1989 BD

DCI had him shut down because he knew something about the Muchachos in 1975.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not make an excuse, but I remember the weather wrecking havoc on my chops the week of finals in KC in 89. It was wicked hot, and muggy, and despite using lots of lip stuff, my chops were toast. After hearing him hack that note, you news it was more than just a hack. Sounded like his lips were fatigued just a bit. It's a long season man, and it can happen to all of us, and does.

Edited by Newseditor44

Not make an excuse, but I remember the weather wrecking havoc on my chops the week of finals in KC in 89. It was wicked hot, and muggy, and despite using lots of lip stuff, my chops were toast. After hearing him hack that note, you news it was more than just a hack. Sounded like his lips were fatigued just a bit. It's a long season man, and it can happen to all of us, and does.
I have to say, you are the first person to mentioned the weather being a factor and may answer the question as to why some of the solos from SCV's show had some minor miscues.
He nailed it every show....only fraked it once...unfortunately, at the worst possible time.

It was the worst frack in corps history, IMO

He did NOT get beat up by the corps afterwards

Nothing bad happened to him...he's currently an attorney in practice with his mother (I tried to get him into the alum corps last year, in fact)

He did NOT cost BD a win....the score differance was bigger than any drop from the frack

It's funny to think about the previous threads about this topic and people talking about all kinds crazy stories that took place before/after that night ranging from drugs to being beaten up. Edited by Jeffe77

I have to say, you are the first person to mentioned the weather being a factor and may answer the question as to why some of the solos from SCV's show had some minor miscues.

It's funny to think about the previous threads about this topic and people talking about all kinds crazy stories that took place before/after that night ranging from drugs to being beaten up.

Some people even had him sharing a grave with Jimmy Hoffa! :lol:

I talked to him briefly about non-profit paperwork for En Garde and mentioned the BD alum corps, but he hadn't picked up a horn in 10 years.

Some people even had him sharing a grave with Jimmy Hoffa! :lol:

I talked to him briefly about non-profit paperwork for En Garde and mentioned the BD alum corps, but he hadn't picked up a horn in 10 years.

Really don't blame him.

The one thing I remember that I do not recall seeing discussed is the other soloist. I thought that he did a good job of keeping it together. He took the end of his next part down an octave and I always thought that he did that in case the first soloist needed to as well. Quick thinking, musically speaking.

The one thing I remember that I do not recall seeing discussed is the other soloist. I thought that he did a good job of keeping it together. He took the end of his next part down an octave and I always thought that he did that in case the first soloist needed to as well. Quick thinking, musically speaking.

Good point....and as a trivia note, the performance of the very last few notes (the high glissando) was FAR better on finals night than prelims.

Agreed.....the crap that's been written about him since then woudl turn anyone off from playing.

Don't misinterpret me....you might like him but I marched with him and he was a major dick........couldn't have happened to a nicer person....