Pearson Out at Santa Clara Vanguard

Jeff Pearson is a good guy, however, after this year's disappointing season, this comes as no surprise. As far as Jeff Fiedler taking over as director, I seriously doubt this will happen. In fact, I am quite confident it won't happen. No offense to Jeff Fiedler intended.

Wrong.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would kind of funny if Fiedler did replace Pearson. Kind of a Dick Sargent-York Bewitched thing.

It would kind of funny if Fiedler did replace Pearson. Kind of a Dick Sargent-York Bewitched thing.

"...the Santa Clara Vanguard is under the direction of Jeff Feidler..."

That would just be weird...

If you know the history of "Bewitched" and those actors, it's a very bad analogy. Dick York left "Bewitched" because of health issues, and ultimately died from complications of emphysema.

Back on topic ... Since Jeff Fiedler is the CEO, he's ultimately calling the shots for the organization on a day-to-day basis. Regardless of what factored in to Jeff Pearson's decision to step down, Fiedler has a very long, very successful track record as a leader and decision-maker in the activity. You can expect the Vanguard organization will be fine.

Regardless, Jeff Pearson did a fine job of steering SCV through some troubled waters over the last few years and deserves credit for all he's accomplished (which is also detailed in the full press release.)

As a Bay Area fan, I can only wish the best of luck to both of these guys.

Well, maybe this is a good thing. Their just not my favorite corps anymore. IMO, Vanguard has lost their way since 2001, getting it back briefly in 2004 and 2005. I would rather them march 2005 and place 8th every year, then do what they've been doing since. The visual was great in '08, but to me their shows have just lacked the Vanguard power, grace and emotion that was dominant in their past. There is so much great classical music out there - it boggles my mind why Vanguard has choosen (by and large) to play the music that has sucked the passion right out of classical music.

It would be great to see Jeff take over as director.

Funny how everyone said that he was only going to be doing the office job in 2008, yet he was on the road a good portion of the summer and directly involved with the corps.

Fixed that for you.

By the way, when did you leave Afghanistan?

About 3 weeks ago. I'm actually home on leave right now, wooo :)