• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And your point is...?

Fred O.

I am guessing - the POINT IS - a neutral panel from top to bottom might be viewed differently than a panel that has FMM. It's happened many times over the years with many diff panels.

Sour grapes have been thrown from other corps in the past, no diff this year either. PR won. It's over.

I am guessing - the POINT IS - a neutral panel from top to bottom might be viewed differently than a panel that has FMM. .

Well then, I guess my point is that it's a disrespect to those judges to imply that they are not a "neutral panel." Is there any real basis to assume that they wouldn't be fair in their assessment? The OP or others may say that they're not implying bias or favoritism. But if not, why raise the issue at all? The the possibility of bias/lack of impartiality is implicit in the question (imo, anyway - for whatever that's worth).

Pipitone marched both PR ad BD, if I recall correctly. If Blue Devils had scored well on his sheet, would someone then be justified in coming on board and suggesting bias in favor of BD?

It's safe to say that most, if not all, of the green shirts marched somewhere. Should we not let anyone judge a corps that they've marched in? You'd have to disqualify practically the whole judging community during DCI week.

Sour grapes have been thrown from other corps in the past, no diff this year either. PR won. It's over.

No argument there - we can both agree on that!

Peace to all - no personal disrespect intended,

Fred O.

I would think questions could only be reasonably raised if one of two scenarios happened:

(1) BD had been neck and neck with Phantom's percussion in QF & SF, only to plummet in Finals. (Which didn't happen: Phantom took percussion every show and the Blue Devils were never even within 0.5 in that caption.)

(2) One judge was a FMM, the other wasn't, and their caption scores were markedly different. But Jeff Prosperie and J.J. Pipitone were spot on with one another: their individual scores didn't differ more than a tenth of a point for any of the Top 6 corps.

PHANTOM - 19.85 (Jeff 19.80, JJ 19.90)

BLUE DEVILS - 19.00 (Jeff 19.00, JJ 19.00)

CAVALIERS - 19.55 (Jeff 19.50, JJ 19.60)

CAROLINA CROWN - 19.10 (Jeff 19.10, JJ 19.10)

THE CADETS - 18.80 (Jeff 18.80, JJ 18.80)

BLUECOATS - 19.35 (Jeff 19.30, JJ 19.40)

Two judges on the same caption whose scores are that close to one another usually means a pretty accurate result. Consistency across judges is an important thing.

Thank goodness JJ marched both PR AND BD. (That drum corps hopper). So, there shouldn't be any conspiracies.

So...where did the brass and color guard judges march?

More importantly, I can't recall ever having questions about either Jeff or JJs relative numbers. Can't be said for all the judges on the DCI roster, but that's what gives us something to talk about. My impression has always been that Jeff and JJ have always been fair and professional.

JJ and Jeff are very respected judges from what I've been told...Both BD and Phantom had amazing shows and sometimes panels will see things differently..In Percussion, BD was down .45 quarters, .55 semis, and .85 finals..So the spread pretty much doubled from quarters to finals..But it wasn't just percussion which cost them..In Music Ensemble, BD was down .1 quarters, .5 semis, and .7 finals..

Edited by Feathers Up

Yes, both Jeff Prosperie and JJ Piptone marched PR. Jeff marched PR 87-88 after marching in Star 86. JJ marched PR in 90 then went to BD in 91. Both have also worked with PR on an instructional level as well. Jeff was percussion caption head 90-92 then was percussion arranger 93-94. I am not sure of the years JJ worked with the corps but I know he was teaching in 95. But, as many have already said, both are very well respected judges and have never had any numbers questioned at any point in this season or any other. Both have worked with very highly respected arrangers/caption heads during there marching years as well as during there education. Any attempt to say that there was bias in the judging at finals needs only to review the numbers in Qtrs and Semis to see that they were in exact line with the 4 judges that posted scores for the two shows earlier in the week.

Crown got 4th in percussion:

PR - 19.85

Cav - 19.55

BCoats - 19.35

Crown - 19.10