Help me speak plate...

Okay- so I'm cymbal speak challenged and I need your help.

Give me a brief understanding of the following cymbal abbreviations:

(you may win a cookie)

"VO"

"HH"

"VAL"

"SUC"

"SZL"

"CC"

"TING"

"SLIDE"

...small children in asia depend on these terms being defined quickly, now you don't want that on your soul do you!? :smile:

So a couple of things. First of all, Steve is the man when it comes to cymbals. Second, Plate speak, like any other language, has dialects. Words have different meanings on different coasts. The ones you asked about are pretty much the same on both.

*dating myself*

When we marched there were only three terms: crash, zing, choke.

Everything else was visual. Ah the good ol' simple days.

In 2004?

So a couple of things. First of all, Steve is the man when it comes to cymbals. Second, Plate speak, like any other language, has dialects. Words have different meanings on different coasts. The ones you asked about are pretty much the same on both.

You're too kind.

And yes, different meanings for different techniques.

And Texas, where's my cookie?

Thanks so much Steve!!

...oh and your cookie, it's waiting in the Lucas Stadium, just have to wait till it's completed :lookaround:

hehe, if it's EVERY completed!!!!!

:sad:

Is there any other terms I should know? I'm trying to learn all I can about the plates...please feel free to inform me beyond these basic terms.

So anyone else? Is there other terms...I'd love to hear some people's thoughts.

well I remember "splush" ... but have no clue. It was a long time ago (late '70's) and may have been that instructors own terminology.

Admittedly, I was a snare snob back then... until I got to Madison and realized the cymbal line there were the guys in charge... :lookaround:

In 2004?

HA! Yeah - well. The Renegade cymbals years '97-'00 were a bit strange. For two of those years, I was the only cymbal making up my own visuals and just trying to keep up with *gulp* a fast-ish drill. In 1999 there were two of us - but I think we just eyeballed each other when to crash. heh.

The other years - those dino years in the early 80's - were also a bit strange. I marched partial 'blue' and even kept my music. A quarter page hand written sheet that reads "[rest 56 bars] :sad: ZING! :lookaround: "

MAV

Edited by MAV