Cavaliers 5th in Brass?

Okay, so 5th place in a single caption in one show.

Singular captions can fluctuate many tenths of a point in one night. It's not a perfect science.

I believe Cavaliers had a somewhat off-night, brass-wise for Atlanta. Their score reflects that particular performance.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should be happy with 5th in my opinion. Listen at about the 9 minute mark from the ATL video when they play backfield. Backfield playing lets you really hear the intonation of the group and they were very out of tune. Then listen to the build up the the end. The mellos and lower trumpets are very out of tune and sound like they are struggling. Lastly, listen to the last chord. There is hardly ANY crescendo or build. They sound tired and I wouldn't knock them for that BUT the fact that they hardly play makes that unacceptable in my opinion. They sound weaker, more out of tune, and less powerful than I have heard in awhile. I think BD, Phantom, and Crown are clearly better. And I put Cadets over them too because they might not sound as clean but they are way more powerful and intonation is also better.

Cavies' drums are killer though:-) No more feather tapping! Yay!!!

I think they should be happy with 5th in my opinion. Listen at about the 9 minute mark from the ATL video when they play backfield. Backfield playing lets you really hear the intonation of the group and they were very out of tune. Then listen to the build up the the end. The mellos and lower trumpets are very out of tune and sound like they are struggling. Lastly, listen to the last chord. There is hardly ANY crescendo or build. They sound tired and I wouldn't knock them for that BUT the fact that they hardly play makes that unacceptable in my opinion. They sound weaker, more out of tune, and less powerful than I have heard in awhile. I think BD, Phantom, and Crown are clearly better. And I put Cadets over them too because they might not sound as clean but they are way more powerful and intonation is also better.

I also like the sound Bluecoats are producing better than Cavies right now.

The musical content in Cavaliers book is lacking, especially compared to the other top corps, and it is starting to be recognized by the judges.....the "what" is not as much, and the "how" is inconsistent.......the biggest mystery is many are still awarding them in music effect over corps that are obviously better in that respect...........

GB

the biggest mystery is many are still awarding them in music effect over corps that are obviously better in that respect...........

GB

Very good point. I would think that they would start getting passed up in GE music before brass simply because GE seems to reward content more while execution is not as important as field brass or ensemble music.

Very good point. I would think that they would start getting passed up in GE music before brass simply because GE seems to reward content more while execution is not as important as field brass or ensemble music.

But on the same token, they pride themselves on GE. They're very good at, regardless of what the music is, making it fit into the overall product they have: Certain licks dropping during an impressive drill move, big hits with great guard work, etc. Their content lines up fantastically with the overall product, so I think unless they change the way they play the game, they'll continue to stand near and at the top of the GE pedestal.

The musical content in Cavaliers book is lacking, especially compared to the other top corps, and it is starting to be recognized by the judges.....the "what" is not as much, and the "how" is inconsistent.......the biggest mystery is many are still awarding them in music effect over corps that are obviously better in that respect...........

GB

Probably winning GE music still because the judges are told to ask themselves "do I see what I hear, and do I hear what I see".

Obviously, the Cavaliers are extremely well coordinated music to visual and visual to music. No corps is nearly as consistent about it from year to year.

You might have had some validity to your post until you mentioned the last "chord". It isn't a chord. It is a unison.

The Cavies got 5th place in brass because, hell, they sounded like a 5th place brassline. There is nothing wrong with having a 5th brassline though, as many other corps would love to be in that position. But I must agree that BD, Crown, PR, and the Cadets sounded better. I might even put Bloo in the mix. But again, with how competitive DCI, this is nothing to be ashamed of.

Certain licks dropping during an impressive drill move,

Please help me find a time when they actually moved during one of their difficult licks...I'm not being facetious. I honestly don't remember an instance where they did this.

I guess I should back track from my previous statement. They have the GE GAME down as far as how it's scored on the sheets...but as far as how I and some others see it, they don't measure up as well from a BRASS content perspective with the rest of the top 6. Generally speaking, they execute the hell outta' what they have in front of them though.