Show themes

From a thought posted in the jazz thread...

Is the necessity of a theme getting in the way of designing a show that's fun to play, fun to watch, and still competetive? I'm sick to death of themes, myself. I can see something like Spartacus or a Broadway show like "Fiddler on the Roof", but some of the more "esoteric" themes seem to back designers into a self-made corner. Thoughts?

Follow up question: If a corps decided their theme was agoraphobia, would they lose GE points for showing up at the stadium? :tongue:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I think the designers are getting in the way. The themes and programmatic materials are fine.

Let's not forget, Beethoven wrote an entire symphony on that little four-note motive of his.....

So no, there's nothing wrong with the themes and all that. If a design team backs themselves into a corner, its their fault for lack of creativity/technical prowess, no more no less.

I just keep thinking (for example) "is there anyone that does NOT want to hear Boston play Conquest again?" But if it doesn't fit the theme, they can't, right?

Absolutely! Don't get me wrong, there are many shows with a concept that I like, BUT, I feel like this have been shoved down the throats of the activity as a whole.

I love VK's show this year, and they play "Thriller" and then the next song they play is "Strangers in the Night." heck! That's fits a "Constantly Achieving Absurdity" concept and I am just fine and dandy with it.

Most of the time but I think it's worked quite well for Crown and Phantom this year. You may not like their theme or how it's implemented visually, but I think the blue stars have quite a bit of lyrical melodies and complete musical thoughts this year.

There are plenty of "themes" that are working well this year (from what I hear), such as Spartacus and Finis, so clearly having a theme isn't holding those corps back. If those corps are making it work, why can't everyone else?

A theme isn't something that is assigned, it's something that a design staff decides on ahead of time. If a design staff can't create a show to fit with the theme that they themselves picked out, then I'm guessing that design staff wouldn't create a stand-out show regardless.

Bad design is bad design; it exists totally independent of whether a show has a "theme" or not.

Why don´t we try having less intellectual show designs? In 2005 we did Broadway... that was a fun, easy theme. Why do we always have to preach to the audience or do themes that would rely on very abstract music or visuals? Why not, say, a Japanese warrior theme? ;)