Great Read on G vs Bb

Mello Dude

Well if a corps can afford new Gs, it ain't a problem. For the rest of us still playing Gs, it's be extra careful with the metal and maintain them like you do with a car. Oops, note to self to get another valve casing re-aligned this winter. I don't pay dues so it's another way to support the corps financially.

Any idea if the 'gades use Kanstul since Ziggys' in the area and the company still makes Gs? More power to 'em if true since we have used Kanstul Gs.

The only "for sure" I know of is the King K-60 frenchies they used, and I think they may still use K-90 contras. My guess is that there is probably a mixed bag in all sections - not all horns are owned by the corps. Nalls, help me out here!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Commandant's Own":

The Marines and "Two Valves" (Which I personally thing is a GREAT idea) MAY be a way to survive in an era of Military Drawdowns & Budget Cuts. A "Third Valve" MIGHT (To the 'Brass') make them a "Band'. The "8th & I" already HAS a great "Band": The "President's Own". I doubt the Headquarters USMC bean counters would find the need for a second "Band" in DC and convert the Marine Drum Corps into a rifle company.

The USAF and USMC had several "Full Time" drum & bugle corps "Way Back" in the 1960's & 70's. All of them, save one, thanks to budget cuts and manning cutbacks are long gone. They are very much missed.

Elphaba

Doesn't "The Commandant's Own" play on the only set of 2V Kanstuls ever produced?

The only "for sure" I know of is the King K-60 frenchies they used, and I think they may still use K-90 contras. My guess is that there is probably a mixed bag in all sections - not all horns are owned by the corps. Nalls, help me out here!

Zig's not really "in the area"....there are a few hundred miles between Anaheim and San Francisco :tongue:

Nalls would give a better answer, but I believe the sop line is all on Kanstul Powerbores...I don;t think they have a single Bb in the line.

Kilties will have an almost completely new set of Kanstul G's after this season. Sopranos and Mellos are already in use with Baritones slated for purchase after this season. Actually 90% of the Baritones are already Kanstuls but they will be new as of next year.

??? I thought Kilts got a whole set a couple of years back.....must've misread it.

It's funny how these things come around full circle. The 2003 - 2005 Royal Airs' Music Director John Zimny was in the USAF D & B Corps. The horns used by the RA belonged to the Air Force, which the Corps used & purchased, and still owns today, with John's assistance. They are all 3-valve silver "G" DEG's; Sopranos, Mellos Baris & Contras of which I played one of 'em while with the Corps.

Which Air Force corps did Zimmy belong to Rich? Know some alumni of the Bolling Field (Washington, DC) corps and they have a reunion in the area about every other year.

Also have heard early 60s recordings of that corps and just amazing with the "technology" of the day.

Which Air Force corps did Zimmy belong to Rich? Know some alumni of the Bolling Field (Washington, DC) corps and they have a reunion in the area about every other year.

Also have heard early 60s recordings of that corps and just amazing with the "technology" of the day.

John was out in Colorado.

Doesn't "The Commandant's Own" play on the only set of 2V Kanstuls ever produced?

They bought a new set of identical 2V Kanstuls a couple of years ago. I know where most of the old ones are. Especially the 4 that are in my basement.

I thought so. RA were using the USAF Academy corps' horns.

And now the RA owns them. Whilst my 4-valve "G" DEG "Monster", which used to belong to Madison before they went to B-flats, sits in the Cabs Alumni Corps trailer awaiting my return next week in Kingston, I was allowed to borrow one of these USAF contras to use at home to practice on.

John was out in Colorado.

Ok THAT Air Force corps.. :thumbup: thanks.

Late 70s/early 80s the AF Academy corps would appear at our Serenade In Brass indoor show at Harrisburg. With the exception of playing "American In Paris" (which I don't like for unknown reasons) they always put on a great show. Few years got to have some long talks with some of the members and was very impressed with them on a personal level.

Back OT: Westshoremen Alumni uses a mix of Bb and G for their "World Tour" of one show only. :thumbup: IOW - the members bring in what they own. Hard to tell the effect of mixing keys and manufacturers while you're indoors with 60 or 70+ horns. :thumbup: Lat's just say volume ain't a concern....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari