My annual thread...

My 27 year old daughter Tammy never went home from the hospital when she was born - she went directly to a Hurricanes' camp for three days. She's in Michigan City tonight teaching Blue Devils' B corps guard. She spun with Boston for 11 (yes 11) years.

When my son Ray Jr. was 6 years old, I asked all four kids what they wanted to be when they grew up. The others wanted to be doctors, firemen, scientist-ballerinas (Dan simply said he wanted to be "rich.") Ray looked very thoughtful and said, "I want to be a Boston Crusader." I couldn't even figure out how he knew who they were! They weren't on TV, and we lived in Glassboro, NJ, but I swear it's the truth. He marched in Boston for 9 years, and he's out in Indiana working with Boston's marching staff this week.

Kevin wouldn't practive the trumpet. I saw no future for him on a brass instrument. Dennis Delucia asked him what kind of music he liked and he replied, "heavy metal." Dennis gave him a pair of cymbals. Apparently they weren't heavy enough. He traded them in on a contra-bass bugle, and played with Crossmen for three years, Boston for two, and Devils for three. Now he's a tuba teacher and performer working on his Masters Degree in Music.

When Dan was 14 and playing in Boston, Katherine Gallagher, rifle diva and stand-up comic of Blessed Sac winter guard fame, decreed that he would marry Kheli Sweeney, who had just joined the guard at the age of 14. They're getting married in October at the age of 29 (Kheli still looks 21). Sometimes you can't make this stuff up. I think sometimes that it's hardest for Dan. When he goes to a show he'll hang in the parking lot and watch his other alma mater, BD warm up, or catch up with Gino. He swears he hates drum corps now and has no interest in the activity. I believe in my heart that he misses it the most of all. He's funny that way.

I'm proud of my kids. I now it makes for a lousy thread on DCP, but it's the only subject I ever introduce. Plus, while I myself never made a lot of difference in the activity - I did leave a sizeable legacy. The gift that keeps on giving.

Go BDB! Go BOSCRU. G

Love,

Dad

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah. Not a lousy thread.

"Never made a lot of difference in the activity"?? After reading your post, I beg to differ. You said it yourself:

"I did leave a sizeable legacy. The gift that keeps on giving"

You should be proud!

My 27 year old daughter Tammy never went home from the hospital when she was born - she went directly to a Hurricanes' camp for three days. She's in Michigan City tonight teaching Blue Devils' B corps guard. She spun with Boston for 11 (yes 11) years.

When my son Ray Jr. was 6 years old, I asked all four kids what they wanted to be when they grew up. The others wanted to be doctors, firemen, scientist-ballerinas (Dan simply said he wanted to be "rich.") Ray looked very thoughtful and said, "I want to be a Boston Crusader." I couldn't even figure out how he knew who they were! They weren't on TV, and we lived in Glassboro, NJ, but I swear it's the truth. He marched in Boston for 9 years, and he's out in Indiana working with Boston's marching staff this week.

Kevin wouldn't practive the trumpet. I saw no future for him on a brass instrument. Dennis Delucia asked him what kind of music he liked and he replied, "heavy metal." Dennis gave him a pair of cymbals. Apparently they weren't heavy enough. He traded them in on a contra-bass bugle, and played with Crossmen for three years, Boston for two, and Devils for three. Now he's a tuba teacher and performer working on his Masters Degree in Music.

When Dan was 14 and playing in Boston, Katherine Gallagher, rifle diva and stand-up comic of Blessed Sac winter guard fame, decreed that he would marry Kheli Sweeney, who had just joined the guard at the age of 14. They're getting married in October at the age of 29 (Kheli still looks 21). Sometimes you can't make this stuff up. I think sometimes that it's hardest for Dan. When he goes to a show he'll hang in the parking lot and watch his other alma mater, BD warm up, or catch up with Gino. He swears he hates drum corps now and has no interest in the activity. I believe in my heart that he misses it the most of all. He's funny that way.

I'm proud of my kids. I now it makes for a lousy thread on DCP, but it's the only subject I ever introduce. Plus, while I myself never made a lot of difference in the activity - I did leave a sizeable legacy. The gift that keeps on giving.

Go BDB! Go BOSCRU. G

Love,

Dad

Awesome kids ( yep, I performed with all of them...Crossmen, Archer-Epler, Archer-Epler Jr.), awesome family, awesome Dad...whom by the way many of us miss a great deal!

All of you are the best...truly. "but who knows where or when"....we STILL watch all the chorus vids...

Gee you're lucky! My boys never had the desire to do drum corps.

Gee you're lucky! My boys never had the desire to do drum corps.

Mine never had a choice.. the only glitch is that my daughter hated the french horn and ended up spinning. Would have had my brass quintet. I kept her though and it was a good move - she's wonderful.

Go BDB! Go BOSCRU. G

Love,

Dad

Hey Ray:

As you well know, I remember your kids at a young age running around on Randalls island with my kids at Skyliner rehearsal. Could it have really been that long ago? To have your kids follow in your footsteps is a great honor.

No problems in your gene pool ! You did good. My son has no musical talent, can't carry a tune in a muck bucket. Daughter is woodwind player, but thinks DC is cool. Maybe there is hope ! :wink:

*goes to the BD alum roster, plugs in "Fallon"*

Lessee:

Kevin: 1997-98 A corps contra (1 ring)

Dan: 1998-2000 A corps soprano

Melissa: 1994-97 guard (3 rings) (Was she one of yours?)

Tammy: 08 B corps guard tech (a ring likely)

not bad at all!