Dancer in the Dark

Its not very uplifting of a story...and with its small repetoire it may be a problem.

Sounds like a natural for an entire show.

Instead of Phantom's drum major slitting the throat of a major character, the corps electing to perform the small repertoire show that is not uplifting could hand out plastic knives so members of the audience could try slitting their wrists, sort of the next step in audience involvement beyond yelling, "I am Spartacus."

An announcement could also be made a half hour before the corps' performance reminding fans to be sure they had taken their Zoloft for the day.

I don't think its that far off as a reality. I know Mike D would like it. Just think about the possibilities: speaking parts, guitar, soundtrack, amplifcation, piano......... :rock:

Oh PLEASE don't get him started again....

This would be a good show. I think 'I've Seen it All' would be awesome to hear on the field. '107 Steps' would be hard to do without the counting of the steps at the beginning. 'In the Musicals' would be a great drum feature.

I think using music by Bjork would be awesome. I would love to hear 'Venus as a Boy' as an opener. 'It's Oh So Quiet' would also be cool to hear on the field.

I think using music by Bjork would be awesome. I would love to hear 'Venus as a Boy' as an opener. 'It's Oh So Quiet' would also be cool to hear on the field.

Winner.

Totally agree on these . . hell, use the timpani riff at the beginning of "Human Behavior" as the preshow. :rock:

How would you guys think of a corps using Dancer in the Dark (full musical drama) as a show concept to convey the emotions of the film?

Its not very uplifting of a story and is ranked by many as the saddest film of all time. I think in this respect, and with its small repetoire it may be a problem.

Here's what I can see happening:

Dancing in the Dark from Band Wagon - Small Ensemble and Pit Pre-Show (Old Film Feel)

Sound Mimicking Film Reel as a Transition into the Overture (Transit.)...

Overture - Brass Ballad Opening

My Favorite Things - The Rehearsal of the Show with Selma

Cvalda Song - Spliced with So Long, Farewell (Transit.)

-With an echoing effect various brass lines fade out.

-Pit sounds stop suddenly only to restart again...

Cvalda Song - Spliced in different time with the hornline doing double-time

-Sudden Stop after only a brief time...

Cvalda Song - Full song

- Sudden Stop at end of the double-time segment...

I've Seen It All - Nothing much to say here. Just let it be.

- Might be of interest to add in lines of Sound of Music or Band Wagon

Scatterheart - May be difficult

It's Just Another Musical/In the Musicals

- Flags depict literal scenes from the movie: eye-sight test, communist hammer/sickle

My Favorite Things - Spliced with a bit of Pluto

107 Steps/Overture - The end is where it began

- Use of Heartbeat rhythms...

What do you think? It might not seem like anything if you have never seen the movie. Do you think its possible?

Ok I can't resist, the title of the thread sounds too much like the B movie titled "Dark Dancer." Problem is that it was a Shannon Tweed flick and no I haven't seen it. A friend of mine happens to know someone in that film. lol :rock:

Wes P

Winner.

Totally agree on these . . hell, use the timpani riff at the beginning of "Human Behavior" as the preshow. :blink:

I also like 'Joga' as a ballad. 'It's In Our Hands' is another good one. I love the percussive beats in the background.

The music would make a great show. The plot of the movie...not so much