We need more CA Corps

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Renegades, but as a full time mom of toddlers and being employed full-time, it's impossible for me to be able to travel for not only Renegades rehearsals, but for shows that are all out of state.

We need more Corps in the Northern and Central CA areas to encourage more of a West Coast presence. Is there something DCA does to promote new corps?

I was a River City Regiment member and I'm still waiting for something to come back. Anyone know any news on that front. I MISS MARCHING.

I know the Freelancers are getting some stuff up and running, but I'm a colorguard performer, so sit down rehearsals don't do much for me.

Ok, vent over. Thanks!

Kim

Wasn't there a new group forming to take RCR's place??

I'm trying to do my part down south.....but that doesn;t help you, unfortunately.

Might I suggest talking to Ray Mar at Mandarins after they return from DCI?? He COULD be open to the idea of a place for Mandarin aluns to go.

Yes there was something up and coming in the wake of RCR's demise, but from my perspective, the focus turned from starting a new corps to ... well ... something else.

The good news in all of this is that the Freelancers Alumni corps has an awesome hornline. We're having a great time playing great tunes. The best part? NO DRAMA. None. Nadda. Ziltch. We show up, we play, we leave. I couldn't ask for much more.

More good news? You betcha (and perhaps Kelli or someone from the organization can verify this), the drumline (...and colorguard?) is getting going as well, sometime in the fall. I don't know many of the specifics. Sorry.

So keep your eyes and ears peeled. Good things are happening.

Edited by bigmyq

The only show we have out of state is finals.

We also have a very decent group that comes from Sac every weekend... what about carpooling with them?

just a thought.

start one!!

Easier said than done. There's no long tradition of All-Age out here like there is in teh Northeast.

After all these years, you'd think VK alums would come out of the woodwork for Dream like the BD/SCV/and some Freelancer ones did for Renegades....but no....it's like pulling teeth.

Sam - I hear you...

but some times good things are worth trying a bit harder... and there really are plenty of people like myself who have "been there, done that" who would be willing to advise in any way possible... like most others, I have free long distance and never refuse a call... and publish my address and phone numbers with every post. Not that I'm someone's gift to drum corps, but with over 50 years constant involvement in every aspect of the activity - well let's just say there isn't a mistake you might make that I haven't already made. and isn't success really measured by who makes the fewest mistakes along the path to greatness?

Renegades took the bull by the horns. They knew they couldn't rely on the northeastern corps to help... CA drum corps must grow and develop on its own... it's off to a great start, but it is time for others to join in. and as I said, just read the roster of the WDC Hall of Fame and you'll find a couple hundred ready to advise from afar - but you must execute from within.

Easier said than done. There's no long tradition of All-Age out here like there is in teh Northeast.

After all these years, you'd think VK alums would come out of the woodwork for Dream like the BD/SCV/and some Freelancer ones did for Renegades....but no....it's like pulling teeth.

I think that I can (distantly) relate to that. Having grown up in the Northeast, DCA corps were (and still are) considered a given commodity. We just took/take them for granted. It always surprises me when I hear that some people on the west coast think that they have to hang up their shoes after age 21.

The good news in all of this is that the Freelancers Alumni corps has an awesome hornline. We're having a great time playing great tunes. The best part? NO DRAMA. None. Nadda. Ziltch. We show up, we play, we leave. I couldn't ask for much more.

More good news? You betcha (and perhaps Kelli or someone from the organization can verify this), the drumline (...and colorguard?) is getting going as well, sometime in the fall. I don't know many of the specifics. Sorry.

So keep your eyes and ears peeled. Good things are happening.

Your right Mike, good things are happening, Freelancers are developing plans to field next year, as an alumni corps. Not a competitive Senior.......yet. It takes money to make that move, so we are using what we have available to organize.

The Freelancer Alumni Brass went way beyond expectation and has lit a fire under a few individuals, the idea was to have

fun just as you mentioned, then see where it can go. We have long range goals and do not want to bend people over with

commitment and ($$) obligation. But one things for sure....

Freelancers know how to throw a party!

:thumbup: