Cadets Classy Retreat

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't dent the horns though...

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that people who marched in the corps you and I have marched in are really good ones to comment on how not to dent horns. :tongue:

As distasteful as some of the reports in this thread have been...they pale in comparison to one retreat I was in back around 1969, at Garden State Circuit champs in Dover NJ. St Martin's Troubadors from Newark NJ and St Andrews Bridgemen got into a huge fight right on the field after retreat...it was so bad that St Martin's moderator disbanded the corps immediately.

That fight was a thing of legend, even when I joined the corps in '75.

I don't know who started it (by nature we were lovers, not fighters ... seriously Ed Holmes wouldn't tolerate someone in Andrews starting it), but I know who finished it.

BTW, St. Andrews won that show ... :tongue:

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Also, much has been made of the great sportsmanship shown by Cavies by going around to Phantom to congratulate them. I am in no position to know why they did that, but in my view (based on all that had transpired beforehand), I interpreted that as them going out of their way to congratulate Phantom so effusively in front of Blue Devils. I just got the feeling that they would not have done this had they not had to walk around the Blue Devils to do it. Besides, the last time I checked, Phantom and Cavies weren't necessarily the best of friends.

Their congratulations to PR didn't stop at just what took place on the field. My friend (a Cavalier alumnus) and his girlfriend were by the Cavaliers buses after the show, and they told me that when PR came off the field after their Championship run-through and everything, the members of Cavies continued to go up, congratulate them, shake hands, talk, etc. I doubt they were doing that just to upset BD. The Cavaliers were actually happy that Phantom Regiment won and showed them their appreciation because of it. There are stories being posted on DCP about the antics of some of the members... actions that went too far. But there's no need to put a negative spin on something positive that the entire corps did.

If someone started throwing 90 MPH fastballs at me with handfulls of jolly ranchers, then yes I would. If they tossed them in a joking manner (fun, in drumcorps? Stop it!), then no I wouldn't be "offended" like so many up tight people in this thread claim to be. Stop pretending like people throw candy at retreats with malicious intent, hoping to damage equipment and make people cry. It's meant to be light-hearted fun and you know it.

I'm curious to know what your background is in drum corps. Where and when did you march?

There have always been some crazy things done during retreat by a few corps. In 1979, some members of North Star were shooting off bottle rockets. You would even hear some insults from time to time. Some of the stories related here of what went on this year are beyond good fun and indicate a problem DCI needs to deal with.

That fight was a thing of legend, even when I joined the corps in '75.

I don't know who started it (by nature we were lovers, not fighters ... seriously Ed Holmes wouldn't tolerate someone in Andrews starting it), but I know who finished it.

BTW, St. Andrews won that show ... :smile:

Oh, St Andrews was head and shoulders the best in the GSC then. I don't even say I competed against them (see sig for my corps)...just that I marched on the same field. :smile:

We did share one thing at that point with St Andrews...Bucky Swan taught both of us (though it seemed he taught ALL of the GSC hornlines back then!).

If someone started throwing 90 MPH fastballs at me with handfulls of jolly ranchers, then yes I would. If they tossed them in a joking manner (fun, in drumcorps? Stop it!), then no I wouldn't be "offended" like so many up tight people in this thread claim to be. Stop pretending like people throw candy at retreats with malicious intent, hoping to damage equipment and make people cry. It's meant to be light-hearted fun and you know it.

So people throw jolly ranchers at retreat to have fun huh?? Wow, those people really need to find another way to entertain themselves...Throwing candy just sounds like SO much FUN...Or not..

So people throw jolly ranchers at retreat to have fun huh?? Wow, those people really need to find another way to entertain themselves...Throwing candy just sounds like SO much FUN...Or not..

It actually is. First thing I do when I wake up in the morning is grab a handful of Sprees and throw them up into my ceiling fan then duck back under my covers as they shatter and shoot out all over the room.

I giggle like a school girl when I do this and it makes me happy and I always have good days.

/sarcasm