OK Olde Phartz

I hope the changes will drive away some of the "legacy fans"

THEY DRIVE ME WACKO always expecting things to be the way they were when THEY marched, and thinking the shows are designed for THEM instead of the marching members

Sooner old timers are gone the better IMO

Sorry to be blunt but that's my few - if DCI doesn't continue to change it will die

It is always funny how the current members want all the old fans to leave. Well that is until winter when they come on here begging for sponsorships so they can march. Why don't you see how many of your 23-24 year old friends will foot your bill. I bet you can't find many.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is always funny how the current members want all the old fans to leave. Well that is until winter when they come on here begging for sponsorships so they can march. Why don't you see how many of your 23-24 year old friends will foot your bill. I bet you can't find many.

LOL.... THAT'S SO FUNNY...BUT OOOO SO TRUE. Now not that I agree a lot with the glory days some people refuse to leave BUT as I see it the disrespect some kids in the activity have is just a result of the times. Instant gratification...corps hopping...who's the buzz of the week..etc etc. What kids have to look at is who are the great ones...who are the ones helping them get somewhere ,,, who are the ones teaching them..who are the people in this activity that have achieved longevity, who is giving them the tools.......... it's always the old consistent and dedicated people to the activity. IF they don't learn this they wont be around long ,, Ive see it happen time and time again with some hot shot children coming out of a popular program. They initially get a lot of teaching jobs and ALWAYS fail because they really haven't learned a thing.. It's always short lived.

But to those who learn....... :lol:

LOL.... THAT'S SO FUNNY...BUT OOOO SO TRUE. Now not that I agree a lot with the glory days some people refuse to leave BUT as I see it the disrespect some kids in the activity have is just a result of the times. Instant gratification...corps hopping...who's the buzz of the week..etc etc. What kids have to look at is who are the great ones...who are the ones helping them get somewhere ,,, who are the ones teaching them..who are the people in this activity that have achieved longevity, who is giving them the tools.......... it's always the old consistent and dedicated people to the activity. IF they don't learn this they wont be around long ,, Ive see it happen time and time again with some hot shot children coming out of a popular program. They initially get a lot of teaching jobs and ALWAYS fail because they really haven't learned a thing.. It's always short lived.

But to those who learn....... :lol:

Not to ignite this dead story again but it's a 2-way street. I hate this whole "it's a sign of the times" "my generation was better behaved than yours" b.s. All you have to do is look no further than the 60's to realize that teenagers have always been ungrateful and self-absorbed. How quickly people forget what little shiznits they were at that age. We can also say it's a sign of the times that adults act like immature adolescents now more than ever.

We can also say it's a sign of the times that adults act like immature adolescents now more than ever.

That's because our kids are driving us crazy.... :lol:

DCI blasters.....been pretty quiet about the amps, narration, Bb horns.

Maybe finals this year DID prove something. The fan favorite can win.

There is a great post by DCIHasBeen HERE! If you haven't read it, you should.

It appears to me that what has always been best about drum corps HAS been preserved and this year validates it.

So, it's not about G horns, amps, narration...it's about a high quality performance that touches audience members.

Congratulations to DCI for bringing this wierd, goofy, artform/sport/theater/circus/halftime show thing into our lives for another year.

And congratulations to all the corps...all of you deserve our support. And those wierd guys in the green shirts...thanks for not getting in the way of this.

Well this year certainly got my attention. There was a lot of stuff I enjoyed. Sorry, I did not enjoy the narration. Perhaps this year showed that narration really doesn't do it for drum corps. Only The Cadets allowed it to dominate their show, and they even cut it back.

When electronic instruments were passed, I said to myself that this would be the last year I would like drum corps. I hope I am wrong, but if not, then this year went out with a bang.

Thanks to all the drum corps and their hard working members.

I hope the changes will drive away some of the "legacy fans"

THEY DRIVE ME WACKO always expecting things to be the way they were when THEY marched, and thinking the shows are designed for THEM instead of the marching members

Sooner old timers are gone the better IMO

Sorry to be blunt but that's my few - if DCI doesn't continue to change it will die

Before you know it young man you will be old. It goes fast. I thought the same thing in 1975 and it seems like yesterday. Remember my words 30 years from now. I thought I would NEVER say I miss ths old-time shows 80-90's but it's here, it's real and it has happened.

Someone mentioned in another thread that an amplified piano would be legal under the current rules, it would just be really difficult logistically considering the amount of moving/retuning it would require.

Many HS bands have used keyboards through their amplification and had them as part of the pit. Would that be legal???

Edited by pianolover1

I went to the movie theater to see the Quarter Finals and may return see finals in Indianapolis...mainly due to Phantom

I never thought I would want to see the return of the "tic" system, but the lower level corps need some help in the Visual department. They need geometry lessons and beat maintenance or something. They seem to play well, but their visual programs were too hard for the ability of their members. One corps put their whole horn line on the 50 and still couldn't get it straight, Troopers Sunburst looked squished on both sides (Jim Jones was a-rolling over in his grave), many timing problems with the flags, many spacing and phasing errors all over the place, etc.. I was highly disappointed in their performance.

They are all trying to march a Cadet or Cavalier drill and they can't pull it off.

<snip beautiful rant>

There’s no easy way to say this but I’m really disappointed with the drum tuning. The snares sound like thud with snap and the altos (formerly known as tenors) are way too high in pitch. That may be why they do not seem to project as well. And for the bass lines, drop the high drum and add some bottom out there. If I were running one of the lines, I would go back and try 15” snares with Silver Dots. At least they had some tone quality.

On a positive note, the demand is there given the number of notes played combined with the running across the field. Is it tougher than those of years ago? I’m not sure.

Welcome to the ROOF--the Royal Order of Old Farts. :worthy:

Us mylar lovers hang out over this way.... :lol:

[Can somebody make a dinosaur emoticon for us old farts? Please?]

Percussion

As a former percussionist, I was amazed and disappointed at the same time. I do recall the time when the pit was created. I also recall when everything was carried. I think the pit has grown out of control. I specifically watched one of the top eight and unfortunately cannot recall specifically which D&BB it was but the pit extended 30 yards! It seems like there is a contest as to who can find the most stuff to throw in there.

Does anyone beside me enjoy watching some of the 70’s and 80’s corps on You Tube? If you’ve not done so, go watch some of them. Notice how clean the field is compared to today. Sure there has been some interesting musical effects added, but at what cost? What would happen if someone dropped about 50% of the pit and went back to marching equipment? A renaissance could develop in the activity by having some movement in this direction.

There’s no easy way to say this but I’m really disappointed with the drum tuning. The snares sound like thud with snap and the altos (formerly known as tenors) are way too high in pitch. That may be why they do not seem to project as well. And for the bass lines, drop the high drum and add some bottom out there. If I were running one of the lines, I would go back and try 15” snares with Silver Dots. At least they had some tone quality.

On a positive note, the demand is there given the number of notes played combined with the running across the field. Is it tougher than those of years ago? I’m not sure.

OK - I'm an old fart - probably older than you. I agree that pits are a bit too big and the field looks messy, but I don't see a return to marching keyboard instruments as a result.

As for tuning - somewhat agree on tenors, could be a little lower for my taste, but on bass - I disagree. I like the sound of a well tuned modern bassline. Snares, sorry but I mostly disagree here too. I know what you mean about the warmer mylar sound, but the snare response you get on kevlar at low end dynamics is far superior. You don't turn into single tenors at PP levels. Overall, I like the technological changes that have happened in the last 20-30 years.