It's Been A While....

Oh Marwan. Dat was bad! And shouldn't it be "brutha"? :tongue:

Yes, but not any more than the rest of the thread!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yes... it shuld.

:tongue:

See Marwan? Everyone is going to get headaches from slapping their foreheads now!

See Marwan? Everyone is going to get headaches from slapping their foreheads now!

And I care... why?

:tongue:

4. Flams and single stroke rolls (unless your BD or Phantom) have been replaced by flash and awe......

Dude what are you talking about. Have you seen Crown or Blue Coats? Cavaliers might not have the hardest chop fest but they are an amazing musical ensemble. :tongue: >> Cavies Pit.

Cadets and Vanguard are amazing also.

I am anxious to get to destroying this post, so here I go. My retorts are in bold type

Where is our activity going from a "creative" standpoint? What will "DCI" look like in 2022 when my 16 month old son may choose to march his first year in a World Class corps? On one hand, and sadly, I am of the opinion that DCI will no longer exist unless some serious changes take place. Changes in the area of judging, the creative direction (if you want to call it that) of the activity, the business practices of DCI as an organization, and the ridiculous rule changes that the board of directors have been "brain-washed" into approving!!

In my many years around the activity, I haven't seen more creativity than there is now. Many corps are taking creative risks and that is awesome. Never have I been so entertained. To note I have been a part of, and enjoyed the activity for 25 years now. Brainwashing you say? One could say the same about you trying to get everyone to believe

I mentioned my 16 month old son. Guess what his favorite thing (video/DVD) is to watch? Give up?....... The 1980 27th Lancers!! Guess what his next favorite thing is to watch? Give up again?.... The 1993 Star of Indiana!!!! Goes to show you that "old school," and a show with some DEMAND in it are and SHOULD still be the norm in DCI rather than the exception!! Yes -- I'll say it again... Goes to show you that "old school," and a show with some DEMAND in it are and SHOULD still be the norm in DCI rather than the exception!!

Now before I go any further, many of you may remember that I am an avid advocate of bringing back a demand sub caption for at least the music captions.

I am at a loss as to why corps who play quarter notes and half notes for 75% of their show (brass books) are being rewarded with 18 plus points in the GE Music and performance captions. It's easy to clean easy brass (and drum) books, so what's the point? Why aren't some of these corps challenging the "students" as Jim Prime did with Star's 1993 (and 1991!) brass book, or Wayne Downey did with BD's 1994 and 1995 brass books??

Are the kids marching today any less talented than they were 15 to 20 plus years ago??

Now before the "hammerers" come after me in this forum, I am still a supporter of the activity. However if some of the current direction of the activity continues to go where I think it's going, then my money will be spent elsewhere, and my son will never set foot on a football field as a member of any corps!!

Now some questions and comments:

1). DCI -- why are you financially in dire straights?? (Rumor has it after this year you'll be $500,000 in the hole!) You were in a similar position before moving to Indianapolis, and are still paying rent for offices in Illinois where you moved from!! Might I suggest mandatory attendance at a Financial Peace University for all DCI staffers and the entire DCI Board of Directors!!

2). Fan attendance is down due to rising gas costs, but more importantly due to ticket prices that are unrealistic!! Again, someone needs to come up with a solution (I've suggested many over the years, so I will not belabor the point here).

3). Your current roster of judges includes many band directors, and they are the ones "nudging" the activity in the direction it has gone from a design standpoint the past 6 years. Although on the surface it may not appear that way, but take any novice fan and drop them in as an audience member at a BOA Superregional, and then at a DCI show and I got $1,000 bucks that says they will be hard-pressed to tell the difference!! The activity used to have a clear distinction between marching band and drum & bugle corps, but that isn;t the case any more! No -- I am not slamming the marching band activity, but the distinction I speak of used to be true!!

4). Why not be bold, and "nudge" the activity back into it's uniqueness? Pass a rule banning narration and props for a year ot two! Pass a rule stating that color guards have to actually do equipment work for at least 70% of the show time limit that a corps is on the field!!

5). BAN ELECTRONICS!! :thumbup:

6). Why aren't their "incentives" for marching members who say with a corps for 3 plus consecutive years?? The average length of time a young person marches with a corps has gone from 5.2 years in 1992 to 2.2 years in 2006. yes -- the cost of marching may have something to do with it, thus the suggestion on incentives!

In closing let me say that my intention to open up a preverbial "can of worms" by posting is on purpose and fully intentional!! Those of us who have loved, lived, and supported this activity for decades are witnessing the slow death of the activity whether we want to see it or not! It's high time that we make our voices heard so the "powers that be" quit acting like the U.S. Congress (doing very little or nothing) and start taking action!

Ok -- I am stepping off of my soapbox now. Thanks for listening (reading).

I am anxious to get to destroying this post, so here I go. I will try to minimize the pithy comments. My retorts are in bold type

Where is our activity going from a "creative" standpoint? What will "DCI" look like in 2022 when my 16 month old son may choose to march his first year in a World Class corps? On one hand, and sadly, I am of the opinion that DCI will no longer exist unless some serious changes take place. Changes in the area of judging, the creative direction (if you want to call it that) of the activity, the business practices of DCI as an organization, and the ridiculous rule changes that the board of directors have been "brain-washed" into approving!!

In my many years around the activity, I haven't seen more creativity than there is now. Many corps are taking creative risks and that is awesome. Never have I been so entertained. That is what this activity is about. Right? Entertainiment. Brainwashing you say? One could say the same about you trying to get everyone to drink the "todays drum corps sucks" cool aid

I am at a loss as to why corps who play quarter notes and half notes for 75% of their show (brass books) are being rewarded with 18 plus points in the GE Music and performance captions. It's easy to clean easy brass (and drum) books, so what's the point? Why aren't some of these corps challenging the "students" as Jim Prime did with Star's 1993 (and 1991!) brass book, or Wayne Downey did with BD's 1994 and 1995 brass books??

When was the last time you were at a show man? Give me a break. There is more running and playing going on now than ever before. One only needs look at Crown, Phantom, Cavies, Glassmen, Blue Stars, BK and the list goes on. Kids face plenty of challenges as they march today. I don't know of any show I have seen this year and I have seen every corps this summer, that plays quarters and halfs 75% of their show.

Are the kids marching today any less talented than they were 15 to 20 plus years ago??

No, they aren't, and in many areas they are even more talented.

Now before the "hammerers" come after me in this forum, I am still a supporter of the activity. However if some of the current direction of the activity continues to go where I think it's going, then my money will be spent elsewhere, and my son will never set foot on a football field as a member of any corps!!

Getting a little premature on us aren't you? According to my math your son has 12 years and 8 months before he will be marching

Now some questions and comments:

2). Fan attendance is down due to rising gas costs, but more importantly due to ticket prices that are unrealistic!! Again, someone needs to come up with a solution (I've suggested many over the years, so I will not belabor the point here).

This is ridiculous!! I saw the biggest crowd in Nightbeat history this past Sunday. Sorry to dissappoint you, but there wasn't one $50.00 or $75.00 seat that didn't have a butt in it.

3). Your current roster of judges includes many band directors, and they are the ones "nudging" the activity in the direction it has gone from a design standpoint the past 6 years. Although on the surface it may not appear that way, but take any novice fan and drop them in as an audience member at a BOA Superregional, and then at a DCI show and I got $1,000 bucks that says they will be hard-pressed to tell the difference!! The activity used to have a clear distinction between marching band and drum & bugle corps, but that isn;t the case any more! No -- I am not slamming the marching band activity, but the distinction I speak of used to be true!!

Since you are the better judge, you should attend DCI's adjudicators school and start judging shows.

4). Why not be bold, and "nudge" the activity back into it's uniqueness? Pass a rule banning narration and props for a year ot two! Pass a rule stating that color guards have to actually do equipment work for at least 70% of the show time limit that a corps is on the field!!

The very fact that you spew your angst towards the activity is indicative that the activity is unique. Change is a part of life. Some deal better with it than others. :tongue:

6). Why aren't their "incentives" for marching members who say with a corps for 3 plus consecutive years?? The average length of time a young person marches with a corps has gone from 5.2 years in 1992 to 2.2 years in 2006. yes -- the cost of marching may have something to do with it, thus the suggestion on incentives!

I think each member should receive a margarita blender for three or more years of active membership. Let's also be pro-active and eliminate their college educations. Summer school and graduation are over-rated anyway. Those silly kids that want to fine tune their skills in high school before marching on the drum corps level. Shame on them.

In closing let me say that my intention to open up a preverbial "can of worms" by posting is on purpose and fully intentional!! Those of us who have loved, lived, and supported this activity for decades are witnessing the slow death of the activity whether we want to see it or not! It's high time that we make our voices heard so the "powers that be" quit acting like the U.S. Congress (doing very little or nothing) and start taking action!

Let's wish for a quick death to this thread. What action do you suggest? Do we begin daily beatings, waterboards, the rack?

Dude what are you talking about. Have you seen Crown or Blue Coats? Cavaliers might not have the hardest chop fest but they are an amazing musical ensemble. :tongue: >> Cavies Pit.

Cadets and Vanguard are amazing also.

seen 'em....notes aren't the same as they used to be....BTW, used to teach Crown. What years did you march?

Edited by jsualumnus

seen 'em....notes aren't the same as they used to be....BTW, used to teach Crown. What years did you march?

Used to teach crown before they fired you guys and got a good drum staff? :tongue:

I mean really, Look at crown pre 07, bleh drum line.

I marched, I taught, and I don't flaunt it around on the internet.

Used to teach crown before they fired you guys and got a good drum staff? :tongue:

I mean really, Look at crown pre 07, bleh drum line.

I marched, I taught, and I don't flaunt it around on the internet.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Before 07 blah....nice try, I was part of a staff that got Crown into the top 12 back in the 90's, so before you go talking #### about anyone getting fired, know your facts, punk. You still can't name the corps or the years you marched?

DCP rookie ...le' me guess, high school drummer?

Edited by jsualumnus