OK Olde Phartz

How come we had 30+ pages when people suspected BD of using a pitch modulator last year and yet no one has said anything about the OBVIOUS use of delay and reverb on the string and wind instruments used by Cavaliers. I enjoyed their use and really didn't mind them but still lets see some consistency.

I haven't left yet but I am not letting the exceptions (Phantom, Crown, Glassmen) disprove the trend towards esoteric, unapproachable, psuedo intellectual crap that is invading DCI.

Did someone call me?

I thought there was an effect on that but can’t be sure, just like the drum set in Blue Devils show sounded heavily effect too (while I was trying to look in their case holds the gear, they shut it). So we need a smoking gun like we had from that BD member, actual proof, more than what our ears heard.

Plus the resolution from the BD thread was nothing, no reply, nothing publicly from DCI –so if BD got away with it last year, it was de facto legal this year (not that I agree with that but).

I was wondering about the dulcimer though, I saw them 3 times prior to finals week but not since their Michigan City show and I don’t remember it being in there. I’m guessing they count it as tonal percussion but under that qualification an amped piano should be legal too – but was it? I doubt it

Again, I think this is a result of inaction from last year – which helped hasten electronic instruments in and lax enforcement of iffy calls this year

Personally, I’m not up for another 100 page thread right now, I really had to go under ground after that last one due to many nasty comments, threats, insults and creepy private messages. I also saw I was being run down on the Blue Devils forum and they were making up all kinds of crazy, stupid stuff about me there that the mods saw fit to leave up. It freaked me out being talked about in such a personal and negative fashion on a board that I had never even visited prior. It really was fairly off-putting and class-less, I haven’t looked at the Blue Devils the same way since and they had been one of my favorite corps for 30 plus years – what is going on there btw, what is the culture there that would allow that?

I almost killed off Cowtown due to it but hey, I’m better than that and I do stand up for what I believe and I will speak my mind freely, those are things I really value as opposed to nameless freaks claiming I desecrated the grave of Jerry because I called them on their rather questionable interpretation of the rules. So have at it, pick up the mantel and start you own thread. I just want to warn you about how it could go but then again it’s Cavies who are not Blue Devils. I may broach this topic myself a bit later this fall – but then again, its might be over with the new rules in 2009 as it is now 2009 in DCI-land at least

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus the resolution from the BD thread was nothing, no reply, nothing publicly from DCI –so if BD got away with it last year, it was de facto legal this year (not that I agree with that but).

:tongue:

I am surprised that so many folks here are so negative on the future of the activity. Let's review: We have a new champion (Phantom) which was an audience favorite due to a retro show concept and a face-ripping performance. We have Crown, who achieved their highest placement to date with VERY recognizable stuff and outstanding execution. We have Madison and Blue Stars back in finals, also with very audience friendly shows, and BAC who maintained their 10th place finish with a very audience friendly show despite a very young corps, but the one corps who prides itself on pushing the esoteric envelope had a hard time getting applause, and ended with a low placement (for them) despite massive changes...Cadets.

I am VERY hopeful for 2009. I've been around the activity since the 70's, and I think that audience engagement is back.

Finally, we know that many of these rules changes have emanated from Hoppy. Does anyone here on DCP REALLY think he still has the clout the he had just 3 years ago? I do not. And, when it comes to the judging/creative interaction, don't forget that that which is rewarded is what gets perpetuated.

Be ready for more viceral, in your face shows in 09!!! Obscure, esoteric, meaning-of-life art exhibits are so.....2004! :tongue:

To all show designers out there, there is now an EXPECTATION OF EXCITEMENT coming to a stadium near you! Time to get dressed!

All I have to say is that DCA will be seeing a lot more of my money in the future than DCI will. The only change I was ever really "for" was going to Bb/F (for the record, I was against having G bugles with three valves, way back in 1990). My thinking was that it might begin a resurgence in the number of corps around the country. Sadly, the other changes and the incurred expense negated it. It used to be that we bandos wanted to be like drum corps. We marched "corps style," we looked on with admiration, and sometimes envy, at those in our ranks who were also marching corps. But now, it seems to be the other way around; corps are doing band stuff! So the question is, why spend a ton of money and time on the road all summer doing corps, when your band kicks back in in July, and you can do the same thing for a fraction of the cost, and still spend the summer out by the pool, on a mission trip somewhere, or doing gigs that pay? I think that in he long run, all of Hoppy's changes are going to kill DCI, as it will be absorbed into MBA, and be their summer band season. I just pray that Hoppy never takes the reins at Bucs, Bush, Empire, Cru, Sun, or Sky :tongue: . If I want to see a band comp, I'll go out to Hiram, or up to Sprayberry, if they still have one.

Edited by davidp

I guess I'm just not that much of a die-hard dinosaur. I don't have a problem with voice or narration if used properly (as an effect, or to to establish context, not to be the focus with music as an underscore), think amping the pit is fine as long as the sound is balanced ... I draw the line with woodwinds. It's all brass or it's a marching band.

I've got nothing against marching bands, I'm just in to drum corps.

Electronics? Not really into it. The instruments should be acoustic. A drum corps should be able to perform its show without any other power supply other than the energies of 150 or so members. If the power goes out, you've got your everything except amps. You can still get the job done.

I'm waiting for the first corps to come out with a Theremin next year. No doubt to go along with a Danny Elfman score.

I'll be mortified.

no....olde phartz are defined one....by age....and two....by attitude.

"You kids get off my lawn."

"Drum corps don't play any recognizable tunes anymore."

"We should bring back the tic system."

"DCI is destroying drum corps."

How am I doing with the attitude part?

Pretty accurate in my book.

My neighbours kids actually play on my lawn, so does my God Daughter with her Barbie car .etc...

Drum corps plays many tunes I dont know but sure enjoy, research and I enjoy listening to new music that sometimes become favorites. I never heard of "Crown Imperial" but after 1982, Iwent and bought the Casette tape and it started my vast classical music collection, I even dropped a $50 for Ginasterra's "Estancia Ballet Suite" on a Japanese CD back in the winter of 93, just so I would be used to PR's msuic that following summer, I still do these things.

I dont care about the tic system, I think the judging system is just fine, sure it can be altered and refined and improved, that altogether is a horse of a different color.

DCI isnt destroying drum corps, DCI is the drum corps. Creatively defunc designers, with stale ideas, too much power and a desire to outdo one another are definetly destroying drum corps. So is the economy, todays society attracting kids away from he activity...etc....

How am I doing ??

Geoffrey

I am surprised that so many folks here are so negative on the future of the activity. Let's review: We have a new champion (Phantom) which was an audience favorite due to a retro show concept and a face-ripping performance. We have Crown, who achieved their highest placement to date with VERY recognizable stuff and outstanding execution. We have Madison and Blue Stars back in finals, also with very audience friendly shows, and BAC who maintained their 10th place finish with a very audience friendly show despite a very young corps, but the one corps who prides itself on pushing the esoteric envelope had a hard time getting applause, and ended with a low placement (for them) despite massive changes...Cadets.

I am VERY hopeful for 2009. I've been around the activity since the 70's, and I think that audience engagement is back.

Finally, we know that many of these rules changes have emanated from Hoppy. Does anyone here on DCP REALLY think he still has the clout the he had just 3 years ago? I do not. And, when it comes to the judging/creative interaction, don't forget that that which is rewarded is what gets perpetuated.

Be ready for more viceral, in your face shows in 09!!! Obscure, esoteric, meaning-of-life art exhibits are so.....2004! :tongue:

To all show designers out there, there is now an EXPECTATION OF EXCITEMENT coming to a stadium near you! Time to get dressed!

From your fingers to Gods ear, Craig...lets hope !!!

Geoffrey

I was wondering about the dulcimer though, I saw them 3 times prior to finals week but not since their Michigan City show and I don’t remember it being in there. I’m guessing they count it as tonal percussion but under that qualification an amped piano should be legal too – but was it? I doubt it

Someone mentioned in another thread that an amplified piano would be legal under the current rules, it would just be really difficult logistically considering the amount of moving/retuning it would require.

I'd say you should probably return that paintbrush you're using to your local hardware store. . . :tongue:

good one....I know....way too broad....just my style....it tends to drive more conversation I have found. I have no issues being wrong as long as we can have a stimulating conversation regarding the topic. I happliy admit I am wrong when I am.

And on this point...that I can easily lump everyone who does not like narration into a single bag and tie pretty silk ribbons on it...I am wrong...I can't do that. And neither can the folks who have said that DCI is destroying drum corps. They can't prove that either.

But here's the problem, before anyone can even have a chance to design shows with the current set of "toys" (for lack of a better term), here they go and indroduce something that has the potential to change the activity quite a bit. Would it hurt anyone to put the brakes on for at least 2 years in a row?

ah....but again...the age old argument....there are few MUSTS in this activity other than show up on time, leave on time, don't bring too many people and don't go out of bounds.....there aren't that many MUSTS.

I think the corps from Concord happily proved that fact this year.