Bluecoats

A. Expecting BD to learn and play America properly is silly absurd.

Fixed. :smile:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Gibbs did, in fact, address this issue, and at length. If you wish to read it, go to Bluedevils.org. As far as most (rational) people are concerned, this issue has been addressed AD NAUSEAM. Let it go. There have been far worse incidents at Finals retreat over the years...far worse. As a direct result of the due diligence and professionalism of the Corps' directors and the greatest majority of the kids who march there, none of these "incidents" have materially damaged the reputations of the activity or of the Corps in question.

I will not deny that there are a few individuals out there, particularly here on DCP, who insist on "achieving satisfaction" for the manner in which THEY were personally "wronged." I'm not a psychiatrist, so I'm not going to touch that one. However, this issue needs to go away so that people can enjoy the 2008 season for what it was and look forward, with great anticipation I hope, to next year.

With all due respect, statements like yours are like blood in the water for people who are concerned about the problems at retreat. Mr. Gibbs' at length addressing of the problem was to state there WAS NO problem, and that the matter was closed, and that whatever problems that weren't there were understandable due to the circumstances, whatever they were.

Thanks Rob, I too have military experience (27 years) and we never spent much time wringing our hands over bad behavior in our ranks. We simply fixed it, quickly, quietly and professionally among ourselves (normally at the lowest level of leadership) , and we never asked outsiders for their help (or permission)! The snipers on this and other topics that want some sort of public retribution (or validation of their thinking through an apology) are to be expected. It's akin to a bad accident...most people slow down and glance.. then drive on, but some must pull over and absorb it all! . Let's leave ALL the corps directors alone to lead in their own way, they know the real facts and they've earned the right to do it!

Agree with you for the most part here (thanks for your service, btw). My only point of contention where I think the fans have a right to complain or ask for an apology or assurances of future improvement is regarding the performance of ATB. That was a performance for the ticket-buying public (encore or no) and so it is proper that the ticket-buying fan would say "Hey, that sucked (seemingly on purpose) -- how can I be assured it won't happen again." Certainly doesn't negate the rest of the stellar performances of the evening that were certainly worth every dollar (to me, at least), but I do think it's a valid complaint. Kind of like going to a baseball game and having to endure Roseanne Barr singing the National Anthem. (Disclaimer: not making any point about patriotic music here, just schlocky performances in general). Baseball game was still worth, but I want to make sure the team takes better care in choosing their singers, that's all :smile:

SO WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED OUT THERE????

Off the record lots of things.....on the record nothing. Nobody airs dirty laundry.

Edited by Piper

I have two problems with the apology...

1st: I didn't feel an apology from any corp was necessary, things happen, not that big a deal. The corps normal deal with these things internally.

2nd: Now that the Director felt it neccessary to address this, why so late? This was a well known issue...

(IMO) By not addressing this early on, it looks more like damage control and not a sincere apology.

Edited by Phantombari1