Let me be the first to ask...

audience reaction  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which audience reaction was more incredible?

• 2008 Phantom Regiment
    • 1995 Madison Scouts

So the thought occurred to me sometime after the theater gig: ONLY in terms of the audience reaction at the end of the respective shows...and I DO mean respect here!...which one elicited a more amazing, longer, louder, etc, etc, etc reaction from the crowd?

2008 Phantom Regiment and its 30-35 second ovation BEFORE the end???

Or...

1995 Madison Scouts and its, like, 5-MINUTE ovation AFTER the end???

I hate putting something out there like this that can become ugly, so please, let's all agree that both shows are simply amazing, and arguably the defining production of each corps. Be nice...only discussing audience reaction at the end.

No four-letter words necessary.

The end of both shows was amazing, and both received thunderous applause and big-time standing Os. But the difference is that the ovation for Madison in 95 was a bit longer after the show ended, and it started well before the show ended. Also, Madison 95 was receiving standing Os before they walked onto the field, during the show, and after the show. I think I counted 5 or 6 standing Os for those guys in 1995.

I have NEVER seen that before or since!

I've never seen a corps completely own a stadium the way Regiment did last night. It was the most amazing audience-corps interaction I've ever seen or heard at a drum corps show. EVER!

Edited by DCIHasBeen

I remember from the broadcast not even being able to HEAR Madison very much once the crowd started up....it certainly sounds like Regiment got the same kind of response.

If there was a difference in teh crowd reaction, it was probably because Madison was not in contention for the ring.

I've never seen a corps completely own a stadium the way Regiment did last night. It was the most amazing audience-corps interaction I've ever seen or heard at a drum corps show.

I have to agree. The way in which this crowd/audience was behind Phantom Regiment was amazing. I mean, when Blue Devils were announced in Second, I screamed like a monster, as everyone else did. Folks woth Cavies shirts/BD shirts all giving 200% in support to Phantom for their victory.

Its very rare when you can get a group ofpeope to basically be in agreement, for the most part, I dont think anyone in the stadium was against Phantom Regiment or them winning the title.

Geoffrey

But the difference is that the ovation for Madison in 95 was a bit longer after the show ended, and it started well before the show ended.

I think everyone last night was just stunned and crying around me...hugs, high fives, and just staring in bewilderment in what had just occured. It was incredible and it will take some time for this to all sink in for a while to most. I would have liked to been there to see Madison 95...hopefully they can bring it back to that level before I die!

I think this poll lacks perspective. Everyone is excited about Phantom and it's recent (like yesterday). Remember, you could barely even hear Madison the last 2 minutes of their show. Listen to the audio recordings...it's sounds like the corps gets quieter, but the mikes are picking up so much noise from the crowd that it just seems that way.

I remember from the broadcast not even being able to HEAR Madison very much once the crowd started up....it certainly sounds like Regiment got the same kind of response.

It was definitely the same for Phantom. From the last asterisk set - about the time the head drum major was killed - to the end of the show, I couldn't hear a thing that the corps was playing. I'm going to have to wait for the CD's just to know what they played!

It'll be interesting to see what the CD recordings are like, too. 1995's recordings were so hot that you heard the crowd in every show. The past few years have certainly been more polished, but I wonder how strongly us in the crowd will come across on this year's recording.

Listen to the audio recordings...it's sounds like the corps gets quieter, but the mikes are picking up so much noise from the crowd that it just seems that way.

1995 had the worst finals recordings in DCI history. It's was like every corps marched 20 brass, 100 percussion (mostly crash cymbals), and there were 100,000 people sitting in the front row.

Edited by membase