Boston Crusaders score drop

Yes, Kevin. These Corps addresses they have on the side of the busses is where their primary fund raising dollars come from, more than from where they recruit, practice or draw the majority of their marching members from, with many DCI Corps these days.

Not all. The Colts still cling to having a majority from Iowa, and they do not have remote auditions or camps in distant cities. If a kid wants to be a Colt, he/she must go to Dubuque.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the scores

* Rome NY 1.5 point drop in Percussion from the prior three shows, don't know the judge, can't comment. Look at the recap. 84.950 + 1.5 = 86.45

* Lawrence MA, well only DCI show with no recap posted so no analysis yet.

Update:

Recap is in for Lawrence, same percussion judge as Rome NY less wacked on score.

As for Guard judge, see Atlanta PM recap for a good overall representation of her work.

Best of luck to all tonight!

I saw their Pittsburg show. It incorporated changes made after San Antonio & Denton to address judging critiques. It was their best show to date - the score was deserved. They also had a huge crowd boost, most of them being HS band campers who participated in an afternoon clinic with BAC. The corps was flying high when they came off the field.

One thing I noticed is how fast their drill moves from one form to the next. Just look at the Atlanta Cam video. You don't see BAC's forms held as long as most of the other corps. It seems to me that they're always on the hairy edge of getting into their forms on time. I think the rookies, as talented as they are, might be having a tough time with simultaneous responsibilities, letting one responsibility go while concentrating on the other. Maybe they feel they're late getting to their next spot so their musical performance suffers while they try to make up the distance. Maybe they're concentrating on a release that they've had trouble hitting, and are late on their next move. There's a lot of demand in this show, and maybe they're not experienced enough to know how to personally clean up their part of it. To exacerbate the problem, they may clean up one part, but then have problems with another part.

The thing that I'm having a hard time understanding, something that I've seen and also heard from other reviewers, is how their show has been starting out flat and then picks up about halfway into Kingfishers Catch Fire. They've had the Also Sprach music and drill on the field since January, and the first half of Kingfishers since February. Neither of these have had significant changes made since the season started. It would seem that these parts should be automatic to them, yet they still have problems getting these rolling and keeping them clean. Maybe someone could explain what could be affecting them, from a performers point of view. Is it complacency? Or boredom?

Hopefully, they get a good score in Allentown tonite. It'll pick up their spirits and carry them into finals next week.

Not all. The Colts still cling to having a majority from Iowa, and they do not have remote auditions or camps in distant cities. If a kid wants to be a Colt, he/she must go to Dubuque.

My remarks above clearly said " MANY " corps...... not " ALL" Corps.

My guess, you simply missed that, which resulted in your misunderstanding my remark. No big deal though. I DO realize that a few Corps do have more ties to a local area than others that tend to have a more broader national appeal in their recruitment.

Edited by BRASSO

( seems the Univ. of Mass. has sent the Carolina Crown quite a few members this year to them if my source is accurate)

This is because their arranger teaches at UMass. Probably the same reason why a bunch of Cavaliers are from University of Houston.

This is because their arranger teaches at UMass. Probably the same reason why a bunch of Cavaliers are from University of Houston.

yes....... this makes sense and would account for these various member pipelines to Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

I saw their Pittsburg show. It incorporated changes made after San Antonio & Denton to address judging critiques. It was their best show to date - the score was deserved. They also had a huge crowd boost, most of them being HS band campers who participated in an afternoon clinic with BAC. The corps was flying high when they came off the field.

One thing I noticed is how fast their drill moves from one form to the next. Just look at the Atlanta Cam video. You don't see BAC's forms held as long as most of the other corps. It seems to me that they're always on the hairy edge of getting into their forms on time. I think the rookies, as talented as they are, might be having a tough time with simultaneous responsibilities, letting one responsibility go while concentrating on the other. Maybe they feel they're late getting to their next spot so their musical performance suffers while they try to make up the distance. Maybe they're concentrating on a release that they've had trouble hitting, and are late on their next move. There's a lot of demand in this show, and maybe they're not experienced enough to know how to personally clean up their part of it. To exacerbate the problem, they may clean up one part, but then have problems with another part.

The thing that I'm having a hard time understanding, something that I've seen and also heard from other reviewers, is how their show has been starting out flat and then picks up about halfway into Kingfishers Catch Fire. They've had the Also Sprach music and drill on the field since January, and the first half of Kingfishers since February. Neither of these have had significant changes made since the season started. It would seem that these parts should be automatic to them, yet they still have problems getting these rolling and keeping them clean. Maybe someone could explain what could be affecting them, from a performers point of view. Is it complacency? Or boredom?

Hopefully, they get a good score in Allentown tonite. It'll pick up their spirits and carry them into finals next week.

Yes I have seen the same posts (come out flat). There are people that post comment with no id. the beginning last night was outstanding.

* Rome NY 1.5 point drop in Percussion from the prior three shows, don't know the judge, can't comment. Look at the recap. 84.950 + 1.5 = 86.45

* Lawrence MA, well only DCI show with no recap posted so no analysis yet.

:shutup:

Doesn't quite add up that way on the score sheet. Since Perc. score is part of the total music caption, the 1.5 in percussion would only make a 0.75 difference on the overall music score and the total score. = 85.7

yes....... this makes sense and would account for these various member pipelines to Corps.

UMass has one of the best college drum lines around led by Thom Hannum. It also says two of their staff are Colin McNutt (Cadets caption supervisor) and Ian Hale (Crown staff). On their percussion page, it says that 5 people are marching Crown and 3 marching Cadets this summer. Based on that, it doesn't suprise me that they went to those 2 corps.

Well, I only have experience in marching band but we often got bored with our show. Performance suffers if you play the same show over and over and get bored. If you peak, it can also make it look like you were only going to get better, but in reality you have just had your best performance of the season. Who knows, all though I did see that they had a better show last night. :thumbup: Hope is not lost! I'm hoping BK gets it toghether also. :smile: