Great Read on G vs Bb

Mello Dude

NOT TRUE!

Ive done the math on this a couple of times.It works out about the same unless you start buying POS student horns.Then the price of Bb goes dramatically down.But it appears that what many of the corps are doing now days.

You have to compare apples to apples to get the math correct.

If a corps buys POS horns to begin with, they won't have much resale value after a couple of years and lots of miles.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I am torn - we are planning to buy new horns in 2010, and I am not sure whether to get a new set of Gs or make the switch. Any input?

I'd rather you stay G. The Renegades have been known for volume IMO. Changing to Bb might alter that perception. Might...

Pros and Cons either way. I've sold off most of my G horns. My current corps is Bb. And I'm not seeing much of a resale market for G's in years to come. Although I'm hanging on to some of the P/R classics for now. Current demand does seem high with the number of new alumni corps forming from older junior corps. And I hate having good horns just sitting around collecting dust. But with so few corps buying new sets of G's, supply of good used G horns will decline. What's the last junior corps to buy new G's? Troopers 2002 (now on Bb's)? The last all age corps to buy new G's? Kilties 2007? (who/when before them?)

I'd like to see a corps make the switch and not say a word about it publicly (although it would be hard to keep everyone in the corps quiet about it). I'd put good money that most people wouldn't notice or care--until someone told them.

I'd like to see a corps make the switch and not say a word about it publicly (although it would be hard to keep everyone in the corps quiet about it). I'd put good money that most people wouldn't notice or care--until someone told them.

I would say you are correct...some not having very good hearing or poor hearing when it comes to identifying the different sound a G vs C vs F etc. I am surprised at many of the self proclaimed experts that I see in some other threads that it doesn't make a big difference when science and good hearing know better. It's been quite a while since we have had a 50+ man hornline on 2 valve horn rumble through. Kinda like explaining what a REAL root beer float used to taste like when you don't have any idea or reference to what you were missing at all.

You have to compare apples to apples to get the math correct.

That is difficult at best. You really want to compare the relative value of a $880 soprano to a brand new Yamaha Xeno? Or compare the build quality of a King K-50 mello to a Yama 204M? You will have to demonstrate the cost advantage of the G bugle to the drum corps community since their math is somewhat different.

The G horns may indeed be the best from a field point of view, and I dearly loved hearing a playing them, but from a business standpoint they leave a bit to be desired. More power to you if you can get it done.

BTW which corps are buying POS student horns? Though in general all marching brass is just a step up from student horns save for the Xenos.

Edited by mchromik

To be honest, I am torn - we are planning to buy new horns in 2010, and I am not sure whether to get a new set of Gs or make the switch. Any input?

I think that only the hardcorps zealot types would really be concerned with the difference. The vast majority of your audience enjoys what you do with the horns and how you do it, they could care less what type of horns they are. G or Bb, it will be loud and Evil.

I think that only the hardcorps types would really be concerned with the difference.

You are correct.The HARD CORPS people will be. :worthy:

Well, if one buys horns NEW (at retail) and runs them into the ground. Dollar for Dollar, it's still cheaper to buy G's. They just don't have as much resale value. Which isn't a problem if you never resale them. But for many corps that rotate used horns out in favor of new horns, better deals can be had with Bb instruments. And the resale of relatively new and expensive horns doesn't take two plus years with Bb horns.

If a Corps gets new Gs and does not let the palyers abuse them, they should last 30 years or so.

I understand corps like to play the contract with the horn company game and rely on reselling the horns to High School bands and stuff, but with the Junior Corps doing the same thing, how long before the market is saturated?

Might be interesting either way. Have a top corps that is currently on Bb show up one year with Gs and see if anyone notices.

I do know that Austin Stars played in Band Horns with 9 players and they sounded pretty good.

I also know Gulf Coast played Gs with I think 20 plus Brass and practically moved the stadium back a few feet.