OK Olde Phartz

It is always funny how the current members want all the old fans to leave. Well that is until winter when they come on here begging for sponsorships so they can march. Why don't you see how many of your 23-24 year old friends will foot your bill. I bet you can't find many.

How do you get from his comment: "...some of the "legacy fans"..." to your "...all the old fans..."????

I doubt greatly that the poster is referring to those who continue to support DCI drum corps in the many ways mentioned in all of the posts since his started the furor.

There are a bunch who continue to whine and complain about things that make DCI somewhat different than it was when they marched...yet ignore the many things..IMO the important things...that make it the same as when they marched.

My own guess, as one who first started marching in 1964 at age 10 1/2, is that those are the people the poster is talking about.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was encouraged by this years performances. However, with next years introduction on electronics, it pushed me out the door for good.

Therefore, i will not be attending any more shows going forward.

Well, yes, for me, this certainly is a case of one step forward, two (or more) steps back. Just when I was feeling hope for the future of drum corps. . . .

Still, I hope that, as with amplified narration, the majority of corps will resist the urge to play with the latest electronic toys (at the expense of their overall performance). A girl can dream.

How do you get from his comment: "...some of the "legacy fans"..." to your "...all the old fans..."????

I doubt greatly that the poster is referring to those who continue to support DCI drum corps in the many ways mentioned in all of the posts since his started the furor.

There are a bunch who continue to whine and complain about things that make DCI somewhat different than it was when they marched...yet ignore the many things..IMO the important things...that make it the same as when they marched.

My own guess, as one who first started marching in 1964 at age 10 1/2, is that those are the people the poster is talking about.

Geez, Mike! Are you BLIND???

"Sooner old timers are gone the better IMO" is a pretty all-inclusive statement.

I was encouraged by this years performances. However, with next years introduction on electronics, it pushed me out the door for good.

Therefore, i will not be attending any more shows going forward.

That's a pretty short-sighted view of things if you've already decided to leave based on what may happen in the future... just because a bunch of whacked-out rules got approved, it doesn't mean that any of the corps will actually use them. Seems it was more of a game to see how much junk could get passed. IMO, if brass needs to be amped, then they shouldn't be on the field in the first place.

Murphy's Law: The more electronics you use, the more likely it will be that something will fail at a critical time. While I wouldn't have minded if some of the mic's had failed this year, can you imagine the gaps it would have left in the show?

That's a pretty short-sighted view of things if you've already decided to leave based on what may happen in the future...

We've all heard electronics someplace and have an idea of where we would/would not want it. If drum corps is a place where we would not want it, why spend the money on the tickets, gas, etc?

Geez, Mike! Are you BLIND???

"Sooner old timers are gone the better IMO" is a pretty all-inclusive statement.

IMO he is referring to the 'some' he mentioned in the top of his post. I don't read it as you do, otherwise he would not have used the word 'some' at the start of his post.

so no, I am not blind. :rock:

Thanks for the disrespectful personal comment.

IMO he is referring to the 'some' he mentioned in the top of his post. I don't read it as you do, otherwise he would not have used the word 'some' at the start of his post.

so no, I am not blind. :rock:

Thanks for the disrespectful personal comment.

You single yourself out.

You read it differently as "I"/"we" do. Congratulations in your minority of one. It must feel mighty superior to correct everyone else on this dudes statement.

Thanks for the lecture about attitude, Mr. Brace, and for again proving my point that your activity has no interest in respecting its century-long past and its pioneering early heroes, the men and women who worked -mostly for free, unlike your current mercenaries - to build what became a stunningly-successful North American system of hundreds upon hundreds of drum and bugle corps and contests in nearly every corner of the continent, corps that used to welcome all ages and all talents.

And then ... and then... we handed that mantle over to the Combine, and then DCI.

So look around at all the ghosts of corps and shows and fans and members that aren't there anymore, and then tell us more about attitude.

As to the current topic here: your lost audience is lost forever. They won't come back. A few like myself do check in here on occasion out of a sense of morbid fascination with slow and ongoing decay -- like people who photograph once-beautiful but now-abandoned buildings or study the works of Goya and Ivan Albright.

Ouch! Touche!

You single yourself out.

You read it differently as "I"/"we" do. Congratulations in your minority of one. It must feel mighty superior to correct everyone else on this dudes statement.

Ah, so now disagreeing is a valid reason to make snarky personal comments about another person. OK.