In light of the retreat discussion

Well IF that's the case, then the leaders of these organizations are the ones who need an education. These are private companies with free association that can set whatever rules they want for participation. This isn't a public school or government organization. (Even then, I think the powers that be bend over too much in the wrong direction, but that's another discussion entirely). Stand at attention or not, wear this uniform or not, talk or not, play correctly or not -- these are all legitimate rules of an organization with which members are free to associate with (and accept said rules) or not.

You mean rules like, oh, say, requiring a Y chromosome?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the vast majority of the public saw, or heard, any of this nonsense.

Not saying it isn't a problem that needs to be addressed, just saying that it wasn't as visible (thank the gods) as people here are making it out to be.

You forget that "most of the people" who have seen and heard this ATB "performance" saw it on youtube. Not everyone was fortunate enough to be in Bloomington that night. I saw it on the 'tube' and couldn't even watch-listen to the whole thing, it made me feel ill. It was obvious disrespect for the song, and themselves. I would hate for a performance like that to be associated with the activity I love, but there it is and it will never die. One can only hope that when DCI or the corps are looking for sponsorship or other such associations outside of the activity, their potential new associates dont find this when they research this 'drum corps thing' and put DCI into their youtube search.

RANT

I've seen my share of "wtf" moments on retreat over the years, but mostly, they were isolated and rare. That's no excuse to say that made it ok, just reporting on the quantity of things I witnessed in the past. What I saw this year (and heard about from others who were also there at other areas of the field) was nothing short of appalling. I do think it comes down to the directors and administrative/instructional staffs of the corps. If they consider it a priority to portray their corps with a certain image that is respectful not only of their own uniform, but of their competitors, chances are that corps will behave well at the big retreat. I'm truly amazed at the lack of respect some corps show to their own uniforms! If I were an alum of those corps, you can be sure I would be raising hell about it to that corps' board of directors. If you want to treat the uniform I wore with such disdain, then perhaps you don't deserve to wear it. And isn't it even more alarming that some of these corps directors are also alumni of their corps?? Have we really come to the point where pride in your corps and respect for your uniform (and for those who wore it before you) is just so passe that it is to be totally suspended for the last hour of the season? I guess for those corps it is.

What is totally incongruous to me is the sudden disconnect of excellence with some of these groups. Here we have some championship calibre drum corps and performers who approach virtually every single thing they do all summer long with a mind towards excellence and being the absolute best at what they do. Then, for some inexplicable (to me, anyway) reason, they come off the field after their finals performance, go back out on the field, and all that excellence goes out the window. They no longer care about looking good. They no longer care about the uniform. They don't care AT ALL about respect given to other corps, and it devolves into this amazingly sad display of a championship level corps totally (and apparently willingly) bringing shame upon themselves and the activity. (And if they don't think they are doing so, they are mistaken.)

And for those who drag out the old "blowing off steam" or "they're just kids having some fun" stuff.....sorry, I ain't buying it. An amazing thing has happened at numerous DCI Finals retreats over the past 30 years or so. You stood there, got your scores, the audience went wild as it does today, and then you got to exit the stadium and go back to the parking lot and let off all the steam you want! Out of uniform. Without directly disrespecting any other corps, or bringing shame to your own. You actually celebrated with your family and friends right by your side, taking as many pictures as you wished, perhaps lighting up a stogie or having a drink or two, having the time of your life. No audience watching. No corps standing right next to you to insult so blatantly. I truly fear that if something doesn't happen soon to turn this thing around, we will come to the point where some of the members of these corps will purposefully be attempting to see how far they can go to mess with other corps (whether their intentions are "playful" or not). A line will be crossed one day that could very well lead to an extremely ugly (AND PUBLIC) incident. I pray that never happens.

There is no reason 12 corps can't actually live up to the approach they've taken all summer long to get to that night for another hour or so. The fact that some refuse to do so and allow themselves to NOT display that excellence is a black eye towards the activity IMO. These corps are better than this. It's a shame some refuse to show it. Character counts.

Were Bluecoats really passing out and puking on themselves? Wow.

not all of them...

I think the majority...by a lot..of the posts in the thread revolve around three things...

1) Goofing around in the ATB performance...is that ever acceptable

2) Alleged drunken corps members...is that ever acceptable

3) The Cavie member encroaching on the Cadet's block...complete with photograqphic evidence of Hoppy standing over the guy....is movig into another corps space ever acceptable?

Outside of those things, I have not read too many posts about the idividuality exhibited by various corps. Just think how many less posts there would have been if the Cavie member had fallen within the Cavie block.

where can that picture be seen? :p

When I marched (back when indoor toilets were new), if we goofed off in retreat, or let down our bearing in any way, you would have a bad ### horn sgt up in your bonce like white on rice. It just wasn't done. Even at Finals we only relaxed when the ORDER to relax came. Even then, we had retreat discipline ingrained in us so much that many found it difficult to do so. When we put on the Red Cadet, a different persona took us all over. As Charlie Anderson used to tell us...

"Business hat....ON"

"Back in the day", when I marched, NOBODY broke ranks, or came into another corps' block. If it happened, that person would have had a hard time walking back to their block. I witnessed about a 60 year old man try to walk through a corps' line as they waited to go on for prelims at DCI in 73'. The member told him to not come through there and to go around. He refused and tried to get through. He ended up on his butt, with the DM standing over him, telling him to either wait or go around. It was way cool and something I never forgot.

I have read a few posts in this thread that state because of DCI not having reatreats throughout the summer that corps members do not know how to behave while attending a retreat. Well, my children do not regualrly attend funerals or weddings but when they do they know how to act and to be respectful.

Mom

Edited by BACMom

Just thought i'd say this. My one of my instructors who marched cavaliers and I were talking last night and I asked him about the Cavalier that had fallen into the cadets block. He wasn't fake feinting or anything...He had locked his legs and passed out. Hope that helps so now we can stop all the hating.