PRWG out for 2009

MHSmirage

As a Phantom Regiment summer & winter guard alumnus, I'm actually glad that PR has done away with their winter guard this year. After last winter's season, eliminating the winter guard again is exactly what I had hoped would happen. And I knew nothing about Adam and any strife within the PR organization at that time. (Though I had heard rumors of his past challenges with other organizations and the likelihood that he wouldn't last more than a few years at any one organization.)

The world class winter guard out of Atlanta was never truly a Phantom Regiment guard.... not in location, style, membership or much support. Their first year back, I tried to rally PR winter guard alumns to support the new guard and could only get a total of 5 to turn out for the show in Chesterton, IN to cheer on the guard. The guard was fiscally challenged because they began again under the direction that they be 100% financially self-sufficient. That's a daunting task, especially when they didn't look, sound or feel like the Phantom Regiment and were based nowhere near the main support base of the corps.

Additionally, the winter guard did little or nothing to enhance the summer guard program largely because most of the winter guard members didn't and/or couldn't march in the summer. Most were over 22. When we had a winter guard in the past, it served to cement the style and bonds within the guard in order to hit the ground running in the spring.

It's not resonable anymore to have a world-class winter guard based out of Rockford, IL (no competition or HS programs for the members to teach at nearby) whose members are all under 22 (top world class guards are largely older than that) therefore, it doesn't make sense for the Phantom Regiment to have a winter guard. The scenario is very different for SCV.

I think the decision makes perfect sense. And it's best for Adam to create his own winter guard in Atlanta where he doesn't have to answer to anyone but himself and doesn't have any history to live up to.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their first year back, I tried to rally PR winter guard alumns to support the new guard and could only get a total of 5 to turn out for the show in Chesterton, IN to cheer on the guard.

i recall that [i was there] and i know it meant alot to many of the staff and performers. :rolleyes:

thanks for your insightfull reply.

i also understand that adam's decision to leave PR was his own and one he made 2 weeks before the end of the dci season.

name and cast for adam sages new guard to be announced soon! :w00t:

cue music:"devil went down to georgia,

he was lookin for some soul's to steal

he was in a bind

cause he was way behind

and he was willing to make a deal"!

chorus:"chickens in the breadpan pickin out dough

adam does your dog bite,no child,no". :w00t:

Edited by dugg

Dugg. . .we should have a contest to name the new atlanta guard. How about 'Fantom' :tongue::tongue:

howz about CAROLINA CROWN! :tongue:

As a Phantom Regiment summer & winter guard alumnus, I'm actually glad that PR has done away with their winter guard this year. After last winter's season, eliminating the winter guard again is exactly what I had hoped would happen. And I knew nothing about Adam and any strife within the PR organization at that time. (Though I had heard rumors of his past challenges with other organizations and the likelihood that he wouldn't last more than a few years at any one organization.)

The world class winter guard out of Atlanta was never truly a Phantom Regiment guard.... not in location, style, membership or much support. Their first year back, I tried to rally PR winter guard alumns to support the new guard and could only get a total of 5 to turn out for the show in Chesterton, IN to cheer on the guard. The guard was fiscally challenged because they began again under the direction that they be 100% financially self-sufficient. That's a daunting task, especially when they didn't look, sound or feel like the Phantom Regiment and were based nowhere near the main support base of the corps.

Additionally, the winter guard did little or nothing to enhance the summer guard program largely because most of the winter guard members didn't and/or couldn't march in the summer. Most were over 22. When we had a winter guard in the past, it served to cement the style and bonds within the guard in order to hit the ground running in the spring.

It's not resonable anymore to have a world-class winter guard based out of Rockford, IL (no competition or HS programs for the members to teach at nearby) whose members are all under 22 (top world class guards are largely older than that) therefore, it doesn't make sense for the Phantom Regiment to have a winter guard. The scenario is very different for SCV.

I think the decision makes perfect sense. And it's best for Adam to create his own winter guard in Atlanta where he doesn't have to answer to anyone but himself and doesn't have any history to live up to.

How many guards from the early 80's (that still exist) still have the SAME identity that they did back then? Why must you be so judgmental? He tried to offer a refreshing, classic look to the scene (which is VERY Phantom-esq...or at least while he was the caption head). As an alumni, you should be supportive whether they are winning or fighting for the last spot in finals. Your ignorance only mirrors that of the current board AND director of the corps hence the lack of professionalism in announcing his "letting go" which we all know now was ACTUALLY his decision to leave and NOT him getting fired. He resigned graciously. And what does the age of the guard have to do with anything? Its the same throughout ANY world class guard these days. Should he have just taken those under the age of 22? The guard was only out for 2 yrs so that's BARELY enough time to impact the summer guard. And as far as the summer guard, when was the last time in the past 10 years that the guard has been in the top 4? Get OUT of the past and IN to the future.

How many guards from the early 80's (that still exist) still have the SAME identity that they did back then? Why must you be so judgmental?

I did not get the sense that Angie was being judgmental, but rather very practical and pragmatic about her take on what a winter guard that's affiliated with a drum corps program should be doing for that program.

My interpretation of her post was that, if a winter guard attached to a drum corps is supposed to be a way of using competition to keep the guard program cohesive and strong through the winter months, then for Phantom Regiment (the unit that competed in WGI the past couple of years) that was not achieved for a number of reasons: the fact that many members were over DCI's age limit and so would not be able to continue marching that summer, the physical distance away from the corps, etc. It was like having a completely separate winter guard marching under the Phantom name, which is a very different thing from having a winter guard close in proximity to the corps and operating as an integral part of the corps program. If a winter guard isn't fulfilling that role, then what, really, is the purpose of that guard being attached to the corps at all?

For that reason, I can understand Angie's point about supporting Adam's decision to move on.

crown + corona begat tiara,diadem and coronet! :smile:

Edited by dugg

I think the winter guard had a big effect on the summer program. Out of all the guards that compete in WGI only 20-30 of them are Ageless units. Which means you have a whole lot of kids and young adults who are watching Phantom with their eyes wide open in a daze wanting to spin like that. If Phantom is the only place they can go to spin like that then that's where they are going to go. For the corps it was an amazing recruitment tool. For the last few years Phantom Corps and Winter programs have really impressed the hell out of me and the Adam Sage name is legendary in the guard world. Put the two together and you have a top unit corps once again. Will be interesting what happens with Phantom now. Wish them all the best.