Cadets Classy Retreat

If I might.....

Phantom showed up to finale at Finals and laid out a 'dead' drum major along the front sideline along with all the other DM's. Most of the crowd (myself included) thought it was a surprisingly light touch for them, and kinda witty.

Cavaliers have 'dead' members in finale, in a not so subtle homage to the "year of violence on the field" in drum corps, and it's disgusting and troubling.

I thought Green took the joke a too far, but also sense a bit of piling on here. This has been addressed by their management, and in a year, when the corps all show up for another finale, it'll have been corrected.

In the meantime, it was a good year for all involved - can we put this issue to bed and get back to focusing on HOW good a year it was?

What ?? That arrogant ***** From the Cavaliers shows nothing but disrespect to both the Cadets and those that follow drum corps. He had no reason to "stay in character" and break ranks of another corps. PERIOD. "All in good fun" Why did a director have to come to him and say or do whatever, it never should have gotten that far, it shouldnt have happened.

What does PR's drum major, in character but breaking no rank or causing an uncomfortable incident, have to do with some kid in the brassline deciding to act like an *** because they need to "stay in character" oh, and if so, why didnt they "all" or "many" of them "go for it" .

Sorry, corps loyalty aside or not, this is disgusting, rude, and uncalled for and if the staff condoned it or encouraged it, thats hardly the kind of minds I would like to see molding kids into adults, extreme ??? yes, not as extreme as that photo.

Geoffrey

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually thought the picture was funny. One of those, "caption this" contests would work with that.

I don't see a problem with pretending to be dead. I see a problem pretending to be dead and laying in the block of another corps. Perhaps this happened because corps so rarely do retreat and don't understand how it works or that the entire field is not theirs to be artsy with, rather than intentional disrespect. Either way, it is rather sad how far it has gone. :(

Perhaps in a few small ways, the chickens are coming home to roost finally.

I want to turn this a little more positive (if possible)...

As a Cadet fan/former audition camp attendee I was a little disappointed in their program this season BUT I have to say they did work hard to improve it and by finals week they were entertaining and put on a fine display of marching, music & spinning

BUT the thing that made me PROUD as a Cadet follower is the dignity they displayed - and not just at retreat

In Semi's I couldn't help but glance over at corps coming down the ramp/road leading to field level toward the right end of the stadium... several corps had members "run" down the grass, others were mobs coming down the sidewalk, others were "in formation" but were just walking in formation - out of step, etc... It all looked way too relaxed for my taste - they were clearly in view of the fans

Then the Cadets. Marching perfectly down the ramp, in perfect step, instruments held perfectly still in front of them - prayer block formation

STUNNING & CLASS ALL THE WAY!!

Yeah Cadets! Made me proud,

n640321170_1627552_3366.jpg

To be honest, this is somewhat embarrassing. I've read the same things y'all have and I'm just in shock that it would go this far. I know it's "just retreat" as some would say and I already even commented on this same thread poking fun at the subject... but if you're falling over into the Cadets block, and on the feet of one of their members... that's just wrong.

I believe it was a mistake... maybe they didn't mean to do this to that extreme but come on guys... that's ridiculous.

I am somewhat ashamed of this incident. I think it's great that everyone has their own etiquette at retreat and does what they want to sometimes, but I agree that it crosses the line (no pun intended) when it goes as far as physically interfering with another corps' block. Some of them probably all saw this and laughed (like I did at first) but if it were a momentary thing... maybe it could slide. But lying there until George Hopkins had to come over and say or do whatever is inexcusable. It very well may have been this individual's bad judgment and people around him (in the cavaliers) probably tried to get him to move, but he chose to ignore everyone? I don't know. Kids are kids, ya know. But this really shouldn't ever happen.

Perhaps this happened because corps so rarely do retreat and don't understand how it works or that the entire field is not theirs to be artsy with, rather than intentional disrespect. Either way, it is rather sad how far it has gone. :(

I'm thinking this is it.

I don't see a problem with pretending to be dead. I see a problem pretending to be dead and laying in the block of another corps. Perhaps this happened because corps so rarely do retreat and don't understand how it works or that the entire field is not theirs to be artsy with, rather than intentional disrespect. Either way, it is rather sad how far it has gone. :(

Perhaps in a few small ways, the chickens are coming home to roost finally.

Very well put.

I'll admit my bias in that I'm not always a fan of what the Cadets do, and this year is a show I was not happy with. But the nonsense represented in the picture is way over the line, no pun intended.

People went ballistic when fans booed the Cadets. While I don't support the booing, in my opinion, this sort of disrespect from another corps member is way worse than any booing; I thought corps members knew better.

The lack of retreat experience may (MAY!!!!) explain some of the antics -- most of which I didn't think were that big of a deal anyway. But the purposeful butchering of America The Beautiful has NO excuse. Some of this crap (the hangovers, the octave shifts, etc) has been going on for years, even back in the day when retreats were commonplace, but what took place this year was beyond anything I had ever witnessed before. I simply don't understand how groups that are so disciplined and organized and focused on the group rather than the individual all year long are then allowed to display such, shall we say, "individuality" at retreat. I place the blame for this solely, 100%, on the staff and adminstrations of the corps. When placement and scores are at stake, teamwork and discipline is drilled into these kids' heads. Rightly so, of course. But it seems that when placements and scores are no longer an issue, then a "oh well, what can we do? Kids will be kids" attitude is taken by those responsible. Some corps NEVER, EVER disrespect the audience or the performance. That's not just luck of the type of kids they get -- it's the adminstration and staff of those corps taking responsibility for absolutely everything that happens while those young adults are in their care. We can argue about show design and rules changes all we want, but I saw and heard all I needed to late Saturday night to know which corps I would entrust my child to and which I would not.

Unfortunately, I have absolutely ZERO faith that anything will come of this and I fully expect similar or worse antics next year from certain groups and continued discipline from others.

Edited by Liam