim to entertain how they want to, owing their direction to the FORWARD thinking minds on their staff and board.

Impulse was never to be considered the "resurrected" anything. They are there own corps that have roots with VK because of heavy involvement by alumni. One of the goals of Impulse when it was formed in 1999 was to "aid in the proliferation of drum corps' in the southern California area". They more than lived up to that goal, and on top of that, have had instructors and performers in its history that have gone on to great heights in the pageantry world. Yes--there was the "wacky design", but as of late, Impulse has been charting their OWN course, and while I am not in an official capacity to talk FOR them, only ABOUT them, I applaud their efforts to shed the "wackiness" and look for other ways to design their shows (with all due respect about wackiness to the current VK...no offense intended). Impulse is Impulse--they aim to entertain how they want to, owing their direction to the FORWARD thinking minds on their staff and board.

Hmm...interesting perspective of the corps. Either way, I have no desire to see Impulse leave the field. I love their shows and hope to see them only move up. I was just curious I guess on their stance concerning VK (as a whole, not just the recently resurrected VK).

Thanks for the info!

Hmm...interesting perspective of the corps. Either way, I have no desire to see Impulse leave the field. I love their shows and hope to see them only move up. I was just curious I guess on their stance concerning VK (as a whole, not just the recently resurrected VK).

Thanks for the info!

Got ya. I would assume, but not know for sure, that their stance on the recent version of VK is as they have on any other corps--a like-minded group of kids trying to do their best job out there, and knowing (somewhat) the good sports that Impulse kids are, probably are cheering VK on just like anyone else. It IS a competition out there, but there's lots of room for good sportsmanship.

Well said Mayra.

Seconded. You and your staff are doing a great job ON the field and OFF the field! When the time comes, it will grow and that time is going to be very soon I think. :tongue:

Velvet Knights have already had several mergers in their history

Really? Several? I can only think of one, and that was way back in the off-season between the 73 and 74 seasons. The Lynwood Diplomats competed as The Vaqueros for one season, 1973, before merging with VK.

A corps competed as West Coast Express back in 79-80 or so, but they borrowed the name from VK who owned it from the exhibition senior corps they fielded in 1972 and 75. When WCE Jr. disbanded some FMM's joined VK, some Kingsmen, some I'm sure went north to BD, SCV, Freelancers and San Jose Raiders.

Garry in Vegas

VK Alumni Coordinator

VK Tenors 1971-73

West Coast Express Sr. Tenors, 1975

While it would be neat, I think Open Class is the ideal place for VK.

I don't think their programming would work to well in World Class, but it's great for Open Class.

DCI Finalist 1984-90, 92.

You're right, it just wouldn't work.

Garry in Vegas

DCI Finalist 1984-90, 92.

You're right, it just wouldn't work.

Garry in Vegas

I believe rosski47 is referring to now-a-days. And I agree. I really don't think VK's style would go too far in World Class, and that's sad.

I believe rosski47 is referring to now-a-days. And I agree. I really don't think VK's style would go too far in World Class, and that's sad.

Carolina Crown, with the visuals. It would work just fine, but would have to be boring, with sound effects, cookie cutter uniforms and narration that makes no sense, to win! :smile: