Is narration dead now?

(shhhhhh..... if we don't talk about it any more, it might get bored and go home.... shhhhhhhhh)

:thumbup:

LMAO!!!

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kinda interesting to read about DIFFERENT glitches at different locations. Are these truly the broadacster's issues or the receivers??

If I remember correctly, it's a satellite feed, yes? That could come down to a number of things. The dish needs to be re-aligned, weather, bad cables/hook up etc. None of which DCI has control over. It's up to the individual theater to make sure everything is in order. Except for the weather, of course.

Last night after hearing George Hopkins' interview after the show, I couldn't help but think that the narration remained in the show out of his sheer stubborness. He recognized that it wasn't working, and it wasn't. It's not just that it wasn't particularly effective - it had nothing to do with what the rest of the corps was doing, which is worse in my book. It was otherwise a perfectly good show that would have been just fine without a stage or an amplified word. I didn't see the show early this season, but I understand the narration underwent significant changes - to the point that apparently a whole different story was being told.

Why leave it in? Why not cut your losses and just put on a really good drum corps show?

I am convinced that it is possible to effectively use narration, but this particular show is, to me, the poster child for those who hate it.

Hey, um... yeah, maybe you guys noticed. Despite Hopkins did say the narration wasn't working. Actually, he just said "things" weren't working out... he did say that narration had a place for all corps in the future, or something along those lines.

Things happen. Technical problems occur. Shows don't turn out how a program coordinator or director expected. People try new things that aren't received well the first time out.

It happens every year in one way or another.

Narration is not dead. These corps are just trying it out and working out the kinks.

Why does everyone think the Bluecoats only use narration for effect. I heard plenty of talking during their show that was not simply for an effect.

It seems that people are okay with narration as long as it is not coming from the Cadets.

agreed

Why leave it in? Why not cut your losses and just put on a really good drum corps show?

I agree with this... but [this issue just came to me] what happens to the kids who were doing it? Do they get sent home since their part of the show got cut?

not as dead as these cigarettes

never mind.

like jeremy said on page 2....i'm really curious, do people really watch bluecoats 2007 and see the vocals as simply "complimentary?" the design used it to spell out the entire plot/storyline/development.

same with '08, though a little less so. theyre still using it to tell the audience exactly what's going on as the show progresses.

Edited by Jared_mello

Why does everyone think the Bluecoats only use narration for effect. I heard plenty of talking during their show that was not simply for an effect.

I agree and disagree. Mike Boo said it best himself in the QF blog - Bluecoats are putting out drum corps storytelling at its finest. The difference between the Bluecoats and The Cadets (and this is objective) is that the Bluecoats story has been effective to the show throughout the season. It's generated a decent response and enhanced the message that is there even without the narration.

Bad analogy time - To me, narration is like cooking soup. The Cadets put in way too much garlic (narration) and when we first tasted (saw), we all had this bad taste in our mouths because most everyone didn't like it. And like garlic does, it stuck with us. They tried to scoop a majority of the garlic out of the soup and do so successfully, but we still have the taste left from the beginning of the season. That's why the narration The Cadets put on isn't well received even still. Looking at it from an unbiased standpoint and stepping back a bit, the show is so much more effective with less of the fluff. I think most people just need the off season to brush their teeth and get ready to be blown away by Holy Name and West Side Story in 2009. :smile:

(And this may or may not be the most ######## post you've read all season. I tried! :smile:)

wait, what? you didnt hear anything in the theatre, from bluecoats up until the final scores were announced for the night?

At least then they weren't bugged by the narration! :smile: