1986 Garfield Cadets

It was indeed 84 horns, it was indeed a sop mouthpiece on the Contra and it was indeed an incredible mellophone solo at the beginning of the show

The sop mouthpiece in the contra goes back further than that. It's how Blue Rock made the 'elephant' sound at the end of "Baby Elephant Walk" pre-DCI.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Backward Company Front in the closer was, as described by many as, Hoppy and Garfield turning their collective backs on DCI and the fan$. Not sure about that one but it makes sense if it was added during the season and not there from day one. I loved everything up until the closer.... I think we all did. Wasn't as clean as 83-85 but just as innovative and crazy as ever (TY Mr. Zingali R.I.P.)

Just want to keep it in the public memory that Zingali was at Star in 1986 and the drill was by Tony Hall. I think that it was Pauly P. and John Sanchez also on staff with him. Please correct me if I am wrong about anything and add any extra names I have missed. I would be curious to hear what the members have to say about working with Zingali in previous years and then the team they had in '86.

If I remember correctly Johnny and Paul were with us in '86 along with Zingali and Sylvester.

If I remember correctly Johnny and Paul were with us in '86 along with Zingali and Sylvester.

Yes they were, as well as Eric Sabach.

Edited by SaraNYC

Johnny Sanchez and Paul Perniciaro were on the cadets staff in '86.

Well that's funny...some "other" guys named Johnny and Paul must have given me the keys to the Star visual staff house in 1986. I think you are confusing 1986 with 1987.

Sara,

Johnny, Paul, and Eric were with us in 85', but Johnny and Paul were at Cadets full time in 86'. I remember talking to them on the road that year. Your brain must be fried from the T.R.E.E.

As per the Star 86' Yearbook:

VISUAL

George Zingali (caption head, designer)

Eric Sabach

Steve Suslik

Marc Sylvester

Mark Schleihs

Steve Meikle

I remember John Sanchez being there.....even though my memory is fading.

Sara,

Johnny, Paul, and Eric were with us in 85', but Johnny and Paul were at Cadets full time in 86'. I remember talking to them on the road that year. Your brain must be fried from the T.R.E.E.

As per the Star 86' Yearbook:

VISUAL

George Zingali (caption head, designer)

Eric Sabach

Steve Suslik

Marc Sylvester

Mark Schleihs

Steve Meikle

Hmmm. I will not argue about the condition of my brain cells, but I swear I got the keys to the staff house one weekend from J/P in the Spring of 1986. One the other hand, maybe that's why they weren't there that summer. LOL! I'm friends with Paul on facebook, so I'll just ask him when I get a chance.

Actually, now that I think about it, Ron Perez WAS around in 1986 and I remember having the birthday party for him at my house after move in. Johnny and Paul were not in attendence, so you guys are probably right.

Sara,

You are partially right. Johnny and Paul stayed until sometime in the late winter. They were a little bummed out because Star was supposed to be the place that the three of us did together and then Marc was to stay at Garfield (according to JS and PP back then). I stayed in Bloomington because I loved it there and Johnny and Paul went back to Garfield seeing the opportunity to help Tony Hall (Regiment 93,94 and current drill guru to whoever is writing) with the drill with Cadets.

Hope this helps.... = )