Pearson Out at Santa Clara Vanguard

After a conversation with some alums in Indy, I was told a big reason Fielder left was because he wanted Warren's job.

Uh, no.

I sat next to Jeff at the Cavaliers' 60th Anniversary Reunion banquet. Jeff needed something different in his life after giving 35 years to The Cavaliers as a marcher, instructor and director. For those wondering, the SCV position was totally unexpected.

Jeff Pearson is a class act and will end up somewhere good because good people are always in demand.

Jeff Fiedler is the right person at the right time to guide the Vanguard organization in whatever direction it needs to be guided.

I have no idea who will end up as director, but whomever it is will do a great job because Jeff Fiedler will be guiding the process.

It's a time of transition and optimism, not a time of concern.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, couldn't disagree more.

3hree was an AMAZING show. It was just dirty, which is honestly SCV's trademark. Amazing and difficult shows that attempt something new and exciting, that have to be fine tuned beyond the time they have available. If anything they try to take on too much and that hurts their placement.

I agree that 1997-2000 was the last great SCV "dynasty" (ugh), but 2007-2008 were both amazing shows, and I can see the near future holding great things for the organization.

EXACTLY! SCV has just put on some big shoes these last few years and need some time to grow into them. Since 06 they've had some of the absolute hardest shows out there, ESPECIALLY visually, and they're still getting used to that. If they keep going down Pearson's path, they'll figure out what they're doing and then they'll be unstoppable. Remember that Cavalier juggernaut that started off this decade? Be prepared for something similar out of SCV within the next few years.

p.s.

After 08, Webber is better than Gaines hands down now.

Right! Sorry 7th place for the Vanguard is just not good enough. The programing coming out of Santa Clara since 2001 is just not good enough!

I couldn't disagree more. I've loved their programming this decade (and their visual books, as well). Generally, it's been some of my favorite stuff on the field each year, and 2008 was no exception to that.

What they've struggled with, IMO, is (a) organizational and staff stability, and (b) shows that have exceeded the members' abilities, or the time needed to clean them, or both. Their placement is mostly a consequence of other corps that have raised the bar. 7th place is a heck of a lot more impressive these days than it once was.

Best of luck to Jeff Pearson in all his future endeavors. 3hree was an entertaining performance that worked for 2/3 of the show. My only complaint with SCV is : why are they not ready with a full show at the begining of the season?

i wonder if that guy who was forced out in 2007 will come back now. forgot his name.....he had been around for a long time (don't think he had actually marched scv, but fully understood the traditions and whatnot) and was really opinionated and all; i think i'd recognize the name if i saw it. he seemed really charismatic and popular with the members.

If your talking about Myron, he has been around.

no, definitely not him. i think the guy i have in mind was the tour director, but i'm not too sure.

This was one of my changes in a thread not too long ago. I think Jeff came in with the right mindset and with the heart/passion. But it became evident that he was not capable of running this drum corps pretty quickly. And unfortunately, some very key staff members were forced to leave due to sides being picked, not necessarily speaking about instructing staff either.

Although I scream and yell for consistency, I know this move is for the better. Jeff Fielder knows drum corps, and even if he is not director I can sleep soundly at night knowing he is with the organization. I greatly appreciate him for all he did for my alumni corps and my year I was there.

Murray Gusseck came back this year, so who knows....maybe Cascella, Sage, Williams, Acona will be willing to come back. Unfortunately I felt the corps took a step back this year from an instructor stand point. I hope the visual staff stays because I think eventually their system will click with the corps, and then the drill would be deadly!

The key for Vanguard success to in the visual program now, IMO. Pete Weber has already proven to be the best current designer in DCI hands down. Going back to his first year with Madison (2005), he has been the best throughout. Gaines last quality product was 2006, which is why I give Weber the nudge. I hope he stays with the organization as long as Myron did.

Edited by AzEuph