'09 Shows I want to See

PR could continue their over-the-top storytelling style + great music from the past with Symphonie Fantastique

You seriously read my mind. I was going to post this exact same thing. Bring on the Berlioz!

EDIT: quoted wrong post.

Edited by MN DCI Fan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see:

Phantom- The Battle of the Sexes (continuance of beating the tar out of the female "slave" guard members)

BD- The Big Skirt Dance Off- Yowza Yowza Yowza (using their new skirts in various visuals)

Cavies- Ninja vs. Smaurai

Crown- Beginnings.

Cadets- Finding my inner Voice, or Disrupting Quiet Time?

SCV- Clubber Lane- The Revenge- (Responding to the Bluecoats)

Bluecoats- Wrestlemania!

Blue Knights- Phantom '08 had Spartacus, BK could have= "I AM BAR- ISH- NI- KOV!!"

BStars- Le Doping Scandel

Boston- Back to Earth or Bust (sequel to Cosmos)

Glassmen- Rage- Life as viewed through a teenager's eyes (when the little girl grows up)

Madison- La Dia De La Cucaracha

Just some thoughts.

Wes P

Truth

I agree, this would be a phenomenal show. Oh, Regiment did it 3 years ago- and it WAS.

They've already announced their '09 show, "Clue", as part of their 3-part trilogy. Now PHANTOM doing Nevsky- :tongue:

i didn't like regiments an american in paris, it was just missing something to me, which is weird becasue typically i love their hornline. honestly, i liked madisons 87 version better musically, it had a little more of that raw, bouncy kind of gershwin feel to it, but visually didn't really try to approach what the film did. no, i'm still waiting for a perfect an american in paris show, and it really seems like the most natural fit with the cadets style to me.

Holy Name - Candide

Not just the tunes that are presented in the Overture, but several selections from the operetta.

I also want there to be a full compliment of singers - amazing ones.

PBS recently broadcast an unstated version and it was excellent and very entertaining. The story is a farce and it was narrated (don't kill me) by one of the main characters.

It has the things that make for a great story: sex, comedy and plenty of blood (everyone dies)

Make Our Garden Grow for the finale....has championship written all over it!

Holy Name - Candide

Not just the tunes that are presented in the Overture, but several selections from the operetta.

Would Hopkins represent Pangloss and catch syphilis?

I kid. I kid.

This is cool!

I would like to see

Blue Devils- Steve Vai, Passion and Warfare

yes, its guitar driven, but so many different voices play a major role. Some phenomenal potential here. Maybe even mix it up with some Joe Satriani

Cavaliers- The Music of Prince. I know what your thinking, but they are so imaginitive with thier charts, and so is Prince (if you get beyond whats on the radio). Maybe even "BatDance" from the original Batman soundtrack and meld that into a Batman theme? They are GREAT with "Subtle" uses of motif

Carolina Crown-If we can get the rights away from Disney, interpret the Disneyland performing show "Fantasmic!".

Anyone seen this? Its at the Disney in L.A. and its a huge laser light, water cannon, musical, fireworks type of thing which can be summarized as "The history of Disney" with alot of fun edges! Crowns power musically and ability to connect with the crowd would make this thing just ROCK! Ive wanted to design it for Band/Drum corps for years, but no director i know will take it on.

Phantom Regiment- Jekyll and Hyde

Has it been done? yes (Glassmen I believe?).

But, (and seriously no disrespect to glassmen)

I dont think the potential has NEARLY been reached of this material. I was driving along in California recently (on my way to disney actually!) and i put the 2 disc set in. (The Frank Wildhorn/Leslie Bricuse edition) and i was just blown away (all over again) at the power and emotion of this show. I think with the recent guards of Phantom Regiment being male and female, there is alot you can do from a storyline interpretation and the type of raw, intense emotion that this corps is capable of can turn this into something really special! And it just BEGS to be a Paul Rennick percussion score!

Cadets- I wouldnt mind anything bernstein personally. And although i too hate "rehashes", there is alot there. Some rehashing isnt bad as long as they bring something new to it. I think they are phenomenal at doing just that. I have a feeling Tom aungst is ready to break out 2003 style again.

Bluecoats- I think they have found thier identity lately with these fun and engaging thematic programs. And although i have seen a few "Swing and miss" type versions of this, I think they would ROCK the "Moulin Rouge" music. Thier brass power and percussion can really let some of these things fly! Again, dont think the "Main" themes as much, but some themes, with some backrgound music that is featured througout this wonderful score. If you have the movie, pop it in and give a listen to the whole backing track. its wonderful.

I would love to do all of the corps, but i gotta get back to work! Fun topic!

T

I really want to see BD do a show called Triskadekaphobia

I see a show about fear in general by BD being awesome, and they could sample music from their 12 victories too.

Crown .... Crown Imperial,

Phantom.... Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet

Crossmen... Birdland,

Blue Stars... Backwoods Sideman

Edited by musclebud