Final predictions...

Well guys....it's been fun, but this is my last post on DCP. Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I pack up the truck and head to my new life in Athens, GA, where I will join the faculty there along with some fantastic colleagues that I am going to be very lucky to learn from. I was not surprised during the job search process to have folks on search committees tell me that they had run across some of my posts on DCP via google searches. Luckily, I've never really gone off the deep end here, but it was enough to put me on notice. Truly, everything we do these days is open to the world, and I can't take chances with my college teaching career at its very start.

I'm sure I will still see some of you at DCI events and via the online world. And who knows...perhaps at some point in the future I will return, though not with a recognizable screen name. There are some very good, very knowledgeable, very impartial, and very friendly posters here. Then there are the exceptions, of course, and I won't miss them. But I will miss talking to you. Yes, you. :laughing:

In any case...if anyone ever needs to get a hold of me, you should know how to find me. Don't PM me, as I won't be checking DCP for a good long while, at least not until I am settled and the Fall semester is behind me. It's going to be a busy (but fun) time. Go Dawgs! (Good thing I get to keep hating the Gators).

These are my final DCP predictions. Maybe I'll get lucky and get 40% of them right.

1. Blue Devils. These guys are just too clean right now. The horn line will likely start scoring better, and that guard will continue to kick butt. Either Cavaliers or PR could make a push, but...this is the Blue Devils. I'm not saying they don't have a good show (they do), but let's face it, they'll also get some points for being the winningest corps in DCI history. That should be at least worth 2 tenths...and it may be all they need.

2. Cavaliers. The new ending is quite dirty, but even so they are fairly close to the Devils. Once it's clean, I think they'll be able to hold off Regiment by virtue of superior visual scores. I am somewhat disappointed by the show (musically), but we can't deny that these guys march their tails off, and their guard is pretty darned good too.

3. Phantom Regiment. I love this show. I don't care where this show places, 1st or 8th. It's a great show, and as far as the brass book, well...I think it is some of the toughest stuff they have done in a long time. I find the brass to be a little bright at times, and I wish they had started the season with 4 more contrabasses, but for the most part, they perform the bejesus out of the music. The visual design could be better, and it will get better over the years as the new drill designer continues to improve and become comfortable with the process.

4. Carolina Crown. This is a great show, but upon repeated viewings, it is lacking something, though I'll be darned if I can tell what it is. The brass is great, the guard is great, the visual program is solid...I don't know what it is. But I think I was right when I said earlier in the year that Crown is on its way to a championship in the next few years.

5. The Cadets. I am not going to say much about the narration aspects of the show. The brass and visual programs are quite good (though sloppy at times), and I think that if they had been more focused on that this summer, this corps would be top three.

6. Bluecoats. At the beginning of the year I thought this show was a step backward for them. Boy, was I wrong. There are stronger corps all around this year, so they won't come back into the top five this year, but I really dig this show. The visual never quite got clean, and they have some program issues related to the pacing of the show, but don't let their 6th place finish fool you: This is a great corps.

7. Santa Clara Vanguard. Such a fun show...but so dirty. I've said it before, but...maybe SCV should toss a ton of money at Todd Ryan (or one of his more talented proteges). Feet were a mess last night in Atlanta...the closer is coming along better, but it is still somewhat weak compared to the rest of the show. There's nothing wrong with SCV...they will still be quite strong for next year.

8. Blue Knights. The show is dark and subtle, and it rubs many people the wrong way. Hey, that's the way these guys program. But it won't get them back into the top 6 this year. They need more visual pizazz.

9. Boston Crusaders. To be honest...I am not sure I care for this show. But it is being performed fairly well, and I was surprised to see them down to Blue Stars last night. I don't think it will last.

10. Blue Stars. I have a better feeling about their show than I did when I saw the earlier webcast, it has cleaned up nicely. How cool for them! What a great story to be back in the top twelve after over 20 years. Kudos to their staff and members. It will be interesting to see what happens with them next year as they keep fighting off the Scouts.

11. Glassmen. Fun show, especially considering the types of shows these guys were doing when this decade began. I would love to see these guys become a top 6 contender again.

12. Madison Scouts. I don't know why, but...I'm calling it. They're going to be back in Finals. I have a feeling they will surge past the Crossmen. The show is coming along better than I thought it would. But I would still love to see them do a Buena Vista Social Club show next year.

Farewell,

The Tsar. :thumbup:

Well guys....it's been fun, but this is my last post on DCP.

The Tsar. :worthy:

Again :tongue:

Well, if you really AREN'T posting here again enjoy your new job!

Well guys....it's been fun, but this is my last post on DCP. Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I pack up the truck and head to my new life in Athens, GA, where I will join the faculty there along with some fantastic colleagues that I am going to be very lucky to learn from. I was not surprised during the job search process to have folks on search committees tell me that they had run across some of my posts on DCP via google searches. Luckily, I've never really gone off the deep end here, but it was enough to put me on notice. Truly, everything we do these days is open to the world, and I can't take chances with my college teaching career at its very start.

as you mentioned, you should have gotten an alter-ego....i have 3 myself :tongue:

Good Luck.

If you run into a euphonium grad student from JMU, give him hell

Edited by horndevil

I was not surprised during the job search process to have folks on search committees tell me that they had run across some of my posts on DCP via google searches. Luckily, I've never really gone off the deep end here, but it was enough to put me on notice. Truly, everything we do these days is open to the world, and I can't take chances with my college teaching career at its very start.

First of all, good luck with your new career.

But I have to admit I am perplexed. I doubt your real name is The Tsar. So, how did your prospective employers find your posts via Google searches? Did you put your Internet handle on your resume?

Hey Nikk:

Good luck with the new gig and thanks for continuing to hate the Gators and therefore acknowledge once again our superiority. Perhaps you can run on the field with Mark Richt and the rest of the team if you score against us in Jacksonville! :tongue:

but, in all seriousness...best of luck!

I wonder if they found his RAMD posts.............. Those often had his real name attached.

Good Luck Professor Tsar. As a long time lurker, I'll miss your posts.

Hurry up and get tenure so you can post again.

-Travis

91-95 'Coats