OK Olde Phartz

Did this year draw me back into the fold? Yes! This is the most excitement I've felt for drum corps probably since the early '90s. :lol:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..and yet. Most people didn't notice that the cymbal line has been replaced by the pit. :(

Some still keep a cymbal line like SCV...

I fart in your general direction. :worthy:

:lol::worthy::tongue::tongue::lol::lol::tongue:

And I got to hear "that ain't Drum Corps" in the mid 70s from people who started in the late 50s. Back then some of the younger folks thought the oldsters were crazy not to enjoy the (mid 70s) style.

By the late 80s/early 90s lot of those 70s people left because of what was going on the field. Just like I see 80s/90s members not liking or leaving because of the last few years of changes.

Nuthin' new under the sun...

And when we changed our uniforms in 27 in 1985 and 1986 we caught all kinds of hades for it from former members etc...etc...and our show in 86 was such a change from the norm and trying to go into the direction of the activity people didn't accept how great it was until many years later.

Edited by Lancerlady

Some still keep a cymbal line like SCV...

And Scouts brought their plate line back this year.

"But I would agree...there are tons of legacy fans...I guess that's now the accepted term...in the stands as well. I think this year's show pleased them. In some cases, I am hearing from legacy fans who are going to buy the DVD this year for the first time ever or the first time in a long time."

I am one of those guys. As a "legacy" fan, I felt that DCI peaked in the late 80's/ early 90's as the triangulation of melodic content, in your face emotion, and talent steadily rose from DCI's inception to about 1991. Then we saw a steady diet of esoterica, visual at the expense of melody, and a whole host of flaws too numerous to mention. Then seemingly out of nowhere, we get a finals for the ages. Phantom led the way but there was a whole slew of great moments from the entire top 12. Back in 1975, when DCI was first telivised live, baseball was losing its appeal, the sport was considered "boring" and it was losing its place as America's past time. The in one magical night, Carlton Fisk hit the foul pole in the dramatic game 6 of the World Series and everything that made baseball great was amplified and the fans came back in droves. I consider the Phantom Regiment's performance akin to Fisk hitting the fole pole. It amplified everything that makes drum corps the great sport it is, and I for one will be running, not walking to buy the DVDS.

..and yet. Most people didn't notice that the cymbal line has been replaced by the pit. :(

I think there's more cymbal lines than people believe. This year, at least Academy, Pioneer, Pacific Crest, Scouts, Crossmen, Spirit, Colts, and Vanguard had them, and there might have been one or two I missed. They don't do much for me, but it might have been fun if PR had one this year for Spartacus.

Edited by corps-mudgeon

As a "legacy" fan, I felt that DCI peaked in the late 80's/ early 90's as the triangulation of melodic content, in your face emotion, and talent steadily rose from DCI's inception to about 1991. Then we saw a steady diet of esoterica, visual at the expense of melody, and a whole host of flaws too numerous to mention. Then seemingly out of nowhere, we get a finals for the ages. Phantom led the way but there was a whole slew of great moments from the entire top 12. Back in 1975, when DCI was first telivised live, baseball was losing its appeal, the sport was considered "boring" and it was losing its place as America's past time. The in one magical night, Carlton Fisk hit the foul pole in the dramatic game 6 of the World Series and everything that made baseball great was amplified and the fans came back in droves. I consider the Phantom Regiment's performance akin to Fisk hitting the fole pole. It amplified everything that makes drum corps the great sport it is, and I for one will be running, not walking to buy the DVDS.

Hear, hear! :lol:

Your opinion and you're entitled to it.

Now as someone who was a big supporter of several DCI corps before job loss in 2003, 22 months out of work, and a new job paying 35% less than my old one did made me re-evaluate spending, I have a request for all this new blood: OPEN YOUR #### WALLETS.

If you want us dinosaurs gone, you have to realize that the monetary support tends to go with it. Based on the number of letters stuffing my mailbox this season asking for extra money, it would appear that y'all aren't filling the gap that us old reptiles have left. Time to put up.... :tongue:

Thanks for reading. :lol:

:worthy::lol::lol: