Great Read on G vs Bb

Mello Dude

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm I think you missed both points on that one. Both points are based the premise that G Bugles have a different harmonic register due to the horn being LONGER than a Bb. It IS a different sound regardless of the fact that you can PLAY in ANY key. That wasn't the authors point at all. The horns have very different characteristics in sound and projection due to their design and lengths.

The top 7 corps in Atlanta all sounded superb on their Bb/F horns ....... but CorpsVets packed more punch and sizzle with a smaller hornline on their G bugles. Last I checked, most Alumni corps are still on G bugles .. so that kinda proves the authors point when taking your response into consideration.

I just heard the Cavaliers 60th Anniversary Corps last night (Monday), who are playing on B-flat instruments. While they were warming up between the Stadium seating (concrete structure) and the Field House at North-Central College in Naperville, IL., the sound from the almost 70 horns present was "deafening". When they hit the field and played, the full sound of this horn line IMHO never reached the stands, except maybe when they lined up along the front sidelines to play "Sing, Sing, Sing". There IS a difference.

I just heard the Cavaliers 60th Anniversary Corps last night (Monday), who are playing on B-flat instruments. While they were warming up between the Stadium seating (concrete structure) and the Field House at North-Central College in Naperville, IL., the sound from the almost 70 horns present was "deafening". When they hit the field and played, the full sound of this horn line IMHO never reached the stands, except maybe when they lined up along the front sidelines to play "Sing, Sing, Sing". There IS a difference.

I have No Doubt that 70 horns is "defening". Put the same 70 on "G" bugles and you have.......

SEISMIC ACTIVITY". just sayin......

IMO you need 60+ Bb to get the same impact as 40 G horns. Again....my opinion. Maybe it's just my ears.

I have No Doubt that 70 horns is "defening". Put the same 70 on "G" bugles and you have.......

SEISMIC ACTIVITY". just sayin......

IMO you need 60+ Bb to get the same impact as 40 G horns. Again....my opinion. Maybe it's just my ears.

"SEISMIC ACTIVITY" - That would be the Caballeros Alumni Corps.

"Maybe it's just my ears" - Mine as well, and others who were in Naperville last night.

The Renegades all play on Kanstul G Bugles. We purchased the horns from the Blue Knights when they went to Bb. There are members that own their own horns, but they own Kanstuls. Sops are on Powerbores.

When we use Frenchies, we use a set of Kings that were donated by the Blue Devils. These horns were used from 1979 - the mid 80s, then put in storage. We have five of them.

We have had soloists on trumpet. Larrie Dastrup played a Wild Thing and a Miraphone Flugel, Roland Garceau played a Yamaha Xeno, and I am not sure what type of trumpet our current soloist (Greg Potter) is playing on.

To be honest, I am torn - we are planning to buy new horns in 2010, and I am not sure whether to get a new set of Gs or make the switch. Any input?

Yeah. Be like Bill Cook and get the Kanstuls reconditioned. It would probably be a lot cheaper than buying a new set of horns - regardless of key.

Yeah. Be like Bill Cook and get the Kanstuls reconditioned. It would probably be a lot cheaper than buying a new set of horns - regardless of key.

I guess it depends on the level of 'reconditioned', but if they are done to the level of Star's Kings were, you will need Bill's budget as well.

If a group decides to play on G for whatever reason, they are probably going to lay out more $. Which indeed some might find worth the expense. From a dollars, cents, and condition point of view, you just cannot beat buying Bb and turning over ever other season or so. Its all good as long as the used market doesn't become flooded with ex-drum corps horns which with today's corps numbers doesn't sound likely.

I'm not sure we are still beating this old horse anymore. The carcass passed unrecognizable years ago.

Mine still looks brand new. What did you use.........Kevlar...? Some space age material? :worthy:

That funny,I don't care who you are.

No,,I don't buy cheap promo shirts.They are all first runs,heavy thread count and only of the best quality.Then we do a multi screen process.That makes the lettering look better and last longer.

In 8 years of doing t-shirts I have never had one single complaint or return.Some of the shirts I made 8 years ago still look like brand new and have been worn to death.

Ok,,I take that back.They complain when I am out of stock or don't have the right size.. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Edited by camel lips

If a group decides to play on G for whatever reason, they are probably going to lay out more $.

NOT TRUE!

Ive done the math on this a couple of times.It works out about the same unless you start buying POS student horns.Then the price of Bb goes dramatically down.But it appears that what many of the corps are doing now days.

You have to compare apples to apples to get the math correct.

NOT TRUE!

Ive done the math on this a couple of times.It works out about the same unless you start buying POS student horns.

Which kinda invalidates the cost argument for the switch....the major remaining reason woujld appear to be the resale value of a Bb line to a school....THAT would kick Gs tush.