My annual thread...

From one drum corps dad to another - well done sir!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, well he also said he wouldn't go to a drum corps show if it was across the street and it was free. Years later I played him a cd of some music I had done for a corps (won't mention which one) that was pretty good, and asked him, "OK, NOW would you go to a show if it was across the street and free?" He thought about it for about 2 seconds (a long time for my Irish immigrant father) and replied, "No (two beats) but I might sit on the front porch."

I didn't win too many arguments with the old man.

I'll bet he was a lot of fun to talk with over a pint or two.

you met my dad?

Ray,

Your humility astounds me...although I've known you for a long time!

Your adorable little rugrats were a wonderful addition to our many Bridgemen rehearsals, and their many successes don't surprise me at all.

You sell yourself short, my friend. You influenced the lives of many, many other drum corps kids, and your legacy is far wider than perhaps even you realize. You are a wonderful instructor and mentor, and taught a lot of great life lessons (as well as a lot of great music lessons) to a whole slew of kids who will be forever greatful.

Now, could you please start teaching my 5 year old and almost 2 year old how to play a horn? The 5 year old loves to laugh at Mommy on the DVDs, and the little one is showing disturbing signs of being a drummer.

With much love and gratitude,

Karen

I grew up in Boston, and I've never known an Irishman that stopped at a pint or two - unless he was on the wagon :cool:

I agree ,my boys didn't either, :lol: But they did have their own thing as they both were & are part of the Koshare Indian Dancers of La Junta ,Co. They tour the United States & other countries similar to drum corps, so THAT IS their drum corp. I'm proud of them :worthy: as both are Chiefs in the organization & there is still hope for my daughter :lol: as she is only 9 & has started to show alittle intrest in drum corps in general. I hope she does ,but whatever she does will be ok by me.

Gee you're lucky! My boys never had the desire to do drum corps.

Ray,

Your humility astounds me...although I've known you for a long time!

Your adorable little rugrats were a wonderful addition to our many Bridgemen rehearsals, and their many successes don't surprise me at all.

You sell yourself short, my friend. You influenced the lives of many, many other drum corps kids, and your legacy is far wider than perhaps even you realize. You are a wonderful instructor and mentor, and taught a lot of great life lessons (as well as a lot of great music lessons) to a whole slew of kids who will be forever greatful.

Now, could you please start teaching my 5 year old and almost 2 year old how to play a horn? The 5 year old loves to laugh at Mommy on the DVDs, and the little one is showing disturbing signs of being a drummer.

With much love and gratitude,

Karen

Now you've done it - you're making me cry at work!!! You know - I learned some things from you, too. You got right in my face in Columbus OH (during that wild thunderstorm?) and got my head pulled out of my well you know, when I was flipping out about kids acting like kids - playing in the rain. You always had a natural ease of command, which helped the Bridgemen enormously during that difficult year, and then got Star off to an amazing start. Your 5 year old isn't laughing at you, he or she is smiling. Kids are smart. Your kids are lucky. I'll see your love and gratitude and raise you a healthy dose of admiration and respect.

Sincerely,

Ray

Now you've done it - you're making me cry at work!!! You know - I learned some things from you, too. You got right in my face in Columbus OH (during that wild thunderstorm?) and got my head pulled out of my well you know, when I was flipping out about kids acting like kids - playing in the rain. You always had a natural ease of command, which helped the Bridgemen enormously during that difficult year, and then got Star off to an amazing start. Your 5 year old isn't laughing at you, he or she is smiling. Kids are smart. Your kids are lucky. I'll see your love and gratitude and raise you a healthy dose of admiration and respect.

Sincerely,

Ray

We're going to have to have this thread moved to the sappy, teary-eyed old farts forum. Thank you for the lovely words, my friend, and I hope you and your very talented family enjoy the rest of the Summer.

Best wishes,

Karen