Quick Theater Review

Hampton VA

About 150 fans I would guess. A few sound blips, but OK volume and clear picture.

Loutest cheers of the night - Phantom - no one else in the same league. Crown (probably the 'local' favorits but still 100+/- miles away would be second.

Most groans - Cadets

Loudest cheers in first half - Madison.

Most cold, sobering water - South African statistics

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loutest cheers of the night - Phantom - no one else in the same league. Crown (probably the 'local' favorits but still 100+/- miles away would be second.

Most groans - Cadets

Loudest cheers in first half - Madison.

From the stadium (my section at least) it was about the same. Regiment had us on our feet several times, and we were going nuts for about the last 45 seconds.

Crown and cavies were very impressive. BD was ok, but pretty much everyone around me had them in 3rd.

Cadets garnered a lot of muttering and commentary, and we thought Vanguard should have been much much closer to them.

Great night, perfect weather, stellar performances... looking forward to tomorrow night, hoping Regiment gets the credit for their outstanding energy and GE

Spirit - blah show. dirty forms and un-inspiring music.

Colts - GREAT show! Lots of good energy and enthusiasm. Hoping to see them climb a few spots : )

Madison Scouts - great sound. blah show. Guard was BORING. Cool percussion stuff going on.

Crossmen - very surprised by this show. Well done! Thought they should have beaten Madison tonight

Glassmen - An ok show. Music wasn't too energetic but the guard had a great show!

Blue Stars - LOVED IT!!! Great new drill sets in the closer and a fun new ending : )

Blue Knights - rifle line was on tonight, though they had a few bobbles. Music was gorgeous!!! Hoping they can break 90 on Saturday.

Boston - to be honest... I hated it. Music was good, but overall it felt very high school band. Guard uniforms were a HUGE letdown from what i'd heard of them back in June. YUCK!

Cadets- it was ok. Music was fantastic and the drill was amazing!

Phantom - WOW!!!!

Crown - ugly flags, but the show was great!

CAvaliers - wonderful job!!

Blue Devils - absurd? yes. champion? no doubt about it.

Hoping Phantom will move up to 2nd come Saturday.... or pull out a win. : )

Colts - GREAT show! Lots of good energy and enthusiasm. Hoping to see them climb a few spots : )

Blue Stars - LOVED IT!!! Great new drill sets in the closer and a fun new ending : )

Phantom - WOW!!!!

I agree with all of these. And I'll add the Bluecoats to the "big thumbs up" list for me. Great show. But was it just me, or did the 'Coats have a microphone issue with the ring announcer at the beginning? We didn't hear the "boxer announcements" at all in the theater... the rest of their narration came across loud and clear, and IMO, was very well handled.

Honest to God, though.... I've been around drum corps in one way or another for more than 40 years now (I guess that puts me in the "old-timers" category....LOL).... I've seen boatloads of performances.... junior, all-age, alumni....

But I can probably count on one hand the number of performances that have absolutely blown me away as did Phantom Regiment's performance in the quarterfinals this year.... and that is viewing them on the movie screen. I can only imagine what they were like in person. Their show was absolutely, positively, one thousand percent off the hook. I mean, WOW. :smile::smile::peek:

I'm a big Blue Devils fan, and can easily see why they won this show.... but I thought Phantom would be closer in score.

Fran

Spirit - blah show. dirty forms and un-inspiring music.

Madison Scouts - great sound. blah show. Guard was BORING. Cool percussion stuff going on.

Crossmen - very surprised by this show. Well done! Thought they should have beaten Madison tonight

Glassmen - An ok show. Music wasn't too energetic but the guard had a great show!

Blue Knights - rifle line was on tonight, though they had a few bobbles. Music was gorgeous!!! Hoping they can break 90 on Saturday.

Boston - to be honest... I hated it. Music was good, but overall it felt very high school band. Guard uniforms were a HUGE letdown from what i'd heard of them back in June. YUCK!

Cadets- it was ok. Music was fantastic and the drill was amazing!

Phantom - WOW!!!!

Spirit - They need to go back to the drawing board.Its too late nevermind

Colts - GREAT show! Really enjoyed it.

Madison Scouts - Loved this show too.I thought they were miles ahead of Crossmen and Glassmen.

Crossmen - Blah

Glassmen - Blah

Blue Stars - Ok show.Not much to rave about.They were refreshing after seeing Crossmen and Glassme

Blue Knights - Better than years past.Still kind of a dud.

Boston - I hated it.Period

Cadets- As a cadets fan this show left me flat even without the narration.

Phantom -Phantom looked really dirty early in the show.I mean really dirty.Intervals and visuals all over the place.Played their rear end off though.

Crown - What a great Season.There was a reason they were in third coming into tonight.They should have stayed in third.

CAvaliers - Great show and well done.STill need to clean it up and they will be champions this year.By far one of the best visual shows this year.

Blue Devils - Champion?Not tonight and not this year.This is the second time I have seen them this season.Left me flat both times.Drill is pretty cool but nothing seems to meld between songs.A good 3rd place corps at best..

Probably 200 people in my theatre.... best crowd reaction to a show was probably a tie between Phantom and Crown. Loudest cheer from everyone was early on when they put up the standings for the Open Class and Spokane Thunder was in 6th place (of course I was watching this in Spokane, so we may have been a bit biased....!)

Spirit - They need to go back to the drawing board.Its too late nevermind

Colts - GREAT show! Really enjoyed it.

Madison Scouts - Loved this show too.I thought they were miles ahead of Crossmen and Glassmen.

Crossmen - Blah

Glassmen - Blah

Blue Stars - Ok show.Not much to rave about.They were refreshing after seeing Crossmen and Glassme

Blue Knights - Better than years past.Still kind of a dud.

Boston - I hated it.Period

Cadets- As a cadets fan this show left me flat even without the narration.

Phantom -Phantom looked really dirty early in the show.I mean really dirty.Intervals and visuals all over the place.Played their rear end off though.

Crown - What a great Season.There was a reason they were in third coming into tonight.They should have stayed in third.

CAvaliers - Great show and well done.STill need to clean it up and they will be champions this year.By far one of the best visual shows this year.

Blue Devils - Champion?Not tonight and not this year.This is the second time I have seen them this season.Left me flat both times.Drill is pretty cool but nothing seems to meld between songs.A good 3rd place corps at best..

Wow a little cranky tonight? Did someone pee in your popcorn? Thanks for the insightful (not) commentary.

I agree with all of these. And I'll add the Bluecoats to the "big thumbs up" list for me. Great show. But was it just me, or did the 'Coats have a microphone issue with the ring announcer at the beginning? We didn't hear the "boxer announcements" at all in the theater... the rest of their narration came across loud and clear, and IMO, was very well handled.

Honest to God, though.... I've been around drum corps in one way or another for more than 40 years now (I guess that puts me in the "old-timers" category....LOL).... I've seen boatloads of performances.... junior, all-age, alumni....

But I can probably count on one hand the number of performances that have absolutely blown me away as did Phantom Regiment's performance in the quarterfinals this year.... and that is viewing them on the movie screen. I can only imagine what they were like in person. Their show was absolutely, positively, one thousand percent off the hook. I mean, WOW. :smile::smile::peek:

I'm a big Blue Devils fan, and can easily see why they won this show.... but I thought Phantom would be closer in score.

Fran

Fran I can't agree with you more. Rockaway NJ was packet and the biggest crowd reaction (besides Hoppy's interview) LOL was Phantom. Most inspiring performance from ANY drum corps I have ever witnessed in 30 plus years. I was blown away that they came in 3rd in visual. I'm sorry. but I had Phantom in 1st.

Cavies at a close 2nd. I really like the show and they performed it well. But not the inspiring performance as done by Phantom. Good thinkg I'm not a judge.

I was rocking back and forth with 3rd between Devils and Crown, and maybe me not really liking Devils show I had Crown ahead of them by at least .5.

Cadets were very good. I wish Drew Wilke the best of luck going into semi's and finals. They have a very talented corps. The show just drops any of the excitement value with the narration IMO. I really have issues with that though because I truly respect each and every performer in the Cadets. One of THE hardest working corps in DCI. I had a hard time trying to piece together how the narration fit anything the corps was doing and it may be the one thing holding them back. Because of that I actually had Cadets much lower.

I really like Coats show and had them above Santa Clara. And we also noticed the Ring announcer's mic issues. Kinda wish we knew what he was saying...But!!!! I still hate narration. <wink> Key Polans muisc is always something incredible to listen to. Playing some of it myself I can respect that. I think visually SCV was very dirty. Was looking for a much better performance from them.

The one thing I did notice though was the tremendous amount of talent in ALL the corps within the top 12. Probably some of the most talented drum corps kids I have seen in a very long time. Much credit goes out to all the kids and staff of these drum corps. Its taken the activity to a whole other level.

Oh!!!! Much thanks to Brent Croker for his intro to the Hawthorne Muchachos. Gotta love Hawthorne!!!!

Edited by JKatzmellophone

only got to see the last 8 corps tonight pretty much. downside of teaching marching band on the night quartfinals are on :smile:

anyways.

caught a bit of Boston Crusaders coming into the theatre. Had the pleasure of seeing them in Rome a couple of weeks ago, also. LOVED the ending music wise. obviously didn't get to see much standing in the side of a theatre, but what we heard sounded great!

didn't really get to pay attention much to the Blue Knights. too busy trying to find seats...

next up...Bluecoats. I never really used to be a fan of this corps until recent years and hadn't really heard much about their show this year until tonight. like recent years though, i LOVED this years show. not sure if it was a microphone issue in the beginning (most likely) but if it wasn't for the close up of the guy, i probably wouldn't have noticed the mix up since it still flowed well. absolutely LOVED the drum break. very unique and fit in perfectly with the visual performance.

SCV-if i suddenly became a millionaire overnight, without a doubt I would audition for this corps for my age out year next year. There's just something about them that I love year to year no matter what the show theme or how well they perform it. this year was no different. loved the drill. LOVED the music also. it was different than most corps have done in the past.

Cadets-it was irritating while in the theatres hearing everyone "groan" as the cadets took the field. I've seen a fair share of drum corps rehearsals and shows in the past years and, by far, this is one of the hardest working corps i've ever seen and its hard to hear people put a judgment like that on a show that the kids have worked so hard putting together. anyways. as for the show itself. typically, i'm not a fan of the narration at all, but i didn't think it took away from the show that much. i personally prefer a show that tells a story rather than a show theme and music that incorporates that theme. the opening of american elegy was, IMO, gorgeous. amazing piece. especially when performed by the cadets. some of the guard solos throughout the show were amazing as well. drum break is probably my favorite part especially after hearing them rehearse it this past weekend in allentown so much. LOVED the newer ending, altho the original ending with the smiley face was pretty creative :smile:

Phantom Regiment-all I can say is. Wow. Which is all I could say this past weekend in Allentown after seeing them for the first time. If I thought I had my favorite drum corps shows in history picked out before, this one would probably top them all off. From the warmups right to the very end the show was an amazing depiction of the Roman slave vs army theme. also, that drumline!! 19.8 out of 20. and thats just quarterfinals! i was stunned watching my friend in the bass line during their warmups this weekend. absolutely incredible sound! overall i just loved the music, loved the theme, the performance to me was out of this world. there are probably only two things in the show that i wish could be different. somewhere in there, putting in the famous phantom leg pose. and the drum major that is "Stabbed" at the end should stay down until the podium is off the field. sort of throws of what is happening. other than that, i would LOVEEE to see them win it this year!

Crown-now i know i usually say that i love corps and shows for the themes, but crown...didn't fit into this. i LOVED the music and overall carolina crown show this year despite there not being an immediate story line to it. best part to me? 16 contras? WOW. you can't go wrong with that. not to mention they sounded incredible. also got to see them live saturday night. loved. loved. loved. loved. this show. gave me inspiration to maybe audition next year? we'll see haha

Cavaliers-probably the only other corps i would like to see win this year other than phantom. one of the reasons I love this corps so much is because 99% of the time, they pick the perfect show to keep the audience wanting more and usually have great show themes. this year is no different. the theme was great and they performed it incredibly well! loved the one part with the moving circle through the drumline. flashback to my favorite show of theirs (2004 - 007) also, being a pit person, one of my favorite parts was the incorporation of the actual japanese drumming AND drumming technique in the pit. made it seem all the more real. overall, another great cavalier performance. incredible drill, music not as intriguing to me as phantom, but still performed incredibly well!

BD-after seeing both the cavies and phantom in the past week, i was expecting a real knock out show from bd who has been winning all season. don't get me wrong, i love BD. my favorite show of all time was 1994 blue devils. but this year, just didn't do it for me. i feel like i'm always looking for that show where i can walk away and remember most of the show because it was just that interesting and had that type of wow factor to it. I just didn't get that "wow" factor out of bd. don't get me wrong, they performed incredibly well. amazing hornline. and the colorguard. WOW. great guard. no doubt about it. the show itself though I just didn't understand. well, obviously i understood the theme but, i guess i just didn't love it.

overall, this is probably one of my favorite years of drum corps in the past few years, the last overall year i loved was 2004. As far as the shows themselves and how much i enjoyed them, my top 5 would be the following...

1-Phantom Regiment

2-Cavaliers

3-SCV

4-Crown

5-Cadets

(honorable mention - the Colts. not sure why, but i absolutely LOVE that show this year. great music <3)

as far as realistically and who i think should be the top 5?

1-Phantom Regiment

2-Cavaliers

3-Blue Devils (though i predict they will either win or top 2...)

4-Crown

5-Cadets