Who is the best corps NEVER to win a DCI TITLE ?

Crown has been hot the past few years but not long enough for me to put them in this category. They're still "new" to me.

that doesnt make sense, they've been in almost every DCI finals since 95 (02 was their down year) and they've been a D2 champion in 93 or 94.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that doesnt make sense, they've been in almost every DCI finals since 95 (02 was their down year) and they've been a D2 champion in 93 or 94.

Yeah, but they're still the new kids on the block when compared to corps with histories like Boston and Crossman.

Young corps (I still consider Crown to be a younger organization) can still be great corps....the two have nothing to do with each other.....but, they're still young.

Back to the OP question:

For current corps, I'd have to say Crossman

For corps that aren't with us anymore.

editted to add: And duh!!! of course the Bridgemen :-)

Peace,

CuriousMe

Edited by CuriousMe

I'd have to put in a vote for Spirit, a corps with a better track record over the years than almost all of those corps already mentioned in this thread (17 appearances in finals, five top 6 finishes and twice in 4th place - including 1980, when the corps was only .8 away from 1st.

I'd say it's between Spirit and 27th Lancers, IMO.

with all respect to crown, bluecoats, and the muchachos, and 27, the best corps never to win a title is the bridgemen. between 77 and 81 they consistently had outstanding hornlines, some of dci's all time best soloists, a creative and original approach to presentation, originated some of the all time classic drum corps hits that went into the standard band repertoire like land of make believe, spanish dreams and in the stone, performed arguably the best musical interpretation of west side story ever, won three straight percussion titles, and were generally just outstanding. like VK they were never judged fairly by judges who thought their irreverent style and showmanship were out of place in such a "serious" activity. i've always wondered how high they would have topped out had they been judged fairly, and not been disqualified in 77 (they were scored in 4th that year, i believe).

I'd have to put in a vote for Spirit, a corps with a better track record over the years than almost all of those corps already mentioned in this thread (17 appearances in finals, five top 6 finishes and twice in 4th place - including 1980, when the corps was only .8 away from 1st.

I'd say it's between Spirit and 27th Lancers, IMO.

good point. people don't talk about them much but the 86 blue devils were maybe the single most dominating corps ever, undefeated wire to wire and swept the captions, and i've talked to a couple of guys on that line that said in 86 spirit was the one corps that worried them, the hornline was just that good. and the 88 spirit show is one of the most underrated all time, an absolutely brilliant hornline, musically the spiritual forerunner of the 93 star show in many ways, they were hammered by judges who openly told them that they were dropping the scores because "spirit should stick to dixie instead of playing petrouchka."

Current?

Crossmen

Bluecoats

The Crossmen and Bluecoats also share the position of being the only two corps that have beaten every other currently existing corps, yet have never won a championship. The Crossmen have been in that position (as far as I know) since 1997 when they beat the Cavaliers. I believe the Bluecoats moved in after the 2006 season.

I'm not sure, but the Blue Stars might belong on this list as well.

I'll rank the best corps to never win a title: (I consider best, meaning overall success, not just being really good a few years)

1. 27th Lancers

2. Bluecoats

3. Spirit

4. Crossmen

5. Blue Stars

6. Glassmen

7. Bridgemen

8. Carolina Crown

9. Troopers

10. Blue Knights

11. Boston Crusaders

12. Suncoast Sound