For Those Who Attended Finals

A very fun time. Definitely enjoyed the venue, which didnt have a bad seat in the house. the marketplace was set up very nicely, The stadium seemed to be sized perfectly for the crowd, just a few extra seats in the far corners.

As far as the stuff outside the stadium, lots of options all around, definitely enjoyed kilroys.

If for some reason Lucas Oil bumped DCI for a year, I would be more than happy to go back to Bloomington.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I saw of Bloomington was the stadium and from the bus. Great stadium for drum corps. Really good sound. Friendly staff. Did have a problem reaching the stadium finals afternoon. Took the bus almost 45 minutes from the "College Drive" exit of 37 to reach the stadium 4 miles away.

Indy - really nice clean downtown. But a homeless person begging on every corner. I could see Lucas from my hotel room window a short block and a half away. The one problem was that everthing, except a Steak and Shake, was closed after midnight - meaning you only had one choice for any food afterward, and no bars available. I did have dinner finals afternoon at the "Weber Grill" restraurant. The amount of salt in the marinade of my steak had me gagging. I didn't taste steak, I tasted salt. Decent prices though.

As others have said, you don't need a car unless you plan on venturing outside of the downtown area.

All in all, lookling forward to next year.

my only complaint is to the state of Indiana. why aren't there any decently paved, let alone 4 lane highways running along a North/South axis.? I think I hit every bump and construction zone from Owensboro, KY all the way to Bloomington.

Otherwise, all was well. Bloomington's just as I remembered it from years ago except with some nice economic growth.

Edited by chaos001

my only complaint is to the state of Indiana. why aren't there any decently paved, let alone 4 lane highways running along a North/South axis.? I think I hit every bump and construction zone from Owensboro, KY all the way to Bloomington.

Otherwise, all was well. Bloomington's just as I remembered it from years ago except with some nice economic growth.

Well then the politicians will have made at least one person happy (other than road builders) with the new I-69 extension in a decade. Which will be going from Indy to Evansville via Bloomington.

For placing your car, did everybody go straight into the parking lot? I parked outside of stadium parking on my own. I know for certain that I was closer than many officially parked cars, and I zoomed right out. Usually when I go to sporting events, I always try and found nearby "curbside" considering both $$ and exit strategies.

My friend, please be careful when you say such things. You must not have walked far because there are plenty of bars, with full food option, right where you were. If you saw Steak and Shake, then you were near many bars open till 3am except on Sunday. Steak and Shake is the only cheap place open downtown, but many many other places were available within a couple of blocks.

p.s. They just past a law trying to get the begging issue down

Glad to hear it and thanks for the info. I did walk several blocks around the Ill Ave area and couldn'tt find anything but closed bars. For next year, can you let us know where they were!

I honestly didn't get to see much of the town, except the Stadium and the Mellencamp athletic facility.

After having suffered through tropical hell-holes like Birmingham (in '79 it was an armpit ... Though it's gotten much nicer), Orlando (nice place, but too effing hot), Jackson (worst site ever, imo) and Dallas (hot, sweaty, in the middle of a urban warzone with nothing to drink but Dr. Pepper), I'd go back to Bloomington in a heartbeat.

$10 parking (the lowest I've EVER paid at DCI and the only rate at a finals that hasn't approached fiscal sodomy), nice weather, pleasant surroundings, good availability of decent accommodations and restaurants, and a nice stadium (the only big downside of which was the bleacher seats.)

On top of that, the concessions were reasonably priced, the stadium food remarkably good, and to top it off they had the most insanely good soft pretzels known to God or Man (and I'm a native New Yorker ... Two things we know about are great hot dogs and soft pretzels. I they did a good potato knish I'd probably consider retiring there some day.)

Glad to hear it and thanks for the info. I did walk several blocks around the Ill Ave area and couldn'tt find anything but closed bars. For next year, can you let us know where they were!

Bourbon St on the corner of Senate and Vermont is pretty close, and they're definitely open late. That's one of my very favorite spots downtown.