why would Phantom win this year...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it's a great topic--- for those thinking that phantom can win it all- 2006 seems to be about on par with 2008 for them in terms of quality--- I do think they've got a real shot at 2nd place and that they are done scoring behind crown for the rest of the season now...(let it be known that I called the phantom over crown upset before the show even started!)...buuuut I don't think they can win

let it be known that i am calling crown over phantom this evening! :laughing:

we can compare notes later

if that happens tonight. half this message board will go ape #### and claim conspiracy that dci just doesnt want them to win.

thats cuz they are all phantom HONKS! :laughing:

dont take offense im just pushing buttons...everyone gets all excited. im glad they could have there fun for at least one day

Edited by the lone ranger

Mahler is overrated. :laughing:

Go listen to more Schwantner, Glass, and Prokofiev.

Wow, I usually agree with you on most points, but not this one..To be honest he's probably more underrated..Most people talk about Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Mozart, Handel, Bach, Brahms, Debussy, and Strauss (sorry if I misspelled any) much more than Mahler. I'm a HUGE classical fanatic myself and of course all the above mentioned composers are amazing..But Mahler really gets shoved to the back which is unfortunate. His Symphony No. 5 is just a masterpiece..And of course No. 3 is one of my all time favorites. Beautiful yet so evil at times..Also wrote the greatest orchestral trombone solo..EVER. Just my opinion.

Wow, I usually agree with you on most points, but not this one..To be honest he's probably more underrated..Most people talk about Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Mozart, Handel, Bach, Brahms, Debussy, and Strauss (sorry if I misspelled any) much more than Mahler. I'm a HUGE classical fanatic myself and of course all the above mentioned composers are amazing..But Mahler really gets shoved to the back which is unfortunate. His Symphony No. 5 is just a masterpiece..And of course No. 3 is one of my all time favorites. Beautiful yet so evil at times..Also wrote the greatest orchestral trombone solo..EVER. Just my opinion.

Guess I hang around a different crowd. All my friends are always talking Mahler. I guess that's what you get when you hang around a bunch of horn and trumpet players. I hear much less about Handel and Bach and Brahms than I do about Mahler.

Also...I suspect you'd find that Mahler's music is more often played by major symphony orchestras than the music of Debussy. I think I read a Journal of Music Education article that had Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, and Mahler as the top most-frequently performed composers in a 10-year study of major symphony orchestras.

Again. I like Mahler. But I do find his fanboys to be a little excessive in their praise of him.

Kinda like PR fanboys, sometimes... :laughing::worthy:

Even DCI is biased this year. Just look at their homepage.

OMG PHANTOM REGIMENT SURGES!!!!!!1111ONEONEONE

Oh yeah. Um, that blue corps still hasn't lost

thats cuz they are all phantom HONKS! :laughing:

dont take offense im just pushing buttons...everyone gets all excited. im glad they could have there fun for at least one day

Actually, this is quite a showdown. Phantom and Crown have to be the best represented corps on this website, so if these two continue to battle neck and neck, DCP might be rent asunder! It's drum corps apocalypse!! Imagine if SCV were to catch up, as well! :worthy: