Auditions 2009

I'd LOVE to do a DCI corps next year.....any suggestions??

I play mellophone, 3yrs of DCA & I'm from upstate NY.

Blue Stars. My son will be a fourth year mello and loves the fact that they get awesome parts every year. Had some 32nd notes this past year in the show :smile: . It is also a great atmosphere due to the number of longtime members and the awesome staff.

Plus, my wife is a SUNY - Fredonia alum :smile:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone is good enough for one of the top world class corps, how are they really supposed to pick which corps they go to. All of them are good. Why favor one more than another. Wont you get a great experience from practically any one? And if you are stuck in the middle of 2 of them, distance doesnt matter? How are you supposed to pick which one you want to go for? Thats kind of whats going through my head right now, except i dont think im good enough. Im trying to get good enough though for maybe the 2010 season?

If someone is good enough for one of the top world class corps, how are they really supposed to pick which corps they go to. All of them are good. Why favor one more than another. Wont you get a great experience from practically any one? And if you are stuck in the middle of 2 of them, distance doesnt matter? How are you supposed to pick which one you want to go for? Thats kind of whats going through my head right now, except i dont think im good enough. Im trying to get good enough though for maybe the 2010 season?

Whether or not you are good enough right now, try out anyway. If you go to a live audition you get your face in the mix and the benefit of some great instruction. I think you should focus on your particular section and take a listen to various corps from top to bottom. See who's got some parts you appreciate at a talent level you think YOU can achieve by practicing like you've never practiced before. Then try to find some folks who marched at those corps and ask them some questions. What is important is that you try because you might be surprised.

Also, as others have said: consider marching somewhere other than your top few "dream corps." I'll be honest and say when I got called by a friend to march Troopers I wasn't sure I really wanted to go to Casper. I'm SO glad I did. What you see on the field as a final product is just a tiny fraction of what marching is all about. Sure, that's what fans focus on, but most people who marched probably don't recall many of their live shows. It's what happens off the field of competition that makes those summer(s) so special.

Yes, you would get a great experience no matter where you march.

Is there one or a few corps that are just your personal favorites in the types of shows they present, and the general sryle they project to the world, on and off the field? I know of a tuba player from my state, NJ, who wanted to do DCI (back 10 years ago or so...he worked with the band I write for)...specifically the Blue Devils, as he loved their overall style...he had zero interest in marching with The Cadets, as their style was just not his thing. He ended up marching contra at BD.

If you have no personal favorite, then I would pick one local and give them a shot...even this year. The experience of an audition is something worthwhile...and you never know. Sometimes desire and attitude factor in as much or more than pure playing skills.

Best of luck...and if I had one word of advice...it would be this...MARCH :smile:

Yeah, i march DCA right now. Ive also done 5 years of marching band, and 2 years of an indoor drumline (got 2nd in our class at a WGI regional, so its a decent line). I know what im doing, just i dont think im good enough yet. There arent really any open corps close to me, i think... or any of the bottom tier world class corps. Glassmen is closer than regiment/cavaliers for me, but i still consider them definately up there. Bluecoats are even closer, and Cadets are about the same distance as indiana/illinois. I really like Cadets and Phantom, so i hope to get maybe 1 more season of DCA under my belt then ill try out for 1 of them, im thinking Cadets.

Another question: As you might be able to tell from the fact that i have done indoor drumline, im a percussionist. I have heard that all auditions for corps is pretty much a few month process. Like 4 camps or something, but i read on Phantom's site a while back that auditions were only one weekend. Do they only say that on the site, then tell you about the other auditions once you get passed that weekend? I would try out for DCI if i didnt feel like i was wasting my money. I would hate to go to a few camps, then be told im not nearly good enough. Even if ill learn a lot, i dont have a ton of money.... And maybe by the time im "cut" it'll be too late to get into any other line?

Blue Stars. My son will be a fourth year mello and loves the fact that they get awesome parts every year. Had some 32nd notes this past year in the show :sad: . It is also a great atmosphere due to the number of longtime members and the awesome staff.

Plus, my wife is a SUNY - Fredonia alum :sad:

haha sweet!! the few corps I want to try-out at (gotta pick one first!) are all far away....and I can't afford the plane tickets back & forth!!! :lookaround:

forget INT, they always appear at finals but never win. I'm actually auditioning for my couch this winter. going for the upper lead beer section.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you're auditioning for a "top 6" corps there are some that are infamous for stringing you (and your money) along

until April or so. By then your "second choice" corps is full and you're home watching American Idol reruns for the summer.

Amen. My mistake last year was not having a back up. As for this year I am definitely going to Glassmen and thinking about Spirit, or Blue Stars as a second corps.

My main choice this season is Bluecoats. I've grown to love them over the past four years.

If all else fails, I'd be more than happy to return to Southwind if they field a corps this year.